Monday, July 18, 2016

Humpback Rock

Sunday I decided to take the two hour ride up to Humpback Rocks and take a little hike. It was about 94 degrees, but it felt at least 10 degrees cooler the majority of time I was on the trail, the shade going up and down is completely magnificent. 


Humpback rocks
I did a little video message for you on the trail :)


When the mac daddy of bladders comes out you know I am going for an epic hike :) 
Haha, well epic in my mind, because I get super excited about a good climb up! 



This is my biggest pack - it is heavy with the 3 liter bladder. 
It is good for me, it makes me stronger!  
I also drained it dry in less than 3 hours. 


This is really a popular spot along the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

I did the main trail, which is the climb up, as soon as I arrived.



It was pretty crowded and some sections are really rocky, but no worries, you just have to pause and let people pass every so often. The pause is a nice break.  There are a few fairly steep areas, that will get your heart pumping.  It is just shy of a mile to the summit, but it takes about 30 minutes. 



The summit was covered in people. I took a break for about 10 minutes, soaked in the beauty, then headed to the 3 mile loop down the mountain. 




This section was a very pleasant surprise! Some sections were smooth enough to run. I wasn't very fast with my mac daddy pack on, but I held the strap (it bounces) and ran. It was invigorating! This section of trail was extremely quiet and I enjoyed the solitude. 



There are a lot of stretches about a .10 of a mile each
that were smooth like this. 
It was awesome :) 
I would run until I came to sections like this, full of rocks and walk. 


After I ran/hiked this section, I felt great. I decided to go up to the summit one more time before I had to drive home. 
I tried to take the steps as fast as I could - heart. pumping. out. of. chest. LOL 
My second trip up was great, it was a lot less crowded. 
It seemed clearer out, and I lingered a little longer before I headed back down. 







I headed back the way I came up, and that steep rocky trail is a little tough on the quads, but I gave it a shot and tried to run a little. 
I did pause to watch this little gal eat, it was strange she completely oblivious to the fact that I was there. 


There is a loop down the mountain you can take that is eight miles, so next trip I plan to give it a try. I am hoping it has some sections that are okay to run. 

My one big snafu of the day?! I forgot to take a towel to put on my car seat for the drive home. Womp...womp...I was a sweaty mess. I did hit a rest room and rinse off the best I could. I laughed when I arrived home, I had turned my seat-belt white from all the salt that came off me. Ewwww! My clothes were so gross, I threw them in the washing machine the second I took them off.  I was pretty sure they would have disintegrated if I let them sit in the hamper. 

Humpback Rock has an elevation of about 3,000 ft. The peaks in Blue Ridge aren't huge in my area of VA, but they sure are beautiful. 
Thanks for reading and sharing my journey.

Tell me where you last hiked or ran a trail! 

33 comments:

  1. Gorgeous views ! Do you hike by yourself ?

    And I LOVE the video ! So fun to hear your voice and you have a soft southern accent. I love it. Judy did a video a while back too.... hmmmm I might do one. When I recently met Judy and Darlene, it was so weird to hear their voices !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you. Yes, I do like when any blogger does a little Vlog :) It is fun to be able to hear what they really sound like. You should do one for sure!
      I love hiking and I do usually go alone. I do pass a lot of people on the trails though, yesterday I was even social and talked with some girls at the top. LOL One was obviously not feeling well and I was a bit concerned, but she was just heights nervous, once she sat back on the trail away from the summit, she was fine :) I forgot to tell that whole story in the blog LOL

      Delete
  2. Blogger ate my comment! Argh!

    I'll just say it was nice to hear you, it looks so beautiful, and the last trail I ran was actually in the winter, oddly enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate when a comment gets eaten!! Sometimes, I will swear I left a comment on someone's blog, but it isn't there. I wonder if it gets gobbled up!
      I love winter trail time!

      Delete
  3. Wow!! that is a beautiful view from the top!! how cool! I now need to go for a hike that park! Thank you for sharing the views and the hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some great peaks in PA too :) The view from the top is always the best!

      Delete
  4. You are totally the cutest thing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Hey, I don't know if you'd be up for this, but maybe we could meet for a hike sometime before the summer is over?? I live in Camp Hill, PA. Maybe there is somewhere you know what is good to hike somewhere in between the two of us that we could meet? I would just have so much fun hiking and chatting with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, I WOULD TOTALLY love it!!! Let me do some thinking and I will let you know. I warn you, I huff and puff LOL
      Exciting :)

      Delete
    2. It doesn't have to be exactly in between, I don't mind taking a bit of a drive. :)

      Delete
  5. Those are some beautiful pictures! That elevation looks pretty crazy. I couldnt imagine hiking with that much water on my back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa :) I can't believe I drank it all LOL I love elevation :)

      Delete
  6. It looks like a beautiful hike and your pictures are great! I hiked on Saturday up Big Spring Branch, a series of pools and little falls that are on my uncle's property. It's not an easy climb, but it surely is pretty and challenging! I hope to recap it later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Deb!! I wish I was a little closer so I could go more, but I try to share the love lol I often think if I lived close enough to hike a lot I wouldn't run as much...maybe I should runfess that on a "running blog" ;)lol

      Delete
  7. That looks lovely! We started hiking last year and love it - I will have to look into this area. Wow on turning your seat belt white. I often can scrape salt off my face after a run, but haven't checked my seat belt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!! I was really a mess. I can scrape salt like too. I was surprised though after my water consumption, I was still that bad lol Lots of great hikes near Waynesboro :)

      Delete
  8. I like hikes where you can climb to the top of a hill - especially on a clear day like this one was for you. Looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A summit with a view is nice!! I have done a few where you can't really see because they are tree covered, a great workout but not as exciting lol

      Delete
  9. looks like a great day--great workout too! Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks AMAZING!!! I have never hiked like this...I'm so jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, you need a hiking trip at least once ;) Nothing like a good climb up!

      Delete
  11. That looks like a beautiful hike! The Shenandoah is where we went for tubing this past weekend. It really is a gorgeous area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! I hope you are feeling better! There are so many great hikes in Shenandoah :) I wish I loved just a little closer!

      Delete
  12. How fun! Cute video too! I wouldn't consider your voice southern (like Karen said). I think I've got you beat on that. LOL. I have a Camelbak Lite and just putting the thing on when completely filled gets my heart rate going. The pictures are beautiful. What shoes do you wear for hiking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live for a good climb :)
      I never feel I sound southern either lol but people tell me that sometimes.
      Wait till Karen hears you LOL Your drawl is so lovely :)
      I know, I always feel the pack I wear running costs me 30 seconds a mile easy LOL and it is only a liter.
      I wore my Hoka's - and I think I decided to retire them. Something has changed and they made my feet hurt. They are fine walking and hiking, but when I started running, they were not as comfy as my Merrell's I seem to do better in my Merrell's - You never know unless you try though!

      Delete
  13. Its always so amazing to me how salt comes out of our skin & how it effects our clothing. What a crazy thing our bodies do when working out.
    Good for you doing such an amazing hike... on such a hot day.
    Love the video :) You are just precious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca Jo :) I am already itching to go back and do that longer loop LOL
      That salt is weird, right!

      Delete
  14. I'm glad the shade gave you a little break from the heat! I can't climb in heat - it makes it SO hard for me to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shade was really amazing! As I coming to the bottom I could feel the wall of heat, like when you open the door to outside from an A/C room.

      Delete
  15. I recently started hiking - alone. nothing challenging but I enjoy it. I do not run. Just walk and I carry and water bottle and wear running shoes - definitely not a professional.

    But it's addicting. I can't wait to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great!! It is fun and easier to carry water and snacks if you like.
      I love a good climb, but i enjoy hiking around my house too, hilly but more normal :)
      It is good for you, I hope you go again soon!

      Delete
  16. Nice work going up twice! And how awesome that so many people are hiking!

    A 3L bladder? NEED! LOL. My 2L one is empty in 11 miles these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :)
      That monster is heavy, but I needed it :) I really need a better pack for running, that over sized thing bounces. They are all big $$ though...you know how the running wish list is, it just keeps growing.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤