Thursday, July 7, 2016

Just Laying It Out There!

Warning...if you have never struggled with your weight this post will probably seem a bit crazy to you.

Last week I saw my Endocrinologist. She has been with me for about 5 years and is a very compassionate lady.  She always takes time to look to my other medical records, like when I had a hysterectomy. and my current foot issue, so she can have the whole picture about my health.

We talked a lot about the repercussions of this plantar plate/capsulitis issue I have. She understands and supports my desire to keep running, and affirmed (strongly) some of the things I have already been trying.
I like chatting with her because she sees so many people at various phases of the aging process, she always has something to offer, as far solutions and encouragement. 

This was the first time I have gained so much weight between visits. I am losing the weight battle in a bad way right now. I have to keep a pretty low calorie intake to stay in a normal weight range. I log all my intake so we can look and try to target small changes, because I have never done well with strict plans. It is just not me.
She did draw the line and tell me, she doesn't want me to gain another ounce, so I am trying to reign it in.
We've had my target weight set at 130 lbs. for a long time now, and she has decided it is probably not realistic. Over the past five years (since my thyroid changed) I have been very close to my goal weight about 5 different times. I will get motivated, start stringing together good days and I can get close to 130 lbs., but I never stay there long. It requires a fairly rigid routine. Each time I have been able to lose I am living in the 1100 - 1200 calorie range, basically, I have to be willing to eat a lot of salad, non-stop. This week I have been logging about 1400 calories a day, give or take a few, trying to ease my way down closer to my losing zone. I am always under budget with my exercise, but unfortunately, it isn't quite as simple as intake verses output. Even with weight training it hasn't been much easier. The scale has been creeping up, up, up, the past few months. Booo!

Our goal a few years ago was to work on gaining muscle and see if my TSH numbers would improve, but they have not. It is what it is.  I have gained some muscle, but I am growing a nice layer around my middle again.

I was also bummed my vitamin D has dropped down again, not crazy low, but back down to 24, which is still better than the 14 I lived at for a long time, but I have been pretty consistent with what I am doing, so I am not sure what to think.
I just know healthy bones will help my running! 

I scratch my head sometimes...it seems like no matter what I do, little health issues keep popping up. Maybe that is age? Or genes...I don't know, but I try to do what I can. I feel like I put a decent effort into healthy choices, minus a few margaritas, but I have to live too!

Each season of life has something different to offer, and it is my mission to make my 50's experience-rich and fun, so I guess I better dig in and work on this.
I will be trying to work my way down to new goal weight, 135 lbs. and popping more vitamin D supplements.
This is not the journey I wish I had, but it is the journey I am on, so I am just trying to get motivated to tackle it.

And trust me, I've had some moments lately where I felt like maybe I should give up the weight battle. Who cares? I am who I am ...but I know a few pounds will make me feel better.


I'd say cheers, but I guess I better lay off the wine.  :D


I love to hear any thoughts or things that may have worked for you! 

I feel like I have written this same post more than once over the past few years, but I can't get off the hamster wheel. It is an on-going battle. 
Relate anyone? 

Have a fabulous weekend!  

Karen 

27 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're struggling with your weight. You're right, it sounds like you are doing all the right things- exercises, lifting, etc. 1100-1200 calories is NOT a lot, especially for an active person like you! You work very hard, I read your recaps every week! It is because of you thyroid that it is hard to keep the weight off despite your best efforts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a lot of calories, but I can do it. I just have to get in the right frame of mind and not being able to run didn't help that! The Doc says it is okay to dip that low for awhile, and then ease up when I cant take it anymore.
      I can't figure out the input verses out ratio. I've been at this five years, so yea, I guess it is not changing. I'll never be a little old frail looking lady anyway lol

      Delete
    2. Well who wants to be frail anyway!? You're gonna be the little old strong lady at Planet Fitness with Kenny being your weight boy and loading up the bar.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great getting older? As much as I do, I'm starting to get an extra layer around my middle. My weight has not changed, but things are shifting. My goal for aging was always to avoid getting a big belly and not having a flat butt. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, you look so freaking good- lean and strong my friend.
      I am working on that bootyt lol gaining there doesn't really bother me lol

      Delete
  3. My goal now is staying active and hiding the pot belly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect goal! I dispose of a lot of pics!!

      Delete
    2. Me too. I now buy only long loose tops.

      Delete
  4. Karen, I think you are on the right track. I also think we're about the same height -- 5'1"? -- and I weight between 130 - 135, depending on the time of year. My goal has actually been to get below 130, but so far my body is resisting. I know when I go over 132, which is the very top of my WW range, I am not happy with how I look -- although quite frankly, right now I'm about there, but now I *think* I'm postmenopausal and yeah, things just seem a lot fluffier.

    I'm glad that you like your endocrinologist; she actually sounds pretty awesome. I saw one many years ago. Of course at the time I was probably at my ideal weight, but I was struggling, trying to lose some weight, which has always been slow and difficult for me, and my trainer at the time, who was also a nurse, recommended that particular dr to me.

    And that dr, without discussing my activity level, or having run any tests yet, said you need to be eating 1000-1200 calories a day. I had my test done, they showed no problems, and I never went back.

    It's such a tricky balance when weight just doesn't want to come off you. Of course struggling too much, being too unhappy, is only going to keep the weight on. But giving up is never an option either! Because there are health problems with being too heavy, too.

    I think 135, even for our height, for an active person -- and you definitely qualify -- is perfectly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 5' 2" and pretty straight up and down. 20 adult years I never weighed more than 130 until my problem 5 years ago and i woke up to 150 lbs.
      I am about 3 full years post menopausal now - so yes it does make it harder! When I have been close to my goal weight I felt really good! I am just always going to rolly poly I guess lol I feel like I can not do anymore exercise wise.
      Over the years we have played with my diet - and I can be successful- my real problem is work and prep.
      My thyroid still test with in normal limits but it is a big change in numbers. She looked at my records pre- surgery and I was functioning a lot better. I test slower now but most docs would probably not acknowledge it!
      You look great Judy! And that is awesome you can stay closer to that ideal weight. It is important to feel good:) I loved your post about it should be hard!

      Delete
  5. I am right there with you, my friend! Because of the sluggish thyroid, we don't absorb vitamin D the way we should and it all goes to hell from there. I remember when my mom was my age and I noticed her big belly. That's exactly where my body wants to go now too and I hate it. It seems as though I can function on air my calorie needs are so low. I honestly loathe rest days because I feel like my metabolism grinds to a total standstill.
    I love that you have an Dr. you like.
    All I can recommend is that you chug fish oil like nobody's business. That helps me a ton. Wish you were closer so we could bitch and drink "air" together. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I would love to bitch and drink air! That is so funny :)
      We sound so identical it is crazy. I worry about keeping my bones healthy so I can do what I want! It's nuts how it all snowballs. And the low D will make you tired as heck. The struggle is real.
      I will take the fish oil- I used to take it and stopped. Maybe that is why I dropped??
      I think we may be twins as I reread your comment.
      You are a beautiful fit strong lady!

      Delete
  6. Ugh... I'm struggling with this too. I feel like I'm on the same cycle, I get motivated and am very strict for a while, get close to my goal weight, and then it all goes out the window. I don't have any advise but just wanted to say I'm there with you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have compassion for my buds that battle this! It really does take discipline and there has to be a balance - we have to live and have fun too!! Always remember how fit you are my running friend :) you look good. And sometimes t's good to talk about it - it helps reset that focus :)

      Delete
  7. That sounds like a really low calorie count for your level of activity. So, I know you must feel frustrated! I'd be starving...'cuz I stay that way anyway. I've put on a few pounds (around the middle) that I can't seem to take off. I haven't hit "panic" just yet. But, I fear it's the female/over 50 typical Big M thing. I think adding my tri swimming has helped me lately. I guess I need to keep that up even when I'm not Tri-ing. You are strong! You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that swimming is really good for you! I think it helped me in a big way when I had the stress fracture.
      I do think we all have our areas that just like to layer up especially after the big M. I am almost 3 years post now lol time flies!
      You look stronger than ever, but it is good to nip it early! I let it go to long moping through this crud
      I promise you Holly you are even more fabulous these days :)

      Delete
  8. The joys of fighting an woman's body that is aging. Its like it all turns against us. UGH!
    I always am told to take more vitamin D but it always messes with my stomach :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that stinks it messed with your tummy! Iron is what gets me...
      You are doing great in your journey!! You look amazing

      Delete
  9. How frustrating! It's sucks when you live an active lifestyle but your body refuses to work with you. I wonder if trying a different kind of calorie counting might work, like focusing on a specific Macro count instead of just calories. Or, if you're on a medication for your thyroid, maybe that needs to be adjusted? I'm sorry you're struggling with this - I know how totally demotivating it can be to work hard and not see results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have tried more focus on fats and protein over the years, and protein does help! It is frustrating to not have results, but I guess not everyone needs are the same. I hope one day I can figure out the magic formula, but the clock is ticking lol

      Delete
  10. Well, I for one think you look amazing! I completely understand you are frustrated but I am wondering if you need another point of reference when it comes to measuring progress. Maybe you could measure lean body mass, weight, measurements. Sometimes our weight goes up when we put on more muscle. Keep your chin up and keep doing what you are doing. I am hoping things start going your way, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have kept my measurements over the past five years and lately it is discouraging. I am losing ground. My body fat percentage has always been a challenge...it seems like it should be easier! I guess I am rolly poly, but fit ?? LOL sometimes I question if I am really fit?

      Delete
    2. Well, I think you look super fit and really fantastic in all your photos! And I am not just saying that....

      Delete
    3. Thank you Susan :) I think photos hide a lot of stuff. I can play with the angle to minimize my wrinkles, my age spots, my middle lol but I am going to get fitter, I am on day two of eating like a champ - day two LOL actually I did not do bad last week at all. I was trying to reign in it before I saw the Doc because i knew I was seeing some big numbers on the scale.

      Delete
  11. I hadn't read this when I sent you a note through IG this past week...
    I struggle too. I know part of it is aging and part of it is lifestyle.... I have yet to find the magic formula either....its all going to the middle.
    I try to focus on what I can do, what I have accomplished, and the small pleasures in life but sometime the weight thing becomes a bit overwhelming....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! You look so fit in all your pics you really do. It is a balance, because I like to have fun, have a glass of wine, try new brews, I try to take it day by day, but if I can start stringing together some good days it helps.
      I always start with small changes and that helps me! I am sure it hard when you travel, but hang in there! You are training again, so you have a chance to really eat for fuel :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤