Sunday, April 3, 2016

April Showers

It is a quick hello this week.

Linking up with my gals, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin for the weekly wrap up.













Join in! ㋡ Check out the etiquette here 


I have been in hibernation mode just trying to give the feet time. Trust me when I tell you, I am sick to death of these feet, but I do not want to make anything worse, so I am trying to practice restraint and give my body time to rest up.

Originally, I thought I would bike and increase my long rides while I can not run, but I have been feeling so worn down, I decided this might be a good time to really rest.
I promise I have not given up! I am a person who loves to push my limits, but I have come to the realization my body needs energy to heal. 

I'll be back at it hard one of these days! I can't wait for that day :) 


MondayBiking 20.58 miles (1:46:18)
Tuesday Rest
WednesdayRunning 1.52 miles (15:20) Walking 1.34 miles (19:07)
ThursdayRest
FridayArc Machine (20:29)
Upper body weight training 72 min.
SaturdayBiking in the rain 14.29 miles
(1:11:50)
Sunday Stationary Cycle 3 miles (13:40) Leg Work 52 min. 


Wednesday I got up to test the foot before work. I had not done an early morning session in almost three months. The good thing about the morning, it forces me to keep it short. 
In March when the Doc said I could try to stat running again,  I was really anxious to get out there, but in retrospect it was too soon. I wish I would have waited a little longer. I can't go back, but that is the reason I have spent less time on my feet the past few weeks.    

Saturday when I took my bike out, the rain was supposed to be clearing up. It didn't. Heck, once you are already wet though, what does it matter. Riding in the rain is an experience I may never repeat though lol 

The shoe search has been a little crazy, but I made progress finally!
I found the pair of Merrell's pictured below. I brought them home to try on with my running socks, and they slip just a little too much in the heel, but the the toe box is plenty roomy, so I know the half size down will ft just right with my inserts. 

After I thought about it a few minutes, I went and tried on the trail Merrell's I already own...(drumroll)... and they fit! ROTFL
I tried them on when I first got my orthotics and they felt too tight, but my feet were still swollen then I guess. 
So how about that?! After trying on 9 million pairs of shoes (and returning a bunch) I have a pair of shoes right here that fit, and another option I am sure will work. 

Pretty ditzy, huh?! 
So this upcoming week, I will test out my trail shoes even if I run pavement. 
When I first started running I had a pair of Montrail's (trail running) and they were so comfy, I wore them all the time and my feet were pretty happy. 

Have you ever biked in the rain? My brakes squeak! 
Thoughts? Any reason not to take trail shoes to the pavement? 
Have you ever run in Merrell's? 
What do you have going on this week? 

To all you racing this weekend I wish you all the best! 

31 comments:

  1. You worked out every day but one. Umm, that's what you call hibernation? LOL. I get it -- you want to run. But, I say that's a great week! I have biked in the misting rain, but not full on rain. My feet kept slipping because I didn't clip in with a fracture foot. Hey, give yourself credit for remembering you had those shoes. Are trail shoes normally heavier than running shoes? I've never had any, so I'm clueless. Thanks for linking with us Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't feel like I am really challenging myself, but I needed a break.
      My trail shoes are a little heavier probably about 12 oz. additional weight, maybe that is slowing me down lol They don't feel too bulky, but i can tell a difference. The ones in the picture feel lighter than what I have, so maybe I will order a pair.

      Delete
  2. YAY for the Merrells!!! I've never tried that brand but I hear really good things. LOL at how the shoes that worked for you were ones you already owned. It reminds me of when I was single and people used to tell me, "The perfect guy for you may be right there in front of you, and you don't know it!" I've biked in the rain once or twice before and don't plan on doing it again, if possible. Too scary!!! As always, I wish your feet the speediest of recoveries!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily :)
      Biking in rain was pretty bad lol it would stop once second then it like someone dumped a bucket the next...very annoying.
      Merrell' are a great trail shoe for sure.

      Delete
  3. I have gotten caught in the rain a time or two. As long as it's warm and my phone is protected I don't mind (but I much prefer to run in the rain which I do actually think is fun). I have Merrell hiking shoes! Years ago when I took a break from running they were also my winter walking shoes. I love them. I hope they make your feet happy this week! Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merrell's are very comfy, I love to hike, I really wish I could go more! The ones in the picture are even lighter trail shoes than the style I have at home.
      It is more fun to run in rain for sure lol

      Delete
  4. You worked out 5/7 days! Maybe running wasn't included in there but variety is the spice of life! This non-running time gives you the opportunity to really focus in on making your whole body stronger! You will be the most well rounded athlete in the running blog world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina :) I am not feeling super strong these days but I am trying to keep a balance going. I am just tired of not running.

      Delete
  5. I love runners. We say we are resting and not going hard, yet our weeks are full of workouts, like yours. ;) I know I know it's not the same intensity as normal, but I love how hibernation and rest for us means lots of biking and cross training! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't do something I will go crazy lol but I don't feel like I am challenging myself. I do feel like I needed some rest though, I am surprised at how worn down I was feeling since i am not running.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes rest is more important than activity. Especially if you want to get back to activity! Although it doesn't look to me like you really rested all that much.

    I've run in trail shoes on pavement. I've asked about it too, but never actually got any answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail shoes feel fine on the pavement, mine do have some grooves so they will pick up small rocks sometimes, but other wise it is still a shoe right :)
      I did stay off my feet more :)

      Delete
  7. Yay! I hope those are THE SHOES!!!!! I think you can run in trail on pavement - most people just don't cause trail shoes tend to be heavier ;) But if they work for you and don't aggravate your body, you're all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shoes are okay. They weigh a pound. They are a little heavier and maybe that will make me a bit slower, but I guess at this point I should not be worried about that lol (but it still bugs me!) I will try anything at this point!

      Delete
  8. Yay for the shoes! That's funny that you found the right ones already in your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How ironic with the shoes! I guess sometimes what you're looking for is right where you left it. :) I hope they work out for you! I do not mind running in the rain, but I really would not enjoy biking in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meagan :) I can say, biking in the rain kind of stinks LOL

      Delete
  10. Hope these are THE shoes!

    My post today should read April Snowstorm.

    Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No!! I am over snow lol it is pretty cold here again and it just aggravates me even more I can't run.

      Delete
  11. Oooo fingers crossed for the shoes.
    And I can imagine that biking in the rain must be awful. I HATE running in the rain.
    Sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :)
      Biking in the rain will not be, an on purpose, repeat, situation LOL

      Delete
  12. Biking in the rain? No thanks. I'm not much a cyclist to begin with, throwing in a mix of rain and that is a deal breaker. Big time. I'm not crazy about running in the rain, but if it's a hot summer day (and I'm already too far from home to turn back, I'm game).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been caught in the rain in summer many times running, it is not so bad. Getting caught on a bike is much worse!

      Delete
  13. I'm glad you found shoes that work! I have a hard time with shoes--I can't wear flats (hurts my PF) can't wear heels (hurts my arthritic left big toe)...it's a challenge! Luckily my Danskos work for me at work. And pair of Birkenstock sandals. I'm sure fashionable. When we meet in December we can commiserate about our feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our feet sounds very similar! I wish for both us that wasn't so lol
      I am so glad you will be coming in December!
      I am not very fashionable these days either lol but I just need happy feet :)

      Delete
  14. Hope those shoes work out for you. I have never ran in trail shoes on a trail let alone a road but I'm sure they will be just fine. Comfort is key!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always heard good things about Merrells and I don't see why you couldn't take the trail ones on the road. Funny you had some right in your closet, you sound like me. I so hope they work out. I just saw where Wendy IS planning on the December trip! Yay! We're gonna have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too.
      I know, I am excited Wendy will be joining us :)

      Delete
  16. I did lots of biking when I was injured but when it rains I go to spin class. Those little tires scare me! My feet like to be in Birkenstocks great arch support

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤