Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Stability


Linking up today with 
Deb Runs for the Wednesday word.
Deb Runs
Stability

  • firmness in position
  • your base or balance

My first thought when I saw the word was my feet. 


The number one thing you need to run are healthy feet.

They absorb impact and push off simultaneously. Bones, tendons, ligaments, all working together you keep you in motion. 

You can have all the clothes, shoes, fancy electronics tracking devices, but if you don't have healthy feet, you aren't going anywhere.
For a long time I took my feet for granted. I just expected them to do whatever I desired, until they wouldn't/couldn't do it anymore

Now 40 days without a run, my feet are finally feeling a twinge better. I can begin the process of regaining my stability

Currently,  I can not raise up on the ball of my feet. 
I did a ton of this before I was injured, in my shoes, barefoot, on my stairs at home, at different rates of speed. 
I miss that simple motion. 

As runners we expect a lot of our tootsies. The best thing we can do for our running is to practice things that will help us improve how we stabilize and balance. 

My feet developed some bad habits while sore. They tend to roll in and out, trying to accommodate movement and avoid pain. 
Those habits need to be broken. 

A few things I am working on: 

Single leg balance work - curls and shoulders presses on one leg. 
Heel raises - inhale, raise the heels. Exhale and slowly lower them. 
When it feels really easy, I get to close my eyes and work on it :) 
Toe Yoga




This one is challenging ;)
Alternate lifting the big toe and toes without curling them. It is so much harder than I expected to get control of those little muscles, but I am not giving up.
I have had better toe yoga sessions, but apparently I am coordinated challenged. Trying to hold my phone and moves my toes at the same time, is just too much for me. 

Balance board work will be added in soon. In shoes and in socks, so I can work on control and stabilization


Do you have a favorite balance/foot strengthen activity? 
Ever tried toe yoga? Try it! 

26 comments:

  1. I can't do those exercises at all. I have awful feet. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not very good at it either lol but I keep trying to chip away at it :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, the feet! Oh how I've taken mine for granted. The PT is putting me through the wringer with stability stuff! But, I know it's good for me -- especially with my foot and old ankle issues. My sister gave me Yoga Toes for my birthday after I mentioned it felt good to separate my toes. Check them out. They are kinda weird. I used to balance on one foot while drying my hair (cause it takes forever!). You keep working on what you can. I think it will pay off in spades. You will run again. I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to remember to do the balance stuff in my daily routine. I needed that reminder :) I hate drying my hair in the morning, but I don't have a good texture for air dry lol
      I will run again, but I have a feeling it may different for awhile. Less seems to equal more success in the long term. 2016 may not be the year I planned at all. Trying to prepare mentally for that. We'll see...

      Delete
  3. I stick to trail running for my stability. My ankles were a wreck when I first started but slowly strength and stability built up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail running is good and it does make you work on coordination as far as planting your foot and improving that visual coordination. I think I may be spending a lot more time on the trails I avoided last year. After my stress fracture I was nervous to twist and mess that bone up but it is strong and ready to roll now.

      Delete
  4. No, I've never heard of toe yoga! Now you've got me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found videos online :) My Doc was picky about keeping the toes straight though. It is hard lol Try :)

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of toe yoga, but then I've never tried regular yoga either.
    But hey if it works, go for it right!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, why not, right lol It if helps, I'll do it :)

      Delete
  6. I love your toe yogi! OMG this just made me smile but you know I had to take off my boot at work and try this and dang it takes a lot of concentration! Keep up the good work Karen, you'll be back out there before you know it. Meanwhile keep enjoying those walks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see how good my Doc is :) he is a great runner. I am so uncoordinated, it does entertain me lol My run buddy wanted to walk tonight, the problem is once we start we don't stop lol

      Delete
  7. I need to work on my feet muscles too. I failed a toe test of trying to raise just your big toe. Can't do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should totally work on this :) I can control the big toe, but those other ones...whew!! I have little to zero control lol

      Delete
  8. I used to take my feet for granted, too, until my episode with Plantar Fasciitis last summer. Now, I try to massage my arches regularly, and do a lot of ankle rotations (which also helps the arches, believe it or not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am totally with you when I am stretching at the gym, I roll my ankles in both directions and work them back and forth. It is no joke when our feet don't cooperate! It is amazing how everything works together.

      Delete
  9. I"ve been doing a lot of heel lifts for my PF. Hurts so good!

    I have yoga toes. We stretch them out a lot in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss doing my heel lifts, it does hurt so good. My calf muscles need it too:)

      Delete
  10. I DO often forget about my feet, and then whenever I have a problem with them, I get all haughty about it, like WHY ME, but I really don't do foot strengthening stuff. I should. It is hard to do EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to do everything, I am currently slacking quite a bit, and there is no good reason for it. I am trying to keep my foot tissues loose and soft though :)

      Delete
  11. I am so glad you posted this video. I think people forget how important the muscles of your feet are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was not very coordinated in this video, but it is really important. I keep working at it :) I am hoping I can make a successful come back.

      Delete
  12. I think running more trails over the past year and a half has really helped strengthen all these little stabilizing muscles/tendons/etc. in my ankles and feet. But boy could I feel it when I first started running trails.

    Thanks for the reminder not to forget about my feet! I hope recovery continues to go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meagan :)
      I do believe trail ruining is a wonderful workout and helps with stabilization. Strong trail runners always seem to be faster on the pavement as well!

      Delete
  13. My large toe on my right foot refuses to move during toe yoga. It definitely has a bad attitude toward toe yoga and refuses to participate!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! A bad attitude big toe...all mine are resisting lol who would have thought such a simple move would be so hard?!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤