Sunday, December 13, 2015

I Just Want to Run!

I am linking up today with my friends, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin to share my ongoing quest to be active and stay healthy.  Link up and support other active women. Share your week!  ㋡ Check out the etiquette here





I am trying to get used to this head lamp. I have to turn it a little to the side and it is much more comfy. If I wear it dead center on my forehead it hurts...


MondayRest!
Tuesday Cycling 7 mi (32:50) - 55 min. upper strength training
Wednesday Rest!
Thursday a.m.5K run (31:10) - 8 min. cool down/stretch
Thursday p.m.Cycling 8 mi (43:00) - 45 min. back and leg work (light)
Friday Rest!
Saturday a.m. 5 mile run (51:04) - 2.50 mile walk (45 min.) w/run buddy
Saturday p.m.Tacky Light Run 6K (36:42) - 2.50 mile walk (41 min.)
Sunday Cycling warm up 3 mi (15:00) - 70 min. upper strength training and stretching - 2.50 mile walk w/my honey

Many mixed emotions again this past week.
Monday through Friday felt so sluggish. Four days is my life goal, but I really do prefer to more active if I can. Being in motion is what makes everything else okay for me. I am tired of resting so much, but my body continued to yell for it all week. 

I was so sore after my hilly half last Sunday. Way more than normal! I was not this tight after I ran Richmond. My calf muscles held onto the tightness and fatigue most of the week. Even after I cycled Tuesday and stretched, the tug persisted in my calf area. That is a danger zone for me, so I am tried to be patient, but I can assure you, I was cranky and restless! I tried to tell myself, think big picture, stay healthy, what does it matter if I only run once or twice this week. My yearly goal isn't going to happen, I am going to fall a few hundred miles short...ugh. Relax Karen, next year is coming in a blink, it is time at start looking forward...
I could have cross trained more, but I just wasn't motivated enough. 

Saturday I was finally feeling a little better, so I did what any sane person would do...crammed as much as I could into a day. I went for a walk in the morning because it was almost 70 degrees! My intention was to take it easy because I knew I had my Tacky Light Run at 6 p.m. I went by run buddy's house and we ended running five miles and walking. The sun and warmth felt delightful, and it wasn't the reason I struggled toward the end of our run, my endurance was. I had only run one 5K all week, so I was thrilled even though, I had some challenging moments. 

Saturday evening I headed out for my fun run.  4,600 people registered and they took a lot of walk ups, it is a bit crazy, but I enjoyed it.  


Recap coming very soon :)


Sunday was unseasonably warm again, so my Honey and I took a walk after a little session at the gym.



I spent most of the week feeling frustrated it took so long to recover, but at least I ended the week with a smile on my face. Aches, niggles, and soreness, please stay away this week, I just want to run. 
I hope the holiday hustle and bustle isn't wearing you out! 


Cheers! 
Karen     













Anyone have yearly goals you are trying to make? 
Anyone else ready to start looking forward?

30 comments:

  1. My yearly goals are a complete bust! LOL. And yes, let's look forward. I am right with you on the movement thing. The days I rest, my mood is not right and I can't help it. Exercise is my sunlight. >>> I'm coining that phrase! I would LOVE the tacky light run. My house could be on it. HA. I hope we both have a pain free, niggle free, worry free week! AND WE CAN JUST RUN. Thanks for linking, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny running is my sunlight even though I run in the pitch dark 80% of the time lol I love seeing all the pretty lights at night, you should post a pic of your lights! I hope this week I can just get back to 3 or 4 runs a week. I think feeling forced to rest so much between my races made last week hard, I just miss consistency. I hope you figure out a way to run w/o pain this week! Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. I feel you on the twinges of pain...I've got that PF but also some little niggles here and there. I really need to do more stretching and foam rolling. Instead, here I am reading blogs...

    I should be doing some holiday stuff too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to work on the maintenance/prevention too. Is there a holiday coming ?! LOL I need to do some shopping too.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of people for a race! I bet all the lights were pretty. I wear a headlamp for most of my runs, and I find that if I loosen the strap it doesn't bother me. If I wear it too tight, it hurts. Luckily it hasn't fallen off yet, but I do wear a headband underneath it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a huge event here.
      I tried a hat and it blocked the light, so I tried a head band and it was better...maybe I do have it to tight. I need to play with it I guess.

      Delete
  4. My yearly goals are not quite happening in some regards...but I have surpassed some unexpected goals in the process. I was hoping to run 15 "new" events in 2015, and I think I'm around 12(?). I do a lot of events, but I'm trying to branch out more and do different races instead of always the same "favorite" ones. But I did run my first Ultra (a month after Grandma's Marathon), neither of which I had even thought about in January when I wrote out my goals. SO, I guess it's kind of a wash LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An ultra is great! and 12 is a great number of races for the year. You should write a yearly recap :) I try to do one right at the new year. I did run my best races this year, I just didn't get to run as much as expected, so it is not all bad.

      Delete
  5. Luckily I really didn't have any yearly goals. :)

    While we've been blessed with warmer than usual weather, it ain't 70 & sunshine is hard to come by at this time of year & I'm ready to curl up in a ball by 3 pm. And Chester is just not letting me get enough sleep, either.

    R&R is not overrated, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then you can call it good! I like to keep my yearly goals minimal...starting the year injured kind of did me in.
      No, R & R is very important. I hope Chester hangs in there, he is so darn cute.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes your body just needs rest. I know how frustrating it can be, but I find it can catch up with me if I do too much... then I will spend the whole weekend sleeping !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to do that lol
      I think the long rest periods between my races made last week hard, I was just ready for some consistency. I need my foot to cooperate this week!

      Delete
  7. Is it bad that I can't really remember what my yearly goals were besides doing yoga and not getting injured? It is hard to take a step back sometimes but in the long run so important for not getting injured!
    I love the light off to the side look, it's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! hehe, I wish I could have forgot my mileage goal for the year. You had a great year, you stayed healthy and ran strong!

      Delete
  8. 4600 people! WOW> I bet that nice weather brought everyone out! :)
    I'm sorry you are frustrated. I know every runner totally understands those feelings - & they are warranted. But maybe with the new year & the holidays its just a good time to ease up a little & let some healing take place :)
    You always keep smiling though - I love that about you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca Jo :) The folks in the area really support fun races like this. This is becoming a fun tradition.
      I have said now to a few folks, I think my foot forcing me to take some many days off between races made this past week feel hard, I just missed consistency and my quiet mornings.

      Delete
  9. Holy huge race Batman! Cannot wait to hear more about that. FWIW it takes me a long time to recover as well. Hilly races like that are killers. Hasn't this weather been nutty? Hope we don't pay for it later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, right! I am fearful the sub zero is looming lol
      I will post bout the race tomorrow :) I hope...lol
      Ohhh, that hill trashed me lol

      Delete
  10. Did you say 4500 in the Tacky Light run? Wow! I can't wait to hear more about it! Ahhh some weeks are like this, I too am happier and just feel better when I can get physical activity in. I too know my body needs rest, gosh. With my last few marathon training runs to do, I am ready to see this baby born in the way of my marathon race. I'm kind of tired of training. I know it will be here soon enough but I am ready! Hope you have a better week Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on running your second fastest half! Don't beat yourself up about feeling tired. You needed to recuperate after the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina :) I am really happy both my races went so well, so I shouldn't fuss, but I was so ready to get to some consistent running and it didn't happen...maybe this week :)

      Delete
  12. You deserve to rest after your hard half. Can't wait to hear about your fun race. I have one on Sat.

    I have met most of goals but I didn't ones that I could reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what I expected after this half, it was tough lol I just feel like i have been resting for three weeks now.
      That is good you have a fun run coming...I am still looking for a few more fun ones to see if I can work another one in.

      Delete
  13. I am frustrated as well about missing my goal as well. I should know by now that when I'm running strong, I need to bank those miles! The beginning of the year, all was perfectly perfect, but now...argh. Like you said, next year - new goals -- are just around the corner! Looks like you have nice scenery when you run! Enjoy your holidays and happy, healthy, running to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I tell myself it is good to set a goal, it gives you something to shoot for, and I didn't fail because I did not make it. We just can not control all the circumstances, if we could control all things wouldn't that be nice lol Working on that healthy running!

      Delete
  14. Oh wow, that looks like a huge and fun event.
    I think it's normal for a lot of runners to need to take a little time after a big race before they can get back into the swing of things. I will come, and soon you will be back running just like you want to run:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fun run this year!!
      It took me much longer than I expected, but I think I am feeling somewhat normal now, although I rested today lol

      Delete
  15. Can't wait to hear more details about the Tacky Light Run! Please also share what you think of the new headlamp. I understand the frustration when recovery seems to take its sweet time - it's really tough! I wish you the speediest of recoveries and a wonderful upcoming week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am feeling pretty normal today, hoping the trend continues!
      I am torn about the headlamp, it is an older hiking one, but it does give me a nice path of light. I had been tucking a very skinny flashlight into my handheld hydration device, but in the winter I don't think I will need the hand held on short runs. I bet some newer head lamps are even lighter, I was just trying to see if I could get used to it. Honestly, the light path is about the same from the flashlight and headlamp.

      Delete
  16. it sounds like you had a really good week of working out! it's tough to slow down but sometimes your body just needs it! My last half was a month ago and honestly I've enjoyed just low key runs and building up strength since. Our weather here has been fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤