Sunday, May 8, 2016

May ❤ Miles


First off ~
Happy Mother's Day to all my fellow momma runners, no matter if you have four legged or two legged babies!  I hope you enjoyed your day.
I miss my Mom - she is 3,000 miles away
I am linking up with my gals, Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin for the weekly wrap up.
 Join in the fun and share something from your week! 


Remember Chandler, the cute puppy at my work...
Look at him now

He is so grown. He was watching over the kittens who were visiting at work last week.
Look at this little cutey, falling asleep trying to eat 



I dyed my hair Mother's Day morning. I should have been exercising! I wish I would have went and just exercised...the color is about two shades too dark...but you can't win them all.

I changed to a different dye mix and it is always a little challenging to get the color perfect on the first try. It always fades some though, so I am not that worried about it. I think it looks better in the pic, in real life it is looking a little mousey brown to me.

I really wanted to get back on my bike this week and it ended up being rainy every flipping week day! Ugh...I need that biking time, my endurance is seeping away right now.

Monday morning my feet still really hurt when I tried to run, so I rested Tuesday. I did get in to see my Doc Monday after work, and got my orthotics fixed.


2

Snooze Button Won 2.01 mi 0:19:15

Walking 0.23 mi 0:03:41
3
4

Four Was the Plan 3.06 mi 0:30:48

Cool Down 0.30 mi 0:05:16

Biking
3.00 mi 0:14:33

Upper Body Work 0:47:11
5

Got My Four
4.02 mi 0:38:37

Cool Down 0.66 mi 0:10:49
6

Stair Climber 0:34:04

Elliptical 2.00 mi 0:18:00
7

Warm Up 0.33 mi 0:05:35

Four More 4.05 mi 0:39:19

Walking
0.55 mi 0:11:07
8

Honey and I did about 70 min. of weight work :)

Wednesday morning when I ran, I really wanted to get four miles. I felt extremely challenged, it was very humid with a light drizzle (62 degrees). I was huffing and puffing and I could barely keep going...that loss of fitness is catching up to me. I made it three miles and called it a day. My feet weren't feeling superb still, but later that day I noticed a switch, that tenderness was subsiding.


I woke up Thursday and it was only 52 degrees and not as humid. I was determined to my four miles! 
I was exhausted by mile two, but I was telling myself... no way you are stopping, you can run four miles, quit thinking about walking, suck it up, hurry up,  keep moving and it will be done sooner. This self talk went on for two miles, my body just wanted to walk...
I was SO surprised when I got done, my splits looked good and I had done a nice progression run. WTH? Mentally it was a draining run. I was just barely hanging on for two miles (probably because I was running tooo fast LOL ). I was thrilled I got it done. Trying to build the fitness back up is tough!

Look how craptastic I look after I run! 


Friday I got on the stair climber. OMG, nauseating! LOL... for real, I had to look at my feet almost the whole time or I would miss the step. Maybe I will get use to it??


Friday night I slept eleven and a half hours.  My energy levels and the need for more sleep continue to be a challenge. I just barely make it until I can crash on Fridays...it is annoying.

I woke up Saturday at 9:30 a.m. It was daylight when I ran and it felt so strange, I am so used to the wee morning hours. It wasn't raining, finally...and my feet felt pretty good. I chose to go the hillier route and got four more miles in! I about died during mile three, and I had to slow up and regroup, but I held on.
I felt so good when I was done. 

These shoes are working for me :) Yay!


and I started wearing compression socks again because my legs feel tired :) because I can run...finally!
Fingers crossed, this trend continues  I don't want to pile on the miles, I just want run with a little more regularity

Your turn! Tell me any random thing about your week.
Do you have anti nausea tips for using a stair climber?
Anyone have any supplement tips to help with energy? 



44 comments:

  1. Stair-climbers make me kind of dizzy, too! I always feel like I'll fall off...and Ellipticals! I can never stay stable on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a challenge! I think it could help my running if I can figure it out lol

      Delete
  2. OMG - the pictures of Chandler and that adorable kitty are too cute for words! Great job on pushing through your 4 miles and those are some darned impressive splits. I am thrilled to hear those rockin' black shoes are working well for you and that the foot tenderness is improving. I am right there with you on the stairclimber, I have to watch my foot placement very carefully too. Yay for 11.5 hours of sleep on Friday, that must have felt heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the animals at work :)
      Thanks Emily :) I am just so relieved to be running a little again. I am surprised the shoes feel so good, I would have never tried them before I was injured.
      I always feel like a new person after I get a good long sleep session like that, but it is near impossible to do that more then one day a week lol

      Delete
  3. I think your hair looks nice! Although I know what you mean, it always seems too dark until it's been shampooed a few times. That stepmill is tough. I had to use one back when I trained for the stairs at Escape from Alcatraz. I guess I didn't look down but rather forward and I never got nauseous. But it is a piece of equipment I have not gone back to! And thanks for brightening my morning with cute pics of dogs and kitties! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli :) I think if I wash it may be better by the end of the week.
      Looking forward on the stair climber was really tricky, I found it really hard to get the rhythm going. Escape from Alcatraz sound fun! Have a great week :)

      Delete
  4. Chandler is so big and cute! I love that you have pets roaming your office. My kind of place. You have beautiful hair and the color doesn't bother me in the least. The step mill nausea thing baffles me. I used to use it all the time with no problems. Its a great exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia, I have very fuzzy hair I try to keep tame lol
      I was seriously feeling wonky after I was on the stair climber for awhile, which is weird because i love roller-coasters! I am hoping i can get used and not have to watch my feet lol

      Delete
  5. Keep advancing slowly...and I have no idea why you get nauseous on the stepper!

    I think your hair looks great! I used to color mine but the gray took over and the box color was only lasting 2 weeks. So now I pay $$$ to have it done. Hey, I need to keep up my youthful appearance, right? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying not to get greedy with the miles, it is hard!
      I swear I felt wonky watching my feet lol maybe like people get car sickness lol I hope I get used to it, I enjoy it more than the elliptical.
      Thanks, my hair is so gray now, it is hard to cover it. It is so $$, I order salon Redken and mix it myself...I am trying to take the red out. I love your color!

      Delete
  6. I used to use that stair climber at PF! It bothers my IT band now but I was always terrified I would fall off when I used it. I definitely like it better than those old school stair climbers- I'm sure you know the ones I am talking about.

    Your hair looks great!! :) And you do not look like crap after a run so hush your mouth.

    Happy Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan :) The on- going saga to find a color I like to cover my gray...I am often tempted to just let it go white, or gray, or whatever it is now.
      That stinks it bother your IT band.
      I would try to look forward and my toe of my shoes kept getting caught in the split...LOL

      Delete
    2. I like it red. :) It is hard to tell the different shades via blog pics, but it always looks great to me! I wish I had the guts to spend the money and get highlights in mine. Ahhhh it would be so nice! Can't bring myself to do it though. I just buy the boxed dye from Dollar General.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I miss having red hair but I have too much gray to deal with it now.
      You should treat yourself to highlights once! It would look fantastic :)

      Delete
  7. So are the new orthotics working better? It sounds like it! I hope you get to keep running consistently, with less tiredness and pain!!! :)

    I think that color looks good in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :)
      The switch in the orthotics is much better. I keep obsessively checking for any toe deformation after runs (sad right) but so far they have not changed anymore for the worse! I think I am on the right path again.

      Delete
  8. Love your compression argyle socks :)
    I think your hair looks great. We're always our own worst critic though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Ha! That is true, I am never completely happy with my hair. I should be thankful i still have some.
      My pink are my favorite compression socks :)

      Delete
  9. Your hair looks good! I'm glad that the new shoes are working better for you! and those compression socks are very cute!! makes my black ones look sad :(

    I did the stairs once, but like you, they made me dizzy. So now I only do real stairs, sorry can't be more help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I confess I took extra time blow drying and fixing my hair lol You should see me today! I am mess...and I have on my black compression socks lol every pair isn't cute, but they work!
      That nausea is tough. I am hoping i can past it!

      Delete
  10. Us redheads have the hardest time with color. I color my gray but also go a few shades lighter than my natural hair. I have been using esalon for about a year now and love them. I con my daughter into doing it at home. I got sick and tired of paying people money to screw my shade up. If I hear color can't lift color one more time I'll scream. I experiment sometimes with highlights and lowlights all at the same time. If my daughter was on board I'd change it up every few weeks but really it's all I can get her to do it every 6 weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am! we do...red fades and now that my hair is so white/gray the color really isn't holding, so I am trying to find a more gold tone but UGH! I missed a bit lOL
      I was using esalon and I do like the quality of the color for sure. but now that my hair is longer one kit wasn't quite enough dye, so I am Redken salon quality. Maybe I will just cut my hair lol My hubby does mine, he does a great job!

      Delete
    2. I wonder what I'm going to do when my Madison can't do it. I've tried to get the hubs to pay attention. He's a freaking painter after all. So far he has no interest in painting hair. :)

      Delete
    3. Too funny! He is a painter - he can do it! LoL

      Delete
  11. Nice job on so many miles this week! Glad your feet are finally starting to heal. How good that must feel. Keep up the great work, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Now to try to weed through how much and if my feet will tolerate 3 times a week.
      Hopefully, I can figure out how to manage it.

      Delete
  12. Ooo, sounds like things are looking yup and on the bright side. Fingers crossed for you !
    I have my hair colored every 6 weeks or so, but have it done in the salon. I got tired of not finding the right color and the fading drove me nuts. It might be more expensive now, but worth it. I hate my gray roots !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have made some progress again! I hope I can figure out how much, how little etc..without more issues.
      I am with you, I hate seeing my very white roots lol It is crazy how dye fades, but i get so sweaty when I run I have to wash a lot! I am sure you do too :)

      Delete
  13. Here's hoping the compression socks and those shoes do the trick for you!

    Your work doggie is too cute! He looks like a sweetie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to need compression socks again :)
      Chandler is very lovable!

      Delete
  14. Your hair does look great in the picture - hopefully you are liking it more now. I definitely rely on spinning to keep in shape when I can't ride outside. - I'm glad you're getting your running legs back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you :)
      I am still not loving the color, but it is close... maybe just a slight tweak next time ;)

      Delete
  15. YEA!!!! You can run again! Awesome Karen! And, Hey - I really like your color.. what do you mean it's too dark?? That dog is so adorable. Mine is 13 and slowing way down. ( pouty face - I can't stand the inevitable - I won't even think about it ) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am thrilled to running again, even if it feels ridiculously hard LOL
      I just lost a cat that was 16 and it so hard :( I hate the aging process, but I feel blessed I had him for 16 years.

      Delete
  16. Glad the Saturday run felt better! And your job sounds great with all the cute animal visitors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The animals are fun to watch for sure :)

      Delete
  17. I love the way your hair turned out! But I get it. Years ago, I let my hairdresser "go a little darker" and it looked BROWN. I drank a whole bottle of wine that night--and went back the next day to have it bleached out. I've been doing it myself probably 15 years now. PoPo would never! LOL. I'm glad you are seeing improvement in your runs. Your speed will come. If you find a magic potion for energy, let me know. Thanks for linking Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love it, drank a whole bottle did ya. I have come home from the salon and drank LOL all that money and I didn't like it is bad! SO that is why I do it myself. Popo could do it, lol Kenny is a huge help, even though I feel silly.
      No magic potion yet, but today sure pepped me up! Looking forward to Saturday :)

      Delete
  18. I actually really like your hair color, I think the coloring looks fabulous with your skin and complexion!
    I dyed my hair for the first time about a year ago, and then the 2nd time I decided to try a black burgundy, since I already had dark brown natural. The burgundy went way too red and even though it was blackish it was so not a good color for me, I was so thankful I only used one of those wash out in 28 days, LOL
    Such a pretty dog, looks like that puppy grew up quite big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is just so strange for me not see some kind of red in my hair, but it very white now, so the lighter colors wren't covering it well. I just worry about looking like skunk when I go too dark...I'll see how it goes.
      I love really dark shades like that, but they can be tricky! It is fun to experiment a little though :) The 28 days kits are fun to play around with.

      Delete
  19. Craptastic?! No way!! You look great! Nice shoes too!
    I love reading your posts, Karen. You always make me laugh !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well shucks, Raina :) Thank you! I hope you have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  20. My advice for the stair climber...don't look down. It gets me too. I usually use it as an excuse to stay off the machine!!
    I like the hair color--this time of year it will fade fast. I hate that I have to color all the time, but I am not ready to be gray (silver actually). I will save a lot of money when I am ready. I dye my hair before races--I feel it is my secret weapon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so hard not to look down on that thing! When I looked forward my shoe would get caught in the crack lol
      Color does fade fast! reds are the worst, maybe this will last longer :) I will save some money too lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤