Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Before I was a Runner

Before I was a runner I walked a lot!

My average walk would be about an hour and half,  usually five days a week.  Weekends, I would spend a lot of time walking trails. My habit was to run for about 30 to 45 seconds randomly and then walk, I ran just to get my heart rate up. I was 100% positive I could never run for a long time.

It was my main form of exercise for years.

Before I walked all the time, I LOVED aerobics...
I regularly left the house looking like this...well, with red hair.


I did step two aerobics like an addict. It was my favorite thing about the gym. The class intensity kept me smiling.
Even after a really great class though, I would still want to take a walk in the evening. I liked the solitude.
I changed jobs and hours, and that eventually caused me to end my four year addiction to step aerobics.

I did try Curves for a year. Remember Curves, anyone? You had a circuit set up and it really got your heart rate racing and seemed to do good things for me, but eventually I got tired of taking a bag to work, changing...
The more hours I worked, the more I just wanted to come home and walk.

In 2009, I ended up with frozen shoulder.  It took about a year to get any range of motion back. During that I stopped doing group classes, dropped my gym membership, and Curves went by the wayside. The only thing comfortable was walking, so that is how I became a walker. I did it for years.
It wasn't until 2012, I got the nerve to try running more than a few seconds at a time.

Since I have been injured, I rediscovered how much I love walking and how it takes me to my relaxed happy place.

Pedals are okay, and of course biking would be much easier right now if it was warmer, but honestly, it doesn't relax me much.

What I really miss and need the most, is being on my own two feet.

What would you miss the most? 
Were you around for the bad body suit leg warmer era? LOL  
Did you ever do step aerobics, Curves, or any other program you love/loved? 
Have your work outs changed a lot over the years? 

20 comments:

  1. Walking must take you to a calm, happy place because this post gives off a totally relaxed vibe :).

    If I had to stop running I would definitely become a walker and I think I would try to walk half marathons - like I see so many people do. I saw a woman wearing a half marathon bib cross the finish line in 4:3X this weekend. I don't know what her circumstances were, but I thought it must take an insane amount of dedication and quiet confidence to walk 13.1 miles. Of course it made me cry to watch her raise her arms as she crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that I forgot how much it relaxes me. I have been so zoned into running the past few years :)
      I hope I can get back to running, it is possible for sure,but different for each person. You know i am going to try!!
      You know it's funny you tell that story, because I wondered if I would be motivated to do races if I can't handle running long distance, but why not. It would still be a fun accomplishment ")
      That is sweet she did it!

      Delete
  2. I love to walk, that is why I became a podiatrist, I wanted to help other people walk with out pain.
    I used to love step aerobics until I hurt my ankle doing it. You got to love those crazy 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! The world needs good doctors that want to encourage activity :)
      Step was awesome, but i can't believe what I wore LOL

      Delete
  3. Of course I did step aerobics! Never did curves, tho. I really loved kickboxing a lot, and still do it, but at one point that's what led me to develop tendinitis in both elbows.

    I've always been into walking, too. Long before I had the dogs, which meant I had to walked (even if Lola hasn't been walked in a week, but that's due to our crazy weather).

    And I can remember when we had to put one of our cats to sleep, I'd go out for a walk and come back an hour and a half later. I even walked all the time when we lived in VT -- talk about cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I've had those walks where time just blurs, or maybe the mind does. I bet VT was freeeezing lol shoot, where you are now is pretty darn cold.
      I tried kickboxing but I always felt like I would end up throwing something out of whack. Why does the fun stuff hurt us!??

      Delete
  4. I was right there with you at aerobics and step classes. I loved them. Some wore those butt floss unitards. Yikes. After that I used to spend lots of time on the Stairmaster. That was a serious workout. I love that you enjoy walking so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, we had a few who wore those thong like things, they were always way too buff LOL i had forgot about that!
      It was so much fun, I tried to go visit a few gyms and do classes over the past few years, but it just not the same now.
      I am surprised how much I have enjoyed it, I had been so focused on running.

      Delete
  5. I haven't done step aerobics in forever! I used to love it too. I started out by going with my mom and then I went with roomates in college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one of these days I will find someone who teaches old school aerobics again, it sure was fun!!

      Delete
  6. That's too funny. Before i started running, I used to go for walks. I used to get up early and walk before work. And I went to aerobics classes. They were the thing back then. I had a frozen shoulder from a pinched nerve - tennis I think. it took a lot of time until I could left my arm again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to walk before work too :) When I started running I thought how funny it was I would get up early to walk, but I may be back to doing that soon!
      That shoulder stuff is serious, it takes FOREVER!

      Delete
  7. I love walking too! Whenever I am inured I walk in the morning when I would have been running. It's so good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it gets a little nicer, I will get up and walk if I can't run :)

      Delete
  8. We're sisters.
    I did Jazzercise for over 10 years. I LOVE aerobic classes - & step aerobics kicked my butt for the longest time - I still have a step at home that i'll use.
    Watch - all those oldies will come back around again.
    Walking - always will be the best exercise there is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I want it to come back, except for the body suit LOL
      Jazzercise was fun too. I like Zumba, but i am not coordinated lol I think if I have be walker who runs a little, I will be okay :)
      I am still hoping to get back to running though.

      Delete
  9. This post just made me smile and relate! OMG yes do you remember the thong leotards??? No I did not sport one. But it made me think of it! Leg warmers oh my, these could come back I wouldn't mind about them, but they can keep the thongs... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about what I looked like and just laugh....the thong, those things were bad. i id have striped shorts I wore under my body suit and I have to wonder why i loved them so LOL

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤