Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Tacky Light Run



#nevertotacky
Becoming a fun #RVA tradition. 

It took my legs the whole week to recover from my half last Sunday, but my legs were finally feeling okay Saturday morning.
I was in a bit of a funk because I had only run 3.13 miles all week.
Saturday morning I was just going to take a walk and enjoy the crazy heat wave, but when I went by run buddy's house, she said she wanted to run, so off we went for five miles.

My legs felt tired after I ran. Kenny and I ate a yummy lunch at Noodle and Co. so I could refuel, and then I came home and chilled until it was time go.  I didn't have any expectations for my little 6K evening run, I was excited for the spectacle of it :)


Amazing weather....check :) 


The run is well organized for the crowds and lots of shuttles are available to the start line. People come decked out for this. 


I did a little warm up (a mile) after I got there and my legs felt much better than they had in the morning. I was glad because I struggled a few times on my morning run just trying to keep moving.  I walked around and took in all the great outfits. People are so creative :) 






 There are decorations everywhere...







I was ready to roll. The event organizer had signs for corrals: Runners, Runner/Joggers, Runner/Strollers, Walkers, Families...I lined up in front with the runners. When I ran this in 2013, I made the mistake of lining up with the runner/joggers and it was so packed feeling. I had a great run experience being closer to the front and we thinned out enough, so I didn't feel like I got in anyone's way.  The guy driving the pace truck came back and said to the front pack "It is a fun run!" " I don't want to be driving over 10 miles an hour, runners take it easy!" LOL Several folks still took off pretty fast. A half mile in, I couldn't see the pace truck hardly at all...runners ¯\_()_/¯ 

The pace truck



They started the fake snow machine right before we took off. It was comical since it was so warm.


 
I forgot how darn hilly this course was, mile two has the biggest climb. I started having flashbacks to my crazy climb at the end of my last half. I told myself it is a short run, PUSH! I had a few rough moments on the hills, but I tried to hold on because my legs were feeling good (finally!). I laughed at myself at this point. This event doesn't even list results, but there was still this little part of me that needed to do the best I could muster. 

When I finished running, I walked back through some of the course (about 2.5 miles) and just enjoyed the effort. It is a huge block party and all the streets are closed. The folks in the neighborhood hang out, play LOUD music, ring cowbells, cheer, build fires, kids do cheers, like real cheer squads, and so many houses decorate really pretty. The run gives prizes to neighborhood participants as well. 
I did not beat my 2013 time, however that year I only ran 3.60 miles lol and it is for fun!! Tell me to stop. 






Neighborhood cheerers 











Walking back through the streets, it felt 10 x's more crowded, like you could barely move crowded. It made me very thankful I went to the front and had a really great run.

Thanks for reading!!
Wishing you all the best, 
Karen 
Are you able to just go run for fun? or does that time thing always kick in? 

24 comments:

  1. That run looks so fun! I am a big CHristmas light person. I think I would be able to run that one easy, because I would be looking at all of the lights. Christmas lights are one of the first things we put up in our new house. Priorities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never done much decorating, but I sure love to see what people come up with! I keep wondering where they store all that stuff lol I saw many folks run and stop at several houses and take pics!

      Delete
  2. This looks like so much crazy fun! I can see why it's so popular. Looks a little like a festive Vegas! I can definitely run easy these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is becoming a pretty big thing. we have three big events here the marathon/half marathon(Nov), a 10K and now this :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. That looks like so much fun. I have a fun race this Saturday night. I want to keep it fun. I hope my competitive brain doesn't get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My competitive brain took over...lol but I knew I would go back and walk some of it :)

      Delete
  4. This looks like the BEST RUN!!!! We dont have anything like that around here.
    I love how creative people are with the lights!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I have no idea how people ran in some the things they were wearing and of course several of the really big costumed folks walked. I wish I would have got more pictures!!

      Delete
  5. What a great event...soooo many lights lol. Only way I can run for fun is if I'm with Mrs Schlub, if I'm on my own you know I'm going all out. Runners lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! That is true, I went alone, and my legs felt good, so it was on lol

      Delete
  6. What a fun run! So festive seeing all those lights along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how fun! Looks like Clark Griswold decorated every home you passed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like so much fun. It feels so weird here in NJ to be in the 60s for Christmas, but I am not complaining. Also I love the Noodle Company :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold will come soon enough :) It is going to pour rain here tomorrow...
      Noodle and CO is so yummy!

      Delete
  9. How fun ! Love all the pictures of the lights, even if some of it is over the top a bit... people don't decorate that much here in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is over the top!! LoL there is something happy about lights :)🎄

      Delete
  10. This would be so much fun!! You had a great finish time too! That tropical themed house looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:) it wasn't humid that evening and it felt really nice out. I love seeing what everyone comes up with for decorations and costumes! They call that house Margaritaville lol

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, those festive, colorful pictures! So much fun! I am envious of the 70-degree temperatures. Here in Chicago we've been "spoiled" with 50-degree temps the last few weeks, but last night it got down into the 20s/30s (which is more typical during this time of year.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a strange Fall, and a warm December. It really never felt much like Fall here lol I am sure the cold is coming for both of us though! It was a night of lights for sure :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤