Sunday, January 10, 2016

Some Weeks You have It, Some Weeks You Don't

I am linking up today with my friends, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin who became marathoners this week!! Congratulations ladies, I am so proud of you! 
 ㋡ Check out the etiquette here




This week was tough. 

MondayRest!
Tuesday a.m.Morning run - 4.34 mi. (40:44)
Tuesday p.m. Cycling 4.10 mi. (18:00)
75 min. upper body strength training/stretching
Wednesday p.m.6.23 mi. run (57:24)              5 min.walk
.50 mi. run (4:28)
ThursdayRest!
Friday p.m.12.06 mile run (2:01:10)
 20 min. walking/ stretching
Saturday a.m. walking 2.5 miles slowly
Sunday Cycling warm up 5.10 mi (22:51)
70 min. upper body and stretching
30 min. walk

Tuesday morning (5:20 a.m.) before work the cold greeted me. It had been 55 degrees the day before...


My fingers were freezing even in gloves. I decided to run up to the school, so I could lay my handheld on the curb and run around the loop. The wind was constant, and really swift gusts would happen, I just wasn't comfortable enough to do my normal speed work. I went around the loop a few miles and ran home.

Wednesday I decided to wait to run until after work. I ended up having the roughest time. My plan was to run 4 minute intervals x 4. The first time I picked it up, I started to feel queasy and funky. I attempted a second one and I got the same wave of funkiness...I stopped my Garmin and walked and within a few seconds I felt fine, so I started running and as long as I  didn't pick it up much, I felt fine.
I was happy when I finished, the run itself wasn't a bad pace, in fact it was speedier than I expected, but I never had a decent rhythm this whole run, it felt forced, it just wasn't my day....

It's like I never ran a day in my life

I felt lifeless after I showered, I just wanted to eat, I didn't want to move, just blah.
This was my second failed attempt at speed work for the week.

I am not sure what was up. I did my best to not let it mess with my head.

Thursday during work, the ball of my foot started feeling tender. We decided to go to El Paso and eat. I didn't need another bad workout, and honestly my leg muscles felt tight...from what you ask...I don't know, I asked myself the same thing! I am good at eating, I needed to have a successful day.

Friday I came home from work early so I could get my long run in. The gray skies and rain were forecast all weekend. Friday it was just misty...so off I went...

Since last week, my foot has felt tender  at various times, but nothing constant. I have been battling the foot issue for several weeks, but it keeps changing, where it hurts, where it feels tender.... 
During my run, I had a toe cramp which is something that never happens...my foot felt tender. I just kind of knew inside I was done. I have been trying to hang on, think positive, rest a few days, try again, but I started thinking about how this foot thing has been lingering and I started trying to resolve that this was probably going to be my last long run for awhile. I felt some pinches that were new to the party,  I just knew I was done. My training isn't going to continue. I had a feeling my foot was going to hurt when I stopped, so I savored the last few miles. I enjoyed the movement, the rhythm, the exertion, and tried to tell myself I will be okay for a few weeks with it out.  I made my last run a good one. 

My foot swelled up after my shower...sigh...
At least I know my instincts work. 

Saturday...I did some errands and was in a good bit of discomfort. 23.10 running miles this week and I am positive I will be logging zero miles for the next few weeks. 

It is odd how I felt optimistic in the beginning of the week and it all flipped so fast. 

Sunday it was not rainy as predicted. It was puffy cloud beautiful. 
 I took a 30 minute walk after the gym to soak up some vitamin D.  The temps are crazy - 0 degrees to 60 this week.

I did learn Sunday the trainer I use at the gym doesn't aggravate my foot, now as long as the resolutioners clear out so I can get on it, it'll all be good. 


I still have  a ways to go before I can dig deep with the weight, 
but it is getting a little easier :) 

I will post more details about the no running situation later this week, right now I am grappling with the verdict rendered by my old bones...

Happy Trails, 
Karen 

Tell me anything! How was your race, run, or weight training? 

38 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the foot! What do you think it is?

    My bike has always been there for me when I can't run. So grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I guess I will be on the bike a lot more. I am trying to get myself into a good frame of mind before I write anything.
      I will probably do a post soon, but one issue...I am pretty sure my first toe is broken or fractured. How that would happen, I have no idea.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! So sorry to hear about your foot. :( You are right to stop running to give your foot time to heal. I hope it gets better quickly. Weather has been just as wacky here--from warm to bitter cold to warm then back to cold. Oof! Rest up and get better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer :)
      Rest is the plan. I am hoping I will be back out there in February for sure!
      The weather swings are quite interesting this year, more severe than normal.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! I'm so bummed for you. Praying you can find answers and a plan that can keep you going in other ways. You know I'm a fan of pool running...
    Love that you're pushing up those 45s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia :)
      I am trying to work on upping my weights. I need it right now!
      I keep telling myself maybe this month off will be enough, it makes it seem more manageable.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about the foot... when I am injured I try to see it as an opportunity to do something else and focus on another part of my body / training.
    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to get motivated and figure out what else I can do :) I am a bit grumpy about it though lol

      Delete
  5. Probably a good idea to get off the foot. Hope it isn't anything too serious. Speedwork is tricky. 4 minute speed intervals are pretty long to start. Maybe 2 min speed: 4 min walk/jog easy recovery is a good ratio to start. You can always do ladders, too. 1, 2, 4, 2, 1 for your speed efforts to gradually get your body used to the longer efforts. Good luck with the cross training and healing thoughts to your foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli :)
      I have been doing 2 min. And strides for so long now it felt like the time to try to increase, but my body didn't agree. I love the ladder idea, I will try that for sure when I can get back to running.

      Delete
  6. I am SO sorry Karen. I hope it is something that eases up quickly with some rest.

    I am really not as good at listening to my body. For instance, my calf kept cramping yesterday and I probably should take another day off of running, but no, it seems ok . . .

    Look at how well Holly did in her marathon with mostly just biking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy :)
      The aches and pains are so aggravating..I feel like I took time off when it was hurting, but I guess not enough. I was so happy to see Holly finish that race yesterday!! I do believe cross training can keep you pretty strong :)
      I have adjusted my goal to just getting through this year without any more time off after this. I hope your calf feels better!

      Delete
  7. I am sorry about your foot, Karen. :( Broken or fractured toes- how did that happen!? I am glad you have access to a bike. I know it is NOT the same as running...

    YOU ARE SO STRONG in your weight training! I have hit a plateau but I have to admit I haven't been pushing myself. With these COLD mornings I think I will be running less and lifting more Jan-Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :)
      I have no idea how my toes would be fractured, but the joint looks cooked and swollen...it is odd.
      I guess I will biking more lol
      I am working on getting strong again! Hopefully my shoulders will hold :) I have been hoovering around the same plateau for so long now! I just want to inch up. I guess cold mornings are good motivation to stay in the jammies lol

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about your foot. Hopefully with some rest it will behave! I am glad you can still use the trainer. I did my first long run of the training cycle yesterday, 12 miles, and I am WIPED. UGH.
    Way to go with the strength training.
    Hey, I am good at eating too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always tough when you start increasing that distance!! but it Boston :) yay!
      I hope this darn foot behaves soon. Thanks Cheryl :)
      Eating is just so much easier than all this working out stuff lol

      Delete
  9. I hate when that happens. Every now and then I feel a twinge in my foot & I freak. So far, it is not serious. Injuries like that are so frustrating. You are taking it well. At least, you work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I have been at every twitch lol once you have an injury that sidelines you, it is hard to not freak!
      I can do other things...now will I enjoy them as much, probably not.
      I just kind of felt like when something keeps showing up week after week it is probably coming to collect soon.

      Delete
  10. I hope you dont have that icky feeling anymore. I hate when it feels like I've never ran a day before. So weird how that happens.
    You keep at it though lady - proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it odd...you just feel off, but can't really pinpoint why.
      I will keep trying to push heavy things up :)

      Delete
  11. I hate that your foot is giving you issues but am VERY happy that you are listening to it and letting it heal. You don't want another year with a long time off from running!

    What a variety in temps! We are having strange winters this year, right!?

    Stalker alert - I saw your name on your Garmin pic so I sent you a friend request lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this doesn't take too long! It's already killing me lol
      I friended your:) I am okay with stalking buds! LoL

      Delete
  12. Yikes, sorry about your foot! I hope the rest helps out. I agree that the ups and downs in the temperatures don't really seem to be helping anyone either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      It is hard to adjust and get the layers right lol l so odd!

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear about your foot but the rest will definitely help! I've learned the hard way that you shouldn't push things that are wonky. Those are some crazy temperature swings! It's so hard to adapt to them. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I can get through this soon :) fingers crossed... I am tired of being wonky!

      Delete
  14. Ugh! Sorry to hear that your foot is still acting up, and even worse. Hopefully the rest and putting some ice on it will help. It's good to hear that the bike doesn't bother it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I should be happy I can cycle! but you know the drill...I'd rather be running lol

      Delete
  15. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you're sidelined right now. Hopefully it will be a short recovery and you'll be back on the roads again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) me too!
      Happy trails to you this weekend!

      Delete
  16. Oh dang! That is odd about your foot, do you think it could be a stress fracture in your toe? Have you made an appointment with a foot Dr.? I know this is so frustrating, why can't we just run when we want too? There are plenty of people who can run and choose not too or are too lazy, it seems to me like those of us who really want too, run into way more problems than those who don't! I'm upping my game on weights too. Also after this weekend going to make it a point to do more hip exercises. I think my weakness there is what is aggravating my IT Band. I appreciate all the well wishes and thoughts over this past weekend for both Holly and I. She even talked about you and how supportive you've been. I know she is so grateful for your support!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You echo my thoughts! I try to keep up with my fitness and it seems something hurts, aches, doesn't seem right!
      I do have an appt. on the 20th - I will rest until then.
      I am so glad you both had a great weekend and accomplished that 26.2!!
      Upping the weight and getting stronger is supposed to help us right :) I keep trying. I hope that IT band isn't too bad. You can rest now :)
      I have really enjoyed seeing all your Disney pics on IG!!!

      Delete
  17. Aw man that stinks. Hopefully it's a quick recovery and you're back to running sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I hope!! I have been enjoying my happy race streak :) hopefully soon

      Delete
  18. My neuroma was sending lightning bolts through my 2nd toe and it's nowhere near the neuroma. Think positive and keep that appointment! Do not panic. You can always pool run! Both of my feet were swollen after the race and it made me happy it just wasn't the bad one. LOL. That's some speedy running you've been doing! I appreciate your support and encouragement more than you'll ever understand my friend. Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that darn neuroma isn't dead.
      I am trying to think positive, but I don't think I will pool run this time. I am just not that motivated. If I really have fracture I guess I will need to reevaluate.
      Okay, well both feet swollen is less scary than just the bad one lol
      My running has been so good it seems crazy I could do that hurt(???) but at least I have some good ones to think about .....
      I am so glad you got through the race!!! I did wait Sunday just in case you texted me and needed cheer-leading, but see you are so awesome you worked it out just fine :) I love your race pic :) You looked beautiful my friend, no way it looked like you had been running a marathon!

      Delete
  19. Stupid foot! I'm sorry this foot pain has derailed you training. I know how frustrating that is. I hope it's short lived and you're able to get back to your normal training soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Me too :) I look forward to this time of year so much. I am trying to be patient though so I can heal up! Happy training to you :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤