Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Average Pace

Sometimes the average pace just doesn't tell the story. 


At a glance it looks like an average run.

It doesn't tell you... I hit the snooze button and started later than I hoped.

It doesn't tell you... I skipped my warm up. I started running a few steps after my driveway, which I never do! I always walk, and do a little dynamic warm up.

It doesn't tell you... I was determined to get at least 5 miles in this a.m.

It doesn't tell you... my head felt a little foggy when I started running because I had a margarita last night. Bless you Nuun, you made me feel better.

It doesn't tell you... I was sad to feel the highly humid conditions this a.m. but, hey, summer had to show up sometime...


It doesn't tell you... my Garmin pulls weather info, but it is almost always wrong! I track on my local app - it was 63 degrees, dew point 61 and 90% humid.

It doesn't tell you... I really had to ease up the first few miles to ensure I could get my mileage goal.

It doesn't tell you... I ran through three sprinklers. My first two were just pass-throughs and the dampness felt good on my arms and back. The last one I paused my watch for about 30 seconds, and filled my handheld with a little more water, and made sure to let the spray hit my face.

It doesn't tell you... I felt so good after my short pause, I just wanted to keep running.

It doesn't tell you... I saw pretty pink skies, but only for a few seconds.

It doesn't tell you... my lack of concern that I may be late to work. I just wanted that extra mile.

It doesn't tell you... that my feet, which stay in the 2 to 3 range on the pain scale, felt better than usual today.

It doesn't tell you... I had my up and downs on the run, but overall it felt like a great morning run.

It doesn't tell you... I made it to my desk at 7:02 with my hair in a damp pony tail, but I was completely content because I spent those early morning hours exactly as I wanted to!

Sometimes the average pace just doesn't tell the story...

When was the last time you looked at your numbers and felt like it just didn't convey the story? 

I hope you are having a great week! 
Karen 


30 comments:

  1. Way to get out there! especially so early in the morning, to get your run! You are right, Garmin doesn't tell the whole story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every morning I run...

    Yes to wet morning hair. No to a time-sucking blow dryer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you should post a story from a run next week :)
      Yes to wet hair, because at least I smell fresh and soapy LOL

      Delete
  3. Today my average pace didn't tell me I saw FOUR KITTY CATS on my run!!! I said "Hi Buddy!!!" in a really high pitched voice to each of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I see a few regulars on my route. I pet them if I am walking :)

      Delete
  4. So much more story to every run, right?
    I'm so impressed you do all that before you have to be at work. You are my hero. I just cant make myself get up earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is so much more than just numbers ;)
      Awww, thank you. I have the best energy in the morning! You should see how I wilt at night lol

      Delete
  5. Yes, it doesn't tell the whole story! And this is why I don't track pace on my runs anymore, just go out there and get it done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could break up with tracking my pace. I don't obsess about it but why should I even care?! Also trying to break up with knowing exactly how far I ran and exactly how far I walked on my run/walk method. Again, who cares?!? Apparently I still do but holding out that someday I won't....

      Delete
    2. That's awesome it doesn't bother you Hanna!! I know it would make me nutty lol even when I hiked I add up the trails so I had an idea how many miles I went lol that was pre- Garmin and phone app days lol

      Delete
    3. Susan, I totally get the need to know lol I promise if I didn't track miles or pace I would track my active minutes just so I would know- that is what I did back in the day!

      Delete
  6. I don't think my average pace ever tells the whole story! Truthfully, I can barely get the whole story out in a blog post. During a speed work run I go through ups and downs what feels like every 30-45 seconds! Sometimes, like last night, I went through those same us and downs on an easy paced run! Average pace didn't show that my calves were really tight, or that the treadmill I was on acted crazy, or that the woman on the treadmill next to me was really annoying me (for no particular reason)! Haha

    I'm glad you got to your desk feeling like a million bucks, hair up in a wet pony tail and all! That's the good life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am getting it done is the good life!!
      You are so right about the up and downs and just how fast things flip are amazing when you are running and working that hard. That is why I share my up and downs - not to whine because I didn't get the finish I thought I should but to be honest that running, even when it goes well, is tough stuff!! And I have a deep appreciation of fellow runners accomplishments for that very reason. I was going to write a post about this lol you may read these sentiments again!

      Delete
  7. I think your summary of your run tells an excellent story! Way to go and so, so happy your feet feel great. What a relief.

    My pace today was speedy (for me). It doesn't tell you that I found a new route on a country road and ran past horses grazing in the pre-dawn hours and it doesn't tell you I created a new play list that was a nice change(thus the faster run, I think...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan :)
      I like to hear about new routes and new scenery - it breathes life into you. I am glad you were speedy! We should all have that pleasure!
      I love getting some new music on the PL .

      Delete
  8. Love this ! So glad to read your feet are feeling pretty good ! My pace doesn't tell you that my calf muscle is tight as hell... and I keep running hoping it will loosen it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My feet are crazy - up and down from day to day. I keep hoping I will feel like I did today more often :)
      Awww, boo to tight calf muscles, they do mess with you on a run, I hope they loosen up soon!

      Delete
  9. I love this and it's so true! There's always more to the story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And this is why my Garmin stays home. A lot. Because of this Garmin Connect thing and my new tri watch I've been wearing it though. And I was just thinking about this on my ride yesterday because the average pace was slow. But ugh traffic. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always impressed with those that can leave the Garmin home!
      I try to not let the numbers define how I feel, but it is not easy.

      Delete
  11. Great run...I always think my numbers are much different than my actual run lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did some trail running tonight and thought of you. I can't handle the hills anymore, I gotta work my way back!

      Delete
  12. Can I tell you how much I love this? The numbers don't really tell a story at all, do they?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Especially when your pace was an even 10:00! I do the same thing on weekday morning runs - trying to squeeze in extra mileage, promising myself I'll make up the time somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I can sacrifice make up and nice hair for a good run, but never a shower lol

      Delete
  14. You are so right. I rarely even think about my pace unless I'm in a race and these days, that's even becoming less important to me. I'm starting to judge my runs by how I felt or what I saw along the way. Happy Global Running Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good place to be in, when you can just enjoy the run and take it what is around you :) I need to get batter about that! Happy Running day!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤