Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Five O!

Today is my last day in my 40’s forever! It is hard to believe I have lived survived  lived a half a century. 

I have now been married more than half my life


People keep saying crazy things to me like retirement is just around the corner. 15 to 18 years is a corner?? This is not cheering me up people. LOL

People also keep saying funny things, like, you are wiser. 
Well, I have hit my head pretty hard a few times in my life, so honestly, I just feel blessed my noggin still works fairly well.

A few thoughts on getting older:

Time is very precious commodity. More precious than ever...

I am bit more forgetful than I used to be.

I have lots of white hair and I really don’t care anymore.

I am trying to embrace the wrinkles and the spots and accept where I am. What’s the use of fighting it, right?

Age gracefully basically.

Avoid all things that cause your blood pressure to go up.

If something amuses you or makes you smile, occupy yourself with it.

Laugh!! As much as you can.

Experiences are better than stuff.

Diets…blah! Control your portions and enjoy life.

If you want the freaking cheesecake – eat it!

Everybody screws up, no one is perfect, extend grace often.

If someone wrongs you – do your best to not kill them.

Get a pet. They make you smile and they calm you…unless you collect too many…A
hemmm. 

If someone has a concern, acknowledge it, but don’t let it weigh you down.

Note to self, you don’t have a choice when it comes to aging; you are just along for the ride…

I cherish my family, time, and health above all.

I admit, these feet have worried me quite a bit the past nine months. I am hopeful I will find a way to manage the issue and be able to stay in motion, because that is what brings quality to my life.

I was a bit ravenous as I started my run this morning, not from hunger, but from lack of running. I have been stringing together so many rest days. My intention was to run 6 miles.  
A few minutes in, I was already thinking I will reward myself for not hitting the snooze button with an extra mile. 
It wasn't that I was having a super great run, or feeling particularly light on my feet, in fact my legs even felt sluggish at times, and it was lightly raining, but I was just SO thankful I was moving! I didn't want it to end. 

Thoughts during my run:

Wow it is dark! 

I probably should have warmed up more. 

I will reward myself with an extra mile since I started so early today. 

It still feels hot, but thank goodness it isn't 75 degrees.  

I need a sprinkler. (Found one at mile 3) 

I feel so much better! 

AHHHHHH! This is my last run of my 40’s! 


Well shucks, this is my birthday run. 

AHHHHHHHH! I will never be 40 anything ever again. 

50 minutes of running is not long enough. 

I can’t run 50 miles LOLOLOLOL

Maybe I should run 10 miles since my day is the 10th?? I don’t have time, I’ll be late to work.

Then it dawned on me – 84 minutes 8+10+66

Perfect! 2 extra miles and messy hair later  “) 


...and here's my proof, clean but messy at work. 




I ran 8 miles before work in 84 minutes.


My time goal motivated me to run a little faster the last few miles, so I wouldn't have to stop at some strange 7... something number. 




I am content I got my birthday run accomplished, even though I didn't have a plan until I was halfway through my run. 

Cheers! I’ll be working on my next half century starting tomorrow! 

Do you like to do a birthday run in miles, or time, or in some other significant way? 
How many minutes does your birth date add up to? 

47 comments:

  1. The retirement thing... Must be like telling a marathoner that we're almost there when we're halfway through. Meant with kindness, I'm sure! I hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - that is so true :) at mile 18 you don't want to hear you are almost there!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Happy early birthday! What a fun pre birthday run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy (almost) birthday! I love that as we get older, our experiences truly teach us how to brush off the things that don't matter and we can enjoy life! It sounds like you're not surviving - you're THRIVING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ali :)
      It is easier for sure to brush off or shut down from stresses I don't need! The good part of getting older for sure.

      Delete
  4. Happy pre-birthday!!!! It's so funny that you mention blood pressure because this morning I got stuck behind someone going 45mph in the left lane of the highway and I told myself, "you better keep your blood pressure down now that you're a year older!" It's HARD to do, I need to work on it! haha

    "I can’t run 50 miles LOLOLOLOL" hahaha I love it!

    I did my bday run in miles but only what was on my schedule. It didn't even occur to me to try and do something special but now I wish I had! Next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hate slow left lane peeps! That is funny, got to be careful with the blood pressure :)
      I wish I could run 50 miles!
      Hey your age will be approaching the ultra distance soon :) Something to think about!

      Delete
  5. Wishing you a most wonderful and blessed Birthday! Aging is a privilege (too many people in my life died young). I think you are aging with grace and YES to experiences more important than stuff. That is exactly how I feel. I just had my 44th this past February and that meant Rick and I have been together for 1/2 my life too (I didn't get married until 27 but I met him at 22). My Birthday adds up to 26 miles but NO I won't be running a marathon. Hopefully just my standard 3 miler and a massage and dinner with my love while on vacation from the cold CO winter (that is all I ask...not too much, right?! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan :) I always think about my Dad, he didn't make it to this age.
      That is sweet you have your love and your youth! 44 sounds young to me ;)
      hahaha, I love your birthday list! a vacation to someone warm sounds like a good idea in Feb.
      26 is nice, you could do your run in minutes!

      Delete
    2. We started that tradition when I turned 40 and we went to Costa Rica! I really love celebrating that way. I could also run 45 minutes on my next Birthday! I will try to do that but we will be in Mexico so it really depends on a lot of things (the heat, my hangover, etc!).

      Delete
    3. That sounds super fun!! 45 minutes is perfect :) I totally get the hangover part - i had to ride my bike today LOL 75 degrees, humid and hungover is too many blah factors for a run!

      Delete
  6. YEAH!!!! Way to go out with a BANG from your 40s. :) I hope you have a fabulous birthday tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out with a run ;) It put me in a good mood! I am at work but we are going to eat pizza in a few minutes!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday. 50s aren't so bad. Neither are the 60s. Age is just a number. You're as old as you feel (or act).

    You can run 5.0 miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5.0 miles would have been prefect but I was being greedy lol I had to cut my mileage last week waiting on these feet...so I wanted to run as long as I could.
      Thanks Darlene, that is true - it is just a number.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday!I love how you celebrated and I love, even more, your thoughts on turning 50! I can certainly relate ....my big 50 is lirking around the corner as well. Sooo, my birthday in minutes will be 69 (1-1-67).Sounds like I'm down for about 6.5 birthday miles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      There are some good things about getting older and "wiser" :) You are almost there!! Enjoy those miles.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday!I love how you celebrated and I love, even more, your thoughts on turning 50! I can certainly relate ....my big 50 is lirking around the corner as well. Sooo, my birthday in minutes will be 69 (1-1-67).Sounds like I'm down for about 6.5 birthday miles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday tomorrow! Yeah people say the oddest things. Like I say: Old age is a state of mind. We don't live in that state. Now go rock that second half century!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday eve! I never remember to run a meaningful distance on my birthday - maybe because I wouldn't want to run 16 miles on the 16th let alone 49 miles on my next birthday (gulp).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! Hope you got to do something fabulous! And you are not 50 years old, you are 50 years young:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off, Happy Birthday! Glad to see I haven't actually missed it. Welcome to your 50s; you're in good company (obviously) and have some great advice.

    Since my birthday falls in the dead of winter and I'm not always training for anything at that point, it's kind of 50/50 whether or not I get a run in and I really don't worry so much about the mileage.

    Right now I have a cold/virus that Mr. Judy so kindly brought home (and no doubt I caught from all the missed sleep caused by Bandit), so I am not running and not happy and I can honestly say Bandit most of the time doesn't make me real happy, either).

    But Chester didn't either, for maybe the first year of his life, and look what happened there. Bandit is making huge strides, but still, I can't see it ending like that & I am still hoping to rehome him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! Maybe since you have a winter birthday, a warm getaway would be nice.
      I am sorry you don't feel well. Lack of sleep will wear you down for sure!
      Bandit is such a cute little guy but is really turning your world upside down.I hope someone will give him a home.

      Delete
  14. Happy birthday! I love the list of thoughts while you run :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chaitali :)
      It was a busy thinking day LOL and I did math!!

      Delete
  15. Girl - you make 50 LOOK GOOD!! I seriously would have never thought you were 50. You give something for people to strive for.
    I'm with you -LAUGH every chance you can!!!
    Happy Birthday amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca Jo you are tooooo kind! Thank you so much :)
      Always laugh, it is so good for us!

      Delete
  16. Happy Birthday!! And you say you can't do math ! I could have never added those numbers while running... most of the time when running I can barely subtract how long I have left to run.

    My birthdate adds up to 115.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana! I runfess I had to use my fingers to add the 8 LOL thinking and counting and running was too much at once LOL
      115! that is a long run :)

      Delete
  17. Happy, happy, happy birthday, my dear friend!!! You look AMAZING. And I absolutely love your words of wisdom - especially on experiences being better than stuff. Life is too short to spend NOT trying to gain the most fun experiences we can, all the time!!! Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily :) You are so sweet!! You are so right life is so short, feels like I blinked and I am 50.
      Trying to squeeze in as much fun as I can :) :) : )

      Delete
  18. I'd have to run 97 minutes! Very clever idea, by the way. Happy Birthday! Love those run thoughts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh!! That is a long run lol It was a thought cluttered run LOL a lot of times I am just kind of blank.
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  19. Haha! I love your logic, except I'd have to run 92 minutes! I'm lucky to even be able to eake out 36--wait, maybe that's a sign?

    Happy belated birthday! You are going to rock your 50s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a long run, we'll have to come up with a calculation that works for you :)
      Thank you Wendy! I hope to crush them :)

      Delete
  20. A late happy birthday! Anyway I ran my last a marathon when I was 50! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Black Knight! Thank you :) I am still working on trying to run #1!

      Delete
  21. Happy belated birthday ! Just getting caught up on blogging and commenting. Hope the heat will calm down soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) I hope you had a wonderful vacation.
      Haha, I hope I can over come the heat - we shall see lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤