Sunday, December 6, 2015

A Slow Start, A Strong Finish

I am linking up today with my friends, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin to share my ongoing quest to be active and stay healthy.  Link up and support other active women. Share your week!  ㋡ Check out the etiquette here



MondayRest!
Tuesday a.m.Treadmill 3.5 mile run (34:09) - 12 min. Cool down/Stretching
Tuesday p.m.6.5 cycling miles (28:39) - 50 minutes upper body weight training
Wednesday a.m.4 mile run (41:22) - 11 min. Cool down/Stretching
Thursday Rest!
Friday 3.5 mile run (34:14) - 35 min. Core work/Stretching
Saturday Rest
Sunday Race Day! a half mile warm up and 13.1 miles :) 

I was torn this week...save some energy for the weekend, but I wanted to make sure I got at least four active sessions in without burning myself out.  



Missing Monday really messes me up. I woke up Monday and I could hear the pounding rain from my pillow. Ummm, no. I hit the snooze button. I don't mind light rain, but I am not running in crazy. 



Tuesday same rain ....
I could not miss two days in a row.
So I dragged myself up and ran on the treadmill.




Wednesday I got up and it was a very humid 56 degrees with light rain. I knocked out four miles. 


I confess this week was driven by worry and haphazard attempts to regain some of my lost endurance.  I only ran THREE times in the last sixteen days, prior to this week; I was convinced I would feel like death trying to run a half on Sunday. My loose plan for this week was to get a longish run accomplished early in the week, but it never happened. My longest run since November 14th ~ 5 miles. 


I tried to think about this quote. 


Friday my lack of running got to me again. It was very nice out, and I enjoyed a run in the sun on the path behind my gym, while Kenny was working out. 



I couldn't stop thinking about how under-trained I felt…

I was committed to running this half though, so I decided I would just have to roll with it, no matter the outcome. I mentioned in my post from the 29th of November, I had set a loose goal of  2:11. Saturday night, after exchanging a few texts with Holly (your link up host) I finally pushed the under-trained fear aside and decided I would run some strong miles for my sweet friend who can't run right now (but will be soon!). I went to bed to rest up. 





I woke up to some very nippy weather and had to put some clothes on to run!

With  Robyn  - she ran a great race and PR'd!

I will post a recap on Tuesday, but I will give you a hint...I ran my second fastest half marathon ever :)  I had some very tough moments during the closing miles of this race, but overall it was a great way to wrap up the week!
Thanks for stopping by! I love catching up with you all each week 
Tell me anything!! 

32 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your recap! Congrats! And what a difference a cooler temp makes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am :) You were so right!! and I have really pushed myself thinking about the encouragement you gave me this summer!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your race! Sometimes we have to get our minds to calm down a bit. Often it is better to be slightly undertrained and healthy than overtrained and injured or fatigued. But our brains try to convince us otherwise. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!
      That is the truth Kelli!! My brain wouldn't give me a break lol I am glad I dd this race :) but I think I will try to train before I do another.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you had a good, no GREAT race! It's so hard to control those negative thoughts, huh? (I'm the world's worst!) I appreciate you running those miles for me. It is much more special than words can say! It's like a little part of me got to participate. I can't wait to read the recap. PS. I LOVE the quote...I am not running in crazy! Amen. Thanks for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I have to say you are responsible for this one. You were on my mind for many miles!! It really turned out quite well.
      haha, sometimes the snooze button should win.
      Thank you for the link up - I have met some great folks :)

      Delete
  4. YAY!!!! I'm so happy to hear for you had a great race. Congrats! I look forward to the recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I will post soon. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your race. I feel the same as you. Lately I have no endurance. It was nice her on Friday too and I could only run 2.6 miles. I can not wait to read your recap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That endurance is a funny thing, how it slips away. I could tell a difference at the end of the race from he one I ran Nov. 14th
      A short run is always better than no run!

      Delete
  6. Wow that wonderful that you ran such a good race, especially when you weren't sure how it all work out. Great feeling. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It did make me smile!! I was glad I survived :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome job on your race! So cool you got your 2nd fastest time even when you felt undertrained! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cool temps sure a make a huge difference for me! Thank you, I grateful I survived it :)

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your race recap! Congrats on your 2nd fastest half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! I am looking forward to reading about your race as well. Stopping by soon :)

      Delete
  9. How comes I had no idea you were running a half this weekend!? I thought you just ran a half!!??? Congrats on it being your second fastest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I am not sure lol I feel like I have been whining about running it for two weeks. That is why I was so worried about my lack of runs...
      Thank you ")

      Delete
  10. Great job on the run! That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan :) I am sore today, but it was a fun challenge!

      Delete
  11. That is awesome Karen! Isn't it great how sometimes our bodies surprise us! I'm so glad your half turned out well. I do think the rest does us well. Can't wait to read your recap. When the weather or something messes up my schedule it seems to just have a ripple effect. I am back on track today after 2 weeks of not following my normal schedule. We'll see how it goes later. Are you done for the year as far as races? What's next for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny you ask that question, I put all these possible things on my calendar this morning and I am trying to weed through what I should actually do! lol
      I like keeping a routine going too, but sometimes it is good to shake things up, you still got your long run in!
      I wish I could get this old body to surprise me more often!

      Delete
  12. Yay!! I can't wait to read your recap! I really think I have better races when I'm undertrained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how it can go either way no matter what you do! LoL

      Delete
  13. AWESOME!! CONGRATS!! So often we drive ourselves crazy and when we run free and loose some amazing things happen. Can't wait to read the recap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I am really getting into not even looking at the Garmin - I seem to go faster! It seems to be working so I guess I will just roll with it :)

      Delete
  14. Glad you had a great race. And I don't run in the rain either. HATE it. Will stalk the weather all week and adjust my training if it is going to rain. Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Weather stalking feels like a full time job sometimes lol

      Delete
  15. How awesome!!!!! Isn't it amazing what our bodies are capable of, even when we think they're not "race ready?" I seriously think the extra rest does a body good. I don't mind the rain (a LIGHT rain) in summertime temps, but if it's cold...no thanks. Not worth risking getting myself sick (my excuse). I can't wait to see your recap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I am amazed! I have to remind myself that is not "just" a half, it a long ways lol You are so right, I hate that chill in hard rain, I have been caught a few times and it isn't fun.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤