Sunday, November 29, 2015

Another Week ~ That's a Wrap!

I am linking up today with my friends, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin to share my ongoing quest to be active and stay healthy.  Link up and support other active women. Share your week!  ㋡ Check out the etiquette here


Many mixed emotions about this past week, 
on paper it doesn't look so bad...

Monday Brrr Morning Biking - 7.71 mi 42:18
Tuesday Cycling - 8.50 mi 37:24
Core Work - 32:51
Wednesday
Elliptical - 30:01
Cycling - 8.50 mi 38:11
Stretching/Planks - 23:00
Thursday
Warm Up - .82 mi 12:45
Turkey Day Run w/Kasey - 5.01 mi 48:53
Walking and Talking - 2.50 mi 44:09
Friday
4 Sunny Miles - 4.01 mi 38:43
Cool Down - .33 mi 5:28
Weight Training - 1:02:09
Saturday REST!
Sunday
Cycling - 11.00 mi 55:26
Stretching/Leg Press - 39:26


Honestly though, I spent a lot of the week not feeling so good. I had a stuffy head, and I just didn't feel 100% energetic during my work outs. Thankfully I had off Thursday and Friday, I didn't accomplish much, but not getting up at the crack of dawn was much needed
I just couldn't bring myself to knock out a really strong two hour cycle ride.  I did try to pick challenging courses on the cycle and go hilly, but I have a half marathon to run this weekend and I don't feel my replacement cardio was stellar. I sure hope I've done enough to keep me smiling through the whole half...we'll see...

The lack of running really started to get to me this week. So many rest days, twelve days so far, broke up by just a few miles. 
I ran because my mood was plummeting...amazing what those short runs did for my state of mind.

I ran 5 miles on Thanksgiving with run buddy 

I felt a little panicky after this, because it felt tougher than it should have. 

SO, I ran again the next day...

4 miles on the hilly side of  my neighborhood. I held a pretty steady pace on the uphill and it was close to 70 degrees. This boosted my mood. I am hoping I have enough zip in my step, to run a 2:11 half next weekend...I don't know, that may be too lofty after barely running for two weeks, but that is what I am hoping for. 
Who knows, when I hit that 200 ft. hill on mile twelve, I may be happy just to get in done in under 2:15 lol 

My foot felt surprisingly good after running on it two days in a row. It still isn't a 100% but it is improving.  The heel tenderness and inflammation in the arch area is gone, but I still feel a sensation under the ball of my foot. Not dead center, but to the outside. It doesn't burn like before, but it still feels like a pebble sort of, but not disruptive. 
Why don't I just go to the doctor you ask? 
I know what his first response will be. Two weeks rest from impact, that is always his answer...I have not rested 2 weeks straight, but I did rest 6 days after my half, ran 5 miles, then rested four more days before I ran again this past week.  Since I am improving, I will just ride it out a few more weeks and see how I do.
I do wonder if I have sprung a new bone spur, or if I just had a bad stress reaction. 
I am prone to bone spurs. 

  • Had surgery in high school for a spur that grew huge on my big toe
  • In my 30's I had x-rays that showed large spurs on both heels
  • Last year a small one popped up on my right foot (about mid way) 
Weird, huh? I do wonder why I get them...


Scenes from Thanksgiving...

Turkey coma....

We got the kitties a new bed, we have to find the perfect spot in the house, 
but they seem to approve. 


This stuff with a a few splashes of OJ ~ yummmm!


Is your tree up? 
Did you score any great black Friday deals? 

43 comments:

  1. I always try to put my tree up the day after Thanksgiving, and did so again this year. Hope your foot continues to feel better and you're able to race with a smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hopeful for next week :)
      A tree is really pretty to look at. If it wasn't for my hubby I would not have got it done.

      Delete
  2. I'm so with you on the foot thing. It's plantar fasciitis. Yep, time off helps, but it always comes back when I run. I consulted the sports med doc at work, and he concurred. Didn't tell me to stop running. (because he knew I wouldn't!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO I am hearing I should just get my butt back out there! It is supposed to rain here most of the week, but I am going to try to get some short runs in :)
      I love my Doc, but the man always says just take time off...ugh!

      Delete
  3. I hope; your foot holds up next week for your race! Love your kitties!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I have a house-full of furry babies :) I can always share lol

      Delete
  4. My tree is up, thanks to the kids. They hung all the ornaments while I decorated the rest of the house. No black friday shopping for me! Blech. I feel discomfort in my foot where it is NOT fractured. What does that even mean? It's frustrating! I felt very much like your kitties look after Thanksgiving Dinner! It was delicious. I think you'll be fine for your half marathon. Just stay calm this week and rest that foot. I appreciate you linking up with us, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five for the kids! That is nice they pitched in :)
      I promise the discomfort will get better. After I got out of the boot, I had different aches that popped up lol Your body just needs to readjust to the impact - slowly! It will happen. It is very annoying though. I am trying to stay calm lol I swear the pounds I gained may be messing with me more than the lack of running!

      Delete
  5. Hello from the link-up! Your rest from running may be just what you need to meet your time goal for your half marathon! Glad that your foot is improving. Have a great week, and hello to your pretty kitties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello link up friend :)
      I hope it isn't toooo much rest! The kitties thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Aw your kitties are so beautiful. :) I bet your house is so cozy!

    You sure did do a lot this week! I know it is not as much running as you wish BUT your foot is improving so I am sure it is worth it. :)

    We did not shop on black friday but we went out Sunday. That plus a huge Amazon.com order and we are almost done with Christmas shopping- just a few little odds and ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan :) My house is hairy lol The cats seem to be cozy wherever they please :)
      On paper my week did look okay, but I feel like I am slacking...I guess it is just me missing the impact! I really have been stuck with a stupid head cold too.
      That is awesome you are almost done! I need to start lol

      Delete
  7. I never know when my foot will hurt and where. I'm hoping for good things on my half next weekend too. It will be hot and humid which I won't be used to so who know?

    My houses is decorated - just a small tree - the kids are grown & my hubby doens't even care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That randomness with the foot is pain! I have a feeling I may be in the same situation.
      I will be thinking good thoughts for you next weekend!
      The warm will be quite a change for you.
      A small tree is nice :)

      Delete
  8. Happy feet vibes sent!

    I'm Jewish so no decorations here. I'm not much into decorating my home anyway.

    No Black Friday shopping but lots of online shopping all weekend long. It will feel like Christmas in a week even though we don't celebrate Christmas. Of course that's when Hannukah starts . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will remember to wish you Happy Hannukah!
      Thanks for the happy feet vibes!! I need it :)

      Delete
  9. Your tree looks pretty, and the cats look very cozy! I have heard that some people are prone to heel spurs...
    We put up one tree, we are moving the 11th, so I am probably crazy for even putting it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!! A new place for the holidays is exciting! That is so sweet you put a tree up for temporary. What a good Mom :)
      Pretty soon I will just be two big lumpy feet if stuff does not stop growing off them!

      Delete
  10. My tree is not up. This week though we will put it up. Also the stupid elves will come out of their boxes. I hate those things. Good luck on your 1/2 this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I confess we only decorated because the hubs started! I am not motivated enough on my own lol

      Delete
  11. Hope your foot continues to heal. Looks like your kitties approve of their new bed. I am not a black Friday shopper. We did however put up our tree and Christmas decorations this wkend. I can't believe Christmas is around the corner. I need to get shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      We usually don't go out on Black Friday, but we did a few quick stops but no gifts were bought lol
      I need to start too!

      Delete
  12. I get the not going to the doctor - they are really limited to what they can help you with anyways.
    Love the kitty on the lap - talk about a lap warmer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Otto has a way of always ending up on Kenny's lap. Very persistent cat!
      I know I didn't want a lecture from my Doc about how I am "getting older"... I have a mirror, I got it lol

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear about your foot. I would probably avoid the doctor too. My tree is up but not yet decorated. I love enjoying it for an entire month.
    Love your cat photos ! Good luck on your race this weekend. I don't have another race until end of January. Lots of long runs though, but I am taking my time on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about the kitties lol ;)
      Thanks! I hope I have something good to report for this race! I like taking my time, I will be doing plenty of that this winter. Jan. will be here before you know it!

      Delete
  14. We got our tree up too. Loving all those kitty pictures! Hope your foot feels better asap. I had a lot of pain with P.F. a while back (knock on wood) but thankfully haven't had a flare up in over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear you have been PF free for a year! That gives me hope I can get rid of this!
      It is all about the kitties at my house ;)

      Delete
  15. I have my trees up & lit...but the ornaments are on stand-by (not a priority, and you honestly cannot tell from the street). I usually try to get the "big" tree up on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but this year it didn't happen until Saturday morning. And, I'm OK with that ;-) Hope you foot is feeling better for your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lights are enough the sparkle and make things feel Christmasy - I have mimimal ornaments lol Thank you, I have been trying to picture myself happy and running! We'll see if it works lol

      Delete
  16. Hope you can race with a smile on your face and your foot continues to get better. We have most of the lights up and plan to get our tree this week, we always buy a real tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice you get a real tree! We go fake because I like to clean up as fast as I can lol thank you, I hope I can have a fun race :)

      Delete
  17. We decorated on Friday after Thanksgiving. Your tree looks great! Also, love the pictures of your kitties. Hope your foot continues to get better and you have a good race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra :)
      I bet you are looking forward to a break like I am! I hope you have a great race this weekend :)

      Delete
  18. A while ago I promised myself I wouldn't see a doctor about a running injury until I took 2 weeks off first, since that's what I would be told to do, and that has just kept me from seeing a doctor. ;-) I didn't buy anything on Black Friday, but I scored some Cyber Monday deals for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that! I am glad that was enough rest to jeep you healthy:) I am hopeful I will be past this soon! Love those cyber deals!

      Delete
  19. I will be looking for that smile on your race too! I'm still in vacation hangover mode. Gosh I was so busy at work today too! I will get caught up at some point, I hope anyway! I think we are going to try and get our tree next weekend. This weekend, I'll be gone again headed to Memphis to run in the St. Jude Half Marathon! Ha, I never slow down it seems! Thanks Karen for linking up with us and all your support! Truly appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome you are running another half! I think that's where Debra will be doing the marathon! Vacation hangovers are tough lol been there... You need a vacation when get home lol I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  20. It looks SO warm there and here i am wading in snow! I had every intention of getting my tree up alas it is not. I went out later on Back Friday and got a few, ok a lot of things, for myself! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is always the way, Black Friday shopping we did was stuff we both needed lol
      It was super nice here last week, but we are paying for it this week, three days of rain in a row...come back sun! LoL I loved your snow picture from today :)

      Delete
  21. Injuries can be so frustrating in their stubbornness, yes? As always I wish you a speedy recovery. And I've totally been there with not wanting to go to the doctor, too. I always think that the advice of "don't run" is the easy way out. So I was thrilled when I saw a doctor who told me I could still run as long as I was doing my PT exercises, since still running wouldn't change my recovery time that much. That was music to my ears!

    I love love LOVE the Thanksgiving pictures of your cats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! My kitties are my babies lol
      Injuries are very annoying. It is good to have a Doc sympathize with you about wanting to be active. I really just want to run and feel good :) I need to figure it out lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤