Sunday, November 22, 2015

Grumpy and Grateful

I am linking up today with my friends, Tricia @ MissSippiPiddlin and Holly @ hohoruns to share my recovery week. Link up and support other active women. Share your week!  ㋡ Check out the etiquette here



Recovery is boring necessary.

Last weekend I was blessed with all the things I wished for on race day (and more), and then…boom, it’s over in a blur. 




The post-race blues…

I remembered feeling a bit bluesy after this race last year, so part of my training mindset, was to plan recovery days and pick another event, so there is something to look forward too.

I signed up for another half on December 6th. My current foot issue had not presented itself at that time. My intention was to take my time and rest up after Richmond; however, I wasn't mentally prepared for no running between races. It seems I am going to need more time off than planned.


The course description for my next half from the web site…
“Mile 12 goes back up from 50 to 250 feet on what is known as hospitalization hill.” 

Not the actual hill, but what it looks like in my mind

I have been trying to psyche myself up for the big climb! 

Getting a PR in Richmond took the pressure off. I just want to have a strong, happy run. Whatever my legs will do that morning, I will be okay with. 

The reason I planned some recovery

Last year's recovery week

Race on Saturday

Sunday off

Monday ran 2 miles (45 min. weights/stretching)

Tuesday off

Wednesday off

Thursday ran 9 miles

Friday off

Saturday ran 3 miles (1 hour weight training)

Sunday ran 3 miles (1 hour weight training)


I mean really?! What was I thinking running 9 miles less than a week after the race. That was kind of crazy. 

This year I tried to be more patient

Race on Saturday

Sunday walked an easy, easy paced 5 miles with run buddy and stretched – it felt so good!

Monday off

Tuesday 20 min. elliptical (45 minutes stretching/core work)

Wednesday Cycle 6.5 miles (50 minutes of upper body work - all light intensity)

Thursday off  ate some dark chocolate and got a hair cut

Friday off went to see Mockingjay :)

Saturday ran 5 miles walked 2 miles (it was beautiful out!) gym cycled 6.40 miles (50 minutes upper body work)

Sunday gym cycled 10 miles and actually did some weight work for my legs



Picked a big hill to climb - I was drenched

My head was stuffy and I felt sluggish most of the week. Saturday, I finally started to feel like myself, and I just wanted to take a walk and enjoy the sunshine. A half-mile in I decided to run and see how the foot was feeling; I vowed to stop if anything hurt. My legs and foot felt pretty good until 4.5 miles, my left hamstring started to get tight, so I wrapped it up. 
 Sorry IG friends...repeat...my first long leggings and gloves run :) 
It was a good five miles - a little bittersweet 

I will have more run-less days next week. I really want whatever is going on in there to heal up. The inflammation and tender bottom (left foot) have tamed some, but I can still feel a sensation in there where it all started. 

I went through the last three weeks of training just. getting. by.

My foot was tender, or throbbing, or slightly aching, but it was always doing something. I still had a few good runs with all that was going on, so I owe it some rest. 


I don’t want it coming to collect! 



The weather was crazy this past week. It rained a few days, it was so humid you could cut it with a knife, then we had our first frost; it was a 
continual reminder what a gift the perfect weather conditions were on race day! 

Even though it as a low endorphin week, I felt too grateful to stay grumpy for long... I smiled every time I thought about running across that finish line last week.  


Do you plan your recovery periods?

Do you agree, part of your training plan should include what you do after the race? 


Do you have a race that makes you smile every time you think about it? 

Hope you have a great week! Don't forget to put your put feet up and pamper yourself a little. ❤  



42 comments:

  1. Congrats on a stellar race!!!! Recovery is so important you are right. I also find it boring though, but when you have one of those permanent smiles leftover from the race it feels so much better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather!! You are so right, it was a lot easier after a good hard run to just take it a little easy :)

      Delete
  2. congrats on your race- that hill looks like a monster! Recovery is very important, we must be good to ourselves so we can do it all again! Have a great Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Happy Thanksgiving week :)
      I have been trying to take recovery a little more serious, I hope it helps keep me healthy :)

      Delete
  3. I did my recovery thing after Chicago...I'm still in recovery mode. My foot still is bothering me, and I don't want things to get worse. Yesterday, after running in the snow with my YakTrax, my PF flared big time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww bummer. You have some weeks in now with this too. It stinks, and I know it can flare up for quite a while, but I want that sensation in the ball of my foot to go away. It does not seem fair the body won't cooperate and keep up with the heart. I sure hope you feel better soon!!

      Delete
  4. I love that you incorporated dark chocolate into your recovery! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those race photos, you look so happy and strong!

    I agree that recovery should be part of a recovery plan when running an A-race. At the end of a long training cycle you have to give your body time to recover and come back up to prime condition! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristina :) I had some terrible photos too! A few were okay.
      You know my training felt hard because of the heat. It is making me crazy it is cold now, and I am hanging around waiting to feel better!

      Delete
  6. Recovery is as much of training as the workouts are. That's when your body diverts the energy into repairing tissue and building muscle and making nervous system adaptations! And holy cow - which half is that you have signed up for? That is some crazy elevation gain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I singed up because it is a smaller race and just a few hours from home, but I was hopeful I would a good Richmond race, so I could do it for fun. If I had to run this one for a PR it may have killed me lol

      Delete
  7. I think the grim reaper has been busy over at my house. You can thank me later! LOL. Seriously, it's time for him to move on. I hope my watch looks just likes yours...soon. Dark chocolate and a hair cut sounds like a wonderful day, by the way. Kudos on your patience. Stick to it this week and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I appreciate you linking with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why he keeps messing with us!! Seriously, he needs a new hobby.
      I want you to see that on your watch too! I really should have just rested, but it is hard. I rode my bike this morning in the frosty temps lol I am trying to give it time again this week. I am so glad to have a few days off! Happy Thanksgiving :)

      Delete
  8. Aw you look so cozy. :)

    It's weird how we can have a great race and then just a couple days later CRAVE being back in the training cycle!

    After a hard half marathon, I would imagine I would plan on 2-3 rest days after and then an EASY, short run just to see how my body was feeling. Sort of testing the waters, if you will! Then I would go from there. But no long runs or speed training or anything crazy for at least two weeks. I won't be doing ANY speed training after this half in Dec. I am going to let my body freaking relax so I don't get injured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always feels weird to be all covered up lol
      Running races is addictive.
      I am hoping by next week I will enjoying some easy runs at least!!
      Yep, since you are going to run a crazy PR in Dec. you will need rest ")

      Delete
  9. I like your Thursday "workout" ! LOL ! I try to take it easy but stay active. I try to limit the time I do things. Your recovery week would have been a normal workout week for me ! Hope your foot will feel better. Do you wear orthodics ? They solved 99% of my problems....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thursday was a good day :) My split ends needed some serious work lol
      I am doing better varying my activities, but I do like to stay active, I think it is because I sit all 8 hours I am at work. Makes me nutty.
      I have not worn orthodics in years, but I guess if things persist I will have to go back to the Doc. Did you have them fitted?

      Delete
  10. I always take the week off after a half. Always. Even if I have another in 3 weeks!

    By the time I get to the end of a training cycle I'm usually pretty tired and ready to relax.

    I will be sad on the 6th when it seems everyone will be racing except for me. I thought I would be. There's a jingle bell run, but my IT has been achy, so really I ought to take it easy. Course we don't always do what we ought to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that darn IT band calms down. I hate the aches and pains, it is highly annoying. Maybe you will be able to get your Jingle run in. That sounds like a fun one, you could ran/walk?? We had fun run/walking our Halloween event :)

      Delete
  11. I am guilty as charged with doing some really stupid, crazy things in the week after a race...like running a half 6 days after a marathon...and PR'ing the heck out of it out of sheer anger with how poorly the full went. Building some recovery weeks into the training plan is a brilliant idea! Hope your foot is feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several friends who have run a half within a few weeks of their marathon and it seems speedy is how it goes! Sometimes you just have to have a "redeeming" moment when things don't turn out how you hoped.

      Delete
  12. Yikes I've never thought about that...and it's hugely important. I'm in the same boat, I could easily see myself coming off a hard run race then jumping right back into a long run lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have the temptation, but I seem to do better if I give myself time. This time my foot demanded it lol

      Delete
  13. I suck at this I'll go ahead and tell ya. I think everything is fine and I over do it! I'm trying I really am but it's hard. Planning recovery is a must I do believe. I ran my half on Saturday, faster than I expected, Not that I was trying but still. I have 18 to do Thursday and don't plan on running in between. I'm trying everything I know to speed up recovery to be able to get in this training run. I'd say I'd rest but hey we got Disney to deal with.

    I appreciate you linking up with us so much! Karen I hope you and your family have a very blessed Thanksgiving this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet by Thursday you will feel ready to go :) Congrats on the half!! I have had some speed work outs that felt like required they rest days lol
      Disney is going to be fun!

      Delete
  14. I don't plan recovery weeks. I have to say, I have taken 2 weeks off after my marathon, with the help of a head cold. I think I would have taken 1 off otherwise. So I think the cold is really a blessing! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    I love the colors of your warm workout gear!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I hope you have a happy holiday!
      I have to plan because usually I am guilty of over doing it lol

      Delete
  15. I've never considered designing a training plan that includes post-race recovery, but I think it is a super smart idea. I've learned the hard way how important it is to stretch, refuel, rehydrate, and rest after a hard training run or race. We all focus so much on preparation, but recovery is as much a part of the picture as preparation is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That maintenance stuff isn't nearly as exciting, but so necessary :) I sure can tell when I skimp on it. I am trying to embrace rest when needed and not end up injured again.

      Delete
  16. Thinking about all of the Disney races I've done make me smile :) That hill sounds killer and at mile 12?! That is just cruel of the race director!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I know right, I am all excited but I am sure on mile 12 I will start cursing!!

      Delete
  17. Congrats again on a great race! I love your pictures! Enjoy your rest and recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am trying to just chill, it shouldn't be this hard lol

      Delete
  18. Of course, dark chocolate should be a recovery food (if not a daily nutrient). I always take things easy the week following a big race. I try to do a short recovery run the day after (no more than 1-2 miles, at a slow & easy pace), and then minimal stuff. I have several races that always make me smile when I think of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the dark chocolate lol I always wonder why broccoli can't taste like that :)
      Races that make you are smile are good :) I am hoping to collect a few more!

      Delete
  19. I wore gloves yesterday for the first part of my long run. It was chilly here in SE TX. It made my lips numb, but I managed to tell another runner that I could smell pancakes and they understood so I guess I wasn't too frozen. After that, I really wanted pancakes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny :) When I am running and smell someone cooking anything it always kills me lol I hope you had some pancakes ;)

      Delete
  20. "Hospitalization hill" sounds pretty intimidating! Also, congrats on your last race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the run I had today I am now officially afraid lol all the time I took off has taken its toll! Thank you!!

      Delete
  21. Happy recovery! You are smart to take it easy and let yourself recover. But having another race on the schedule will definitely help with the post-race blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this upcoming race is going to be much slower than I expected lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤