Sunday, March 13, 2016

We Skipped Spring, and I Ran Finally!

As usual I am linking up with the awesome weekly wrap up ladies,
Join in! ㋡ Check out the etiquette here 

Since this seems to be my one post of the week, these tend to get too wordy, I try to condense it, but a lot goes on and I am trying to stuff it all in one post! 




This book is awesome.
If you are a trainer, a coach, or injury prone, as I seem to be,  (even though I hate to freaking admit it,) or you have a chronic area that tightens and aches, this book is for you.

The writer got into health care to learn how to maintain being a healthy runner because he was plagued with injury when he was young. He does a good job of making complex things easier to grasp. I most appreciated the guidelines he lays out (in steps) to help you figure out your weakest areas without getting all hooked up in a lab.

Another thing I loved, he promotes doing what comes natural...heel striker, mid footer striker, it doesn't matter so much, what really hurts us is the way we compensate for a weak area. 

Probably my best take away from this book is, rest for some issues will never be the answer. Tissues and tendons need the load on them to stay strong, and form is everything. 

My left hamstring has been my nemesis area for almost a year now. This entire time I have been off running it continues to plague me, so obviously rest isn't the fix, but I am working on it and it is improving.  
It is a good book!

Changing gyms is a funny challenge. I am slowly getting used to the new equipment, but it is throwing me a bit...
I totally needed a break from the bike, so circuit training has been fun this week.
My work outs aren't feeling super stellar, but I am sure they will once I adjust to all the new :)

MondayRest!
TuesdayCircuit Training (40:44)
Stretching, leg lifts, upper body (42:04)
Wednesday rest again...
Thursday Circuit Training (38:01)
15 min. Core Work
Friday Walking w/ one minute run intervals 7.08 miles (1:37:52) Stretching
Saturday Cycling 8 miles (31:56)
Core Work 17 min.
Leg Weights 32 min.
Sunday Half mile warm up - 5K run (30:48) Walking 1.50 miles (23:37) Stationary Bike 3.50 miles (15:31) 75 min. upper body weight training

I tried balancing on the ball this week, I will tell you I didn't look like the gal in this picture. I was a wobbly mess...
Bridges were a heck of a lot easier...


I saw my Doc Friday and he really didn't like how my Brooks Connect are fitting with my orthotics...orthodics(?) you know, these things pictured below...

The inserts are a challenge to fit in A LOT of my shoes actually.

I went and tried on Hokas, Mizunos, Adias, Asics, and New Balance in several different models, and it was a bit discouraging. The inserts tend to make me roll out and most things were not fitting much better than my Brooks. A lot shoes put too much pressure on my toes because the inserts raise my foot.
I tried to to go without wearing them a few times last week and my feet were burning, so I do feel confident they really make a positive difference for me, I just need to find the right shoe. 

Saturday, Kenny and I went to Dick's to try on more shoes. The Doc wants me to spend one more month in sneakers at work and hopefully I will be over the hump.
I decided to try any random thing. Under Armour, had nothing, but Nike surprisingly did. I will tell you I am not a Nike fan, but the shoe I tried fit my inserts pretty well. 

I decided Sunday morning I would try a short run. These are structured so different from what I am use to, and I was pleasantly surprised.  



 I ran a 5K (A RUN!!)  in my Nike Flex Supreme TR 4 shoes
 I had to get them as plain as possible so they will be less noticeable at work

It wasn't a perfect run, but I had minimal outcries from my feet, and my feet didn't swell like they have on my previous attempts, so I feel a tiny bit victorious today.


I had my timer but I decided not to use it.


Fatigue kicked in at 2.65 miles. I decided I could keep my feet under me, land softly, and make it to the 5K point. 

I guess the lack of  endurance is to be expected after two months off, and I am carrying about 6 extra pounds. I don't feel too discouraged though, it was very hot and sticky out, and most of you know that is a challenge for me even when I am "in shape".

I showered, ate, and had a break before I went to the gym to get my upper body work done. My left foot was sore.  I was limping a bit, but my feet didn't swell and there was no specific pain, just tenderness.

The feet are hard to figure out, after my walk with run intervals (one minute run) on Friday my foot really swelled, however Saturday when I woke up, my foot felt better than it had all week.  
I still need to be careful about how much time I spend on my feet, but overall I think I made progress this week. 

I leave you with our Saturday night fun...




Hubby took this picture of Junior, he is our little Derek Zoolander. Anyone get the reference?


Anyone see the MSQRD app on Jimmy Kimmel?
Anyone ever run in Nike shoes? 
Have you ever had to adjust to a new gym? and realize you were attached to equipment? LOL

Thanks for stopping by! 
I'll be back to blog reading this week and I will be glad to catch up with you all soon. 



46 comments:

  1. What did WHAT? Was that you I heard screaming all the way from VA today? I'm so glad you were able to run -- and a 5k at that! WHOOT. Now don't do like me and go overboard! I'm betting you really didn't mind the hot and sticky either. The book sounds very interesting. If only I had time to read something besides blogs (#truth). Thanks for linking up with us Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that was part of my problem last week. I wanted to read the book, and my mood- ugh...and so busy all day, anyway hopefully this week is better. Yes, I actually ran, it was fun but I could tell I was at my limit! I guess that'll get better, but maybe not because summer is coming full force lol I wish I could go overboard...but, these feet are something.

      Delete
  2. That's so great that you got in a 5K! I'm so happy for you. Very frustrating about the shoe situation. Will you have to wear orthotics forever or just for the next month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always wear the inserts to work out. The Doc said I can try my Clark's at work, my inserts don;t fit in them, and see of my feet respond well, if not I may be in them all the time.
      My feet are better this morning, but it takes awhile for me to recover from a run still so maybe one run a week for now...better than none :)

      Delete
  3. That's great you were able to run 5k, and yes, a girl in my running group was just fitted with Nike shoes and loves them. I just took out my molded shoe inserts (not orthodics but similar) and I am doing fine without them. The ortho doctor thought I should go with a natural footbed and it seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)
      These shoes are feeling very different but working, so I'll go with it. I wonder if I will ever work my way out of the inserts. I think the natural foot is always better but mine may be too worn out lol

      Delete
  4. So glad you were able to run!! Success! I like the photo shop pix!

    I haven't run in Nike, they tend to bother my feet. I wish I could though, because I like their color combos. I just not a new pair of Saucony's and they are ugly. Bleh.
    I always wear sneakers. Yeah, I am a slave to comfort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your feet probably love you for it! I am enjoying my sneaker stint at work LOL I got such plain Nike's because I am wearing these to work, they are my everything shoe for now...but I do like the colors.

      Delete
  5. Yay, I'm glad you found some shoes that seem like they will be a good match! That book sounds great. I'm going to have to look into that. My calves often seem to be tightening up on long runs and I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to find the princess fit in a shoe!!
      My calves used to tighten up, but that area actually improved with all the calf raises, stretches, and I worked on building muscle for about a year. Now it is my hamstring lol it is always something, we just have to keep working on it!

      Delete
  6. Oooooh my, Kenny and the hearts! Awesome!

    Yay you ran! I am glad it went relatively well!

    That book sounds very interesting. The more I read the more I *know* rest is not the answer for every problem. Neither is running 7 days a week, but some things take more than just rest to fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the hearts too lol

      That is the truth Megan, my fear is making something worse, so it is hard to weeed through it, but I try to go slowly when I add stuff in :)

      Delete
  7. I know you have to be so happy to RUN!!!!!
    Those orthodics seems so high. Do they stand up that much in your shoe? Whatever works, right?
    I like your new shoes. I've never done Nike shoes before. but I bet those do work even for work shoes. Basic enough.
    I may have to check out that book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had happy endorphins on mile one! :)
      The orthodics do sit high, the ball of my foot is so low it was taking too much impact, so the arch is raised. At first they felt strange, but now my feet fatigue and ache when I don't wear them so I guess I am stuck with them lol Thanks, I am trying to like my new shoes lol
      It is a good book :)

      Delete
  8. YAY for getting to run! It's already getting hot here, so I feel your pain. So sweaty. I have run in NIKEs before, but for me they run a little small. Thanks for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Sunday I ran right before the rain, so I guess the humidity was banging lol It is nice out now, so hopefully we will get some real Spring before it hits!

      Delete
  9. That book sounds really interesting. Yay for getting a run in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The info in the book was much needed. I am working on several things ;)
      It felt good to run.

      Delete
  10. I ran in Nike shocks way back in the day, when I knew nothing of running specialty stores and chose my shoes based on looks. Your Nike's look like more legit running shoes, though, and I'm glad you found a pair that work with your orthotics! I know it's gotta feel great to be getting some miles in again :)

    Is Junior doing 'Blue Steel'? It sure looks like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait till I can a little more :)
      Yes, Junior is doing Blue Steel! He poses quite often and isn't very bright but we love him LOL

      Delete
  11. Hooray for a RUN! So glad it felt (mostly) good too! I wore Nikes when I started running back before fire was invented but that's the last time I wore them. These kids SWEAR by them still! Really? It's summer where you are? After a couple nice days, we're back to cold and rainy. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to be running, I laughed when I started to feel tired and checked my watch...come back endurance lol
      I ran right before rain so I guess it was just really humid. It is nice out now, I hope Spring hangs around for awhile :)
      ...before fire lol you are funny!

      Delete
  12. That's really interesting about the tendons. Which kind of validates me for not stopping running with my ankle, which keeps improving but isn't quite normal yet.

    Hurray for shoes that work and a run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems my inner knee stays less achy when I run. It is a fine balance though, trying to not hurt something that is tight...I would think the Yoga should really help you.
      I was so glad to run again!

      Delete
  13. Love the pictures with you and hubby! You're funny! Sorry that you've been having so much trouble with your feet. I like the black nike's though and congrats on getting out there for the 5K! WAHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina :)
      I am so sick of these feet, I can't wait to be over it!! A little run felt great!

      Delete
  14. Blue steel! :)

    Oh man, joining a new gym and figuring it all out will take some time! I know you have the dedication to do it, though :)

    I hope those Nikes end up working out! YAY for running again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue Steel it is LOL
      I am surprised i am having such a time at the gym, I guess I will get a good routine going eventually.
      I am going to have to think of out of my normal running box to find long run shoes lol but these are working for now :)

      Delete
  15. Yay that you got out for a run!!! That's the best news I've read today!

    I too am sporting running shoes at work. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in running shoes for so long I may never want to give them up lol I do miss cute shoes, but these are comfy.
      I was thrilled to run without pain for little while :)

      Delete
  16. You ran! Woot Woot!

    I am wearing Nikes for the first time and loving the, Hope they work for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      What Nike's are you trying? These really feel great all day.

      Delete
  17. Glad to hear you are back at it. I would have tried any and every shoe to see if my orthodics fit. I am not a big Nike fan either, but if it works, I would go with it !
    I didn't know you were at a new gym. Why did you change ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a new small gym open near us and our other place was so crowded. I am liking it, I just need to get used to it all :)
      I guess I will learn to appreciate Nike, my feet are happy all day so far!

      Delete
  18. I read that book, too and learned a great deal! I am so glad you liked it and things are starting to progress in the right direction. Keep it up, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan :) The Doctor wanted me to read the book for homework and I did learn quite a bit. Honestly, some things my PT had told become more clear. I didn't understand what the PT was saying half the time, but he tried, this book broke it down for me!
      I will keep working on it :)

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for the book suggestion. I seem to always Google all my issues and never end up helping myself much. I would never even attempt to balance on that ball or I'd be on my face! lol I hope you find the right shoes and your injury subsides. You just reminded me that the new Zoolander is out, I think! I must go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book has been helpful to me, I have been working on things suggested and I am finding my hamstring is improving :) Now my feet...no so much, but the left one is still healing, so I won't judge that situation yet lol
      Thanks Diane, I am going to keep working on it :)
      The new Zoolander is pretty ridiculous, but we liked it :)
      Blue Steel is our little Junior's best look ;)

      Delete
  20. Karen, I am sorry to hear about your orthotic situation. For some of my patients, I will go with a more streamlined orthotic. Ask your podiatrist if he could do that for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will!
      I am beginning to understand why some folks never make it back to running. I am trying to be patient, it's only been a few months, I know I am still healing, I just wish it was faster.

      Delete
  21. Yay for a run! NO I mean YAY!!! Yes don't do like Holly and jump into marathon training, lol. Take it easy so you can move forward, I know that is easy to say. I want you right by my side come December! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could jump into training, but the reality is short distance felt very challenging.
      My plan is to be well by December and running that half marathon with you! Shoot, I turned over the idea of the marathon but I don't handle heat well so FL is probably not the place for me to try lol

      Delete
  22. Sounds like a good book! I heard Jack Daniels say the way your foot lands doesn't matter, like your book. Glad things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that, one less thing to worry about when running is always good :)
      Thanks Tina!

      Delete
  23. I learned about resting not fixing everything when I had plantar fasciitis. Those strength moves are so important! I am glad you found some shoes that work with your inserts :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina :)
      It is amazing what a difference a few simple strengths and stretches can make :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤