Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Wrapping Up July

July I had a mission. Rebuild my endurance, crack double digits, and see how my feet respond.
My plan was three runs a week, and gradually increase my long runs and I nailed it all month! The whole month was great except for the last week of the month. So close...

Weekly:
1 - 5 mile
1 - 6 mile
1 - interval run

All the runs were in freaking hot, humid, stagnate conditions, but I just kept going.
Long runs:
9 miles x 2
11 x 1

                                                                             July 23rd
During this 11 miler, that took me over two hours, my foot started to really hurt toward the end and I got worried. I could feel a change in how fast my feet bounced back after this run.

This month was really an experiment to see what kind of load my feet could handle running three days a week.

                                                                      July 25th

This 10K almost killed me!  My left foot was hurting the last few miles and I knew a break would be needed. I could feel a big change in the wrong direction during this run, I developed a tender spot that hurt to the touch.

I waited until Friday to try to run. I just did two miles and felt good, then went off to hike with Megan. I felt fine all day! Fingers crossed, I was back on track.

Saturday, the last day of July, I wanted to finish the month off strong.


I was minutes into this run and I just couldn't deal with the heat anymore. My foot felt sore, and I was completely irritated. I shut it down after two miles. I walked home and jumped in the car to head to the gym. I tried to regroup and do a few miles on the treadmill. My feet didn't feel great on the TM either.
All that sweat from 3 little miles LOL 

Basically, since my 11 mile run, my feet have been on downward spiral, and are becoming increasingly sensitive. A pattern is developing; I am hurting more now all the time even when not running, and my last run I was hurting way sooner into a run than I should. It is not a pattern I want!

For any of you that have suffered from PF  (and I have in the past) I have PF type pain, but it is all in the ball of my foot.  My toes on both feet (Capsulitis)  I feel sharp shooting pains in toes two and three, when I push them too far.

I began 2016 with almost three months off, and I am really not anxious to end up in that situation again. My feet healed to point during that time but plateaued, and now I just need to learn how to live within those limits, so I can stay active.

July didn't turn out exactly like I hoped, but I did learn some things and for now my mission is to get back to where I was in the beginning of the month, and calm the pain. I'll be starting August with a little break from running.

I was so close!  ¯\_()_/¯  I gotta do what I gotta do though, and to be truthful I could use a little break from the heat!

July I ran  ❤  87 miles. It was fun while it lasted...

Taking it one day at a time for now.


23 comments:

  1. I am sorry your feet are not giving you better feedback! I am impressed with an 87 mile month! I get happy if I hit a 50 mile month but I am more on track with 40-45 (plus about 25 miles of walking...). What is your plan while you take a step back from running? Cycling and weights? Do you think you can include walking or are you going to stay off your feet as much as possible? Hugs to you from Colorado! You are strong and this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I tell you I hate to post this stuff, but this is the journey I am stuck with and I am just trying to navigate my way through it.
      I think 50 miles a month is great :) I am thinking maybe 50 - 60 may be a sweet spot for me...I hope! I just want to get to where 5 and 6 feels pretty good again. I am feeling confident it will happen, I don't feel like I pushed too far past the point of no return.
      I am not doing well with any kind of strength training working my 10 hour days. My schedule changes again right before labor day so I hope I can get back to it.
      I think I will try to walk and see what happens :) Usually walking and hiking seem to have little impact so I feel it is fine. This morning it was SO humid I wouldn't even take my bike out LOL I tell ya, I need a break from this crazy humidity.
      Thanks for the encouragement, I am trying to not freak out.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I'm sorry the end of the month didn't go well :( I hope the break at the beginning of August gets your feet going back in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chaitali :) I am hopeful I won't need long!
      I'll be okay though, I just want to feel better.

      Delete
  3. Sorry your feet are acting up! But I think it's a really good idea to experiment with what your limits are. At least now you know and can use the information from this month to avoid injury in the future. Hopefully your feet start to feel better and hopefully for both of our sakes the weather gets a little better this month (but who are we kidding. Better weather? In AUGUST? LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry it is the same old story for you to read even after a month off!! I promise you, I am sick of posting about it!
      AUGUST LOL it'll be tough!
      I do feel trying to be very regimented and carefully increase each week helped me to find my limits, I was hoping for a little more, but that is life. I just want to run and feel better :) Glad you are back.

      Delete
  4. I have to say great job for testing things out. You could have shut things down and just accepted the diagnosis. But you are still fighting, and I admire that. Who cares about a bad run here and there, you're already accomplishing so much. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard :) I am trying to figure it all out and I appreciate the encouragement.
      I am determined to keep running some, maybe not long races, but weekly for sure!
      And who knows maybe one day I will move closer to some trails and be able to spend more running and hiking the mountains I love :) I can dream right. Keep trail running for me so I can live vicariously :)

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry that your feet just aren't cooperating. Have you ever considered branching out into tris? I'm sure someone must have already asked you that. Just throwing it out there. It would give your feet a break but still allow you to be VERY active!

    You still had an awfully good month, right up until the end there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped to get more out of feet, but I ran pretty happy until I started trying to spend two + hours on my feet, so that is not too bad. If i can run 5 or 6 miles before work and still get a reasonable weekend run in I would be okay.
      I have not thought about TRIS really. I would need some serious swim help. I can stay above water and do aerobic classes but can't do any real strokes- no clue! The Y has sessions (2 weeks) that are $90 I may give it a try in Sept.
      Thanks, Judy it was a pretty good month! I feel good about my efforts.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry the end of your month ended sucky BUT you are still figuring it out. Do you think if it weren't for that 11 miler all would be good???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11 seemed to be a turning point where the tissue started getting more tender. I will probably try to crack double digits again later this month and see what happens, but if it causes the same type of trouble I need to bag the distance.
      I am not sure how long to take off right now, I just don't want it to keep getting worse. My feet hurt all day yesterday after I ran - I just need to chill and not make it worse.

      Delete
  7. Ugh that is so frustrating. I am also dealing with foot problems and I feel like I have to be so careful and rest as soon as it starts to flare up again. I hope you feel better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa :)
      It is a pain when the nagging issue keeps popping up, I hope I can manage it better in the future. I hope you can find a path to happy running again soon as well!

      Delete
  8. I think you had a great month. More miles than me. In hindsight, the double digit run may have been a mistake but who knew.

    I think if you baby your feet (I know the feeling), you'll be fine. It may mean no double digit runs but you can still finish a half.

    Remember finishing = winning. You'll still get a medal.

    Hope the pain lets up so you can still run. Remember baby steps. I want you there in Dec!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene :) I will remember that, finishing = winning.
      Double digits are hard on me for sure, but I will probably try again lol just to see...
      I will be there in Dec. no matter what! I may have to walk to finish but I will finish :)

      Delete
  9. I hope you're able to run as much as you want to without any pain very soon! I understand about the humidity - it makes exercising so much harder, but in a few months, we'll catch a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina :)
      I can not wait to feel some cooler air! I have always been a fan of winter.

      Delete
  10. I feel you! I am so tired of dealing with foot issues. I'm slowly easing back into running, but it seems that I reach a point of critical mass and my PF flares again. This time around I've lost so much fitness and it's hard to even run 4 miles. Or maybe that's the humidity. :p Anyways, I hope to be in half marathon shape by December..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I felt back in June, I was so weak I was struggling to run just a few miles, it is annoying.
      I have finally got a little endurance back and here I sit again, waiting to run.
      I hope you can past this soon.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness - you ran 87 miles in July!?!?!?!? Even in my best months when I am in tip-top shape, I struggle to log more than 70 miles per month. You are amazing! And I am glad you are listening to your body, which can be harder to do than most people realize. As always, I wish you the speediest of recoveries. BIG HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily :) I was surprised by my mileage since I can only run three days a week, but of course that seems just a little too high for my feet lol maybe 7 is more where I should land.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤