Wednesday, December 23, 2015

2015 That's A Wrap!

Remember when you were in school and a year used to feel so long, September to June felt eternal...
Around the age of 30 or so, it seemed those years starting cruising by, and now they happen in almost a blink. Scary...
The year didn't start off well, I went from attempting to marathon train to a boot. It's funny how years fly, yet when the Doc said no running for six weeks, time crawled. 

January - A week after this run I was in a boot, trying to figure our what went wrong. I didn't have any discomfort on that run, scary but true...yet a scan clearly showed a tibial stress fracture. 



February - Lots of this started for five weeks...



The week I took my boot off, I flew to Florida to run the Disney Princess Half.


I was tickled pink to visit Disney for the first time at the age of 48

It was 11 degrees when we left Richmond, and 75 went we got to Florida :) I like cold and all, but 11 was a little over the top. 




I seriously never stopped smiling during this race. I was so happy to be running again. Now, was I supposed to be putting all those miles on my leg!? Heck no.... and I don't recommend this recovery plan to anyone, but I was not going to miss this. 


I did run/walk and took picture breaks. It was my slowest half ever and the one I really enjoyed the most.


March - I started to resume a routine of running before work. I was supposed to be run/walking and keeping my mileage low. It was so hard to be patient when the weather and sunrises were so beautiful, but I tried. I logged 36.95 miles in March and hoped my bone was growing stronger. 

April - I was restless! Yep, that fast. I missed distance running. I was just a few months out from my injury and I was worried about all the endurance I lost...CRAZY! I ran my 5th half marathon on whim. It was close to home and I figured, why not. I knew the heat was coming full force,  and I would not be doing any more races or long distance runs all summer.


Petersburg, my 5th half marathon - it was hot and humid that day, but I did it! 


May - June - July - August - September I kept my running mileage around, or a little above 70 miles each month, and I struggled to do it. My longest run all summer was 7 miles, which felt harder than all the races I ever ran lol 


October - I was in half marathon training mode, but started to have some foot issues and setbacks, but I forged on as much as I could. Running was challenging, but I loved October because I went to Montana to see my mom and had a fun run with my hubs.



November - I ran half marathon number 6 and it stands as my PR  


I had struggled so much during training: I had a huge cut on my right heel, left ball of foot pain, then the right foot was hurting under the ankle bone, and my left hamstring kept tightening up. UGH! The last four weeks of training was a constant battle against pain and a lot of missed runs. I could not believe how great the race actually went. It was an awesome day. About a half hour after I crossed this finish line, I tried to freeze frame those last few moments in my mind and replay them. I just wanted to fully enjoy what had occurred

December - Half marathon number 7 - Boom! Turned out to be my second fastest half ever.


As this year comes to a close, I will fall about 200 miles :( short of my 1,000 mile goal. As I post this, I have logged 814 miles (still working on it :D) for the year. 836 841 miles.
  • I spent five weeks in a boot
  • Completed 4 half marathons including my PR  Yay! 
  • Had 3 4 fun runs: Black Light Glow run, Halloween 5K, Tacky Light 6K, and I almost forgot the fun Sole Sister 7. 


  • and visited Skyline Caverns and Dollywood this year







  • and had lots of fun roller coaster rides!





One of our favorite rides this year was the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster in Tennessee! We rode in the daylight and at night, so much fun, you should try it if you ever get the chance. 



and in May we met Rush  Seriously, I could not believe I stood next to Geddy Lee.



As I go back through the memories it makes me wish I could just find a way to linger in those happy moments a little longer, they pass so fast.

Looking back, it really wasn't a bad year after all...

Are your years flying by? 
Do you forget stuff until you go back through your pictures? 

26 comments:

  1. You had a GREAT year- running and otherwise! It is crazy you spend 5 weeks in a boot yet had so many running HIGHS too!! Can we just talk about how great you look in all your running pictures????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan. hahaha, I think these are the only good running pics I have! Trust me I have plenty where I look completely crazy!!
      I am really happy I got 4 half's in! I hope to do that again this year :)

      Delete
  2. looks like a great year except the blip of the stress fracture. Here's hoping 2016 is injury-fee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful what you did here. What a great way to look back and remember all the cool things that went on throughout the year. Glad you recovered so quickly and so well from your injury. Injury stinks!! Cool roller coaster shot! It looks like it's in the middle of the woods! Congrats on your PR!! I am also going to be just a few miles short of 1000 again this year - again, injury stinks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This injury really changed the way I approach things, but luckily it didn't hold me back too much!
      The ride in the woods was so cool, you do climb all the way a mountain and it is gravity propelled all the way down twisting and turning, very fun!
      Thank you :) we can work on that 1,000 for 2016!

      Delete
  4. It's been fun getting to know you this year! Your year turned out great! The boot's got nothing on you. I've been in the boot twice and I came back stronger than before. Maybe there's something to that whole time off thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have LOVED getting to know you. You gave me a lot of inspiration this year. I am trying to stay out of the boot now! I do feel stronger now though :)

      Delete
  5. Wow you did have a fantastic year! I love that you met Geddy Lee and got a Disney trip in too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Desiree :) It was really cool to meet him :) I hope to plan some new adventures for 2016!

      Delete
  6. I love your smiles at the Princess Half marathon - that race is still on my bucket list - I know I'll be smiling (& crying) the whole race.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy did you ever turn your year around! And a half marathon PR to boot (PUN INTENDED). There's "the watch" which needs to make it's safe return back to you. Here is hoping neither one of us need it for a very long time...hopefully ever! Merry Christmas, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I salvaged it better than I thought, which I don't think I realized till I looked back lol PR day still amazes me :)
      Take your time with the watch just in case you decide you need one more pool run. I really do hope we never need it again! I am so glad you are coming back so strong. Cheers to very healthy happy 2016 dear friend!

      Delete
  8. What a year you had, wow! I imagine if you hadn't of been hit with the fracture, you'd of hit your 1,000 goal easy!
    You really did end it on a high note with that PR! Great pictures, I did not know about the Smokey Mountain Roller Coaster or I totally would have done that when I visited:) Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I hope you get back to TN to try it one day! A very unique experience :)

      Delete
  9. What a year! I do enjoy looking back at pictures, you know what they say, the days may be long, but the years are short!
    Here's to an injury free 2016! Merry Christmas, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To PR the half when you had such a struggle this year with leg/foot issues is amazing! I really hope 2016 is the year you are healthy!!!

    I love how much you guys love roller coasters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) I hope I can stay healthy! I was so happy with Richmond, the weather was a huge factor for me (cold!) and I did get all my long runs done, it was the short daily runs I missed, so I guess that is what helped!
      Roller coasters make you feel like a kid :)

      Delete
  11. I love this post because I remember when you originally blogged every one of these experiences. I can't believe another year has come and gone already! It seems like just yesterday you were worried about running Princess and now it's the end of the year and you wrapped things up with a super strong half marathon! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel like it was all over so fast. I want the fun stuff to slow down! Time to get busy working on 2016 :) I really want to get four half's again this year, but I have my doubts I will ever be able to run that Richmond time again lol Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  12. Great year! Any week with no running feels like it creeps by 10x slower than a running week, so 6 weeks of no running is like a year and a half or something isn't it?! Glad you got back to running and had some great ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy :) I am glad I was able to have some fun moments still! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  13. With a rough start I'm glad you had some definite highs with running this year. :) I love your race photos!!! My favourite is the one from the Disney Princess ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather :) The year turned out well! I hope I can stay healthy this year and have more racing fun :) The Princess was a fun race, hard not to smile! Happy New Year!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤