Saturday, September 17, 2016

Base Building

I am lying in bed watching My Cat From Hell trying to recover from a nasty bug. I have not been sick like this in a long time. I am feeling weak, but I can keep things down today, so hopefully the other symptoms will clear up soon. My legs have been the worst, a lot stabbing and shooting pains, my calves are still tender to the touch this a.m. 

I was sad this morning when I woke up, of course it was a nice morning for a run, but I was completely exhausted just from a shower, so no running today. I am feeling a little anxious I am getting so off schedule this week. The past few weeks have been tough, I was rolling along pretty well, but the past few weeks the pain in my feet really started increasing. I don't have that many weeks to go, but the demands increase greatly now. I feel like phase 2 isn't going as well as I hoped, but I am trying to relax and focus on what I have accomplished. 

I figured out during phase 1 trying to sneak a fourth run in wasn't really working for my feet, so three runs became my focus for the phase I am currently in. 

Phase 1 started back in June and this is how it went...


Base Building
WK 1 6 5 6 17
Actual 4 3.11 4.48 5 16.59
WK 2  6 5 6 17
Actual  5 6.23 4 15.23
WK 3 6 5 8 19
Actual  5 4.11 3 8.51 20.62
WK 4  6 5 8 19
Actual 6 5.5 8.69 20.19
WK 5 6 5 9 20
Actual  6 3.5 7 16.5
WK 6 6 5 9 20
Actual  8.26 5 1.2 9 23.46
WK 7 6 5 10 21
Actual  5 6.5 9 20.5
WK 8 6 5 11 22
Actual  5 6.5 1 11 23.5

I did have issues with the snooze button a few times and wouldn't have time to get all my miles in. A few runs were cut short due to foot pain, but overall, I really did feel stronger at the end of these eight weeks. These eight weeks built my confidence up after several months off running and gave me confidence to keep pushing on. 

How did you deal with sickness during a critical point in training? 
When was the last time you were so sick you couldn't get out of bed? 

12 comments:

  1. Ugh I am so sorry you were sick. It's the worst. I had a cold type sickness last week and while I did get out of bed for work I spent all my other hours laying in bed! When I miss training due to sickness I remind myself I didn't get where I am now in one week and I won't lose it all in one week either. Rest is a good thing especially for people like us who go go go. Sometimes our body is like... nope. You won't slow down yourself so I'm givinf b you no choice!! Hang in there and I hope you feel bettet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just how I felt this week! I thought I was planning on trying to push though this past week I had some pain increases in my feet. I probably needed the extra few days off but was unwilling to take them.
      I am sorrry you got sick already! It is hard at school not to pick stuff up :( Rest i the best though - I have been asleep more hours since Thursday than I've been awake!
      I am determined to get back on track soon :) I hope I can do it.

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I'm so sorry that you've been feeling under the weather.

    You know what? I may be one of the only runners who feels this way, but I don't really feel bad when I have to stop running when I'm sick. It's a sign that the body REALLY needs rest, and I know by taking it easy I'll get back out there much sooner. You will be back on your feel in no time, and while you're waiting to get back out there watch lots of My Cat From Hell and maybe even Pitbulls and Paroles? I love that show, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina :) I think I felt anxious but inside I know my feet are happy for additional rest. I am not sure if I am biting off more than I chew but I have a feeling the next few weeks will make or break me.
      I am so addicted to the cat show now lol I have not seen P&P - I need to watch! I have watched the Alaska vet lady and enjoyed her too lol I think today could be classified as binge watching with snoring in between lol

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. It always puts a damper on things when you are in the middle of a training cycle. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being sick is not fun, especially when all you can think about is that you just want to run! Hope you are feeling better. Take the time to heal, it will be better in the long run! Looks like your base building went really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am impatient LoL I tried today, but it was so hot, I didn't do so well. This bug had bad timing, but there isn't a good time to be sick ever.
      Thank you, I felt really good about base building!

      Delete
  5. Sounds awful! I hope by this morning the calf pain is gone. I'm not a good sick person at all, so I feel you. I know I don't have to tell you to ease back into running. Sending healing vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My legs stopped hurting last night so I guess it was a hydration thing. I tried to get back out today, but it was really too hot :(

      Delete
  6. I hope you are starting to feel better. No one likes to be sick or injured and not be able to do what we normally do. Last February out of the total blue I got a really terrible sinus infection. I was in bed for 4 days and missed 5 days of working out. I was mostly concerned about missing my weight training because when you only run a few miles per session, missing a week is not a huge deal. But I remember telling my lifting partner I was going to be so weak and lose so much muscle. But you just come back slowly and within a week you are basically back on track. Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt better last night. I tried to be optimistic today and go slow.
      The last time I was sick enough to miss a bunch of work outs was 2013. It is very annoying! You are right with lifting, I always feel like it goes away so fast.
      I have found coming back from respiratory stuff to be a bit harder than this bug - at least whatever this was didn't have super lingering impact. Once everything was out of my system I felt better, just weak.
      Doesn't it always hit fast?! ugh...

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤