Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My 225


A few months ago my heart rate monitor died, I think I sweated it to death...literally. Ewwwww (•~•)


I enjoyed wearing the Mio Link heart rate monitor on my wrist and not having a strap around me, I was sad when it died!! I put my strap back on for a few workouts and thought, nah!! I ordered the Garmin 225 which has Mio HRM technology built in. I love Garmin Connect, so I wanted to stick with it.
Garmin 225

I have really enjoyed some of the features the 225 offers, my 110 didn't have.
Note: You may have seen folks sporting customized home screens on their Garmin. The Forerunner 225 does not posses that option.

Loves:
  • Syncs with my phone blue-tooth - I don't have to use a charger to upload my data.
  • Cadence  data - very cool to see
  • I like the options are handy in case I ever need to switch over to intervals during a run.
  • Training zone data - a big eye opener! Started me on my mission to get out of the red zone, which helped me survive this summer...and one of the coolest things...
  • Workouts can be programmed into the watch - I really love this feature.


A few things I have programmed into my watch are listed below.




I still use my gym boss timer frequently for 4 x 1 intervals so my splits are in normal mile format, but I do find it interesting and useful to see what paces I am walking and running when I use intervals,. Here is what a breakdown from 3 x 1 intervals looks like:

a sample of 3 x 1

I think 1/4 end of mile pick ups may be my favorite. It gives me a chance to ease back into a little speed work without killing myself. I programmed in a one mile warm up. Mile two starts the picks ups at the end of each mile. I like being able to see what my effort was in each segment.



This is a great way to do speedwork on the street. I will never be super consistent since some picks ups happen on the uphill, and some on the downhill, but that is part of the fun.

The great thing with any customized work out, the screen of my Garmin lights up and tells me whether I am in run or recovery mode and gives me a countdown before each segment with a few beeps. No thinking, just follow the beeps!

I am so technology spoiled, I really can't imagine running without it!


Tell me what you tracking device you run with! 
What is your favorite feature your device offers? 
Have you created your own workouts?

28 comments:

  1. I just got a 230 and I'm still figuring it out! But it is a huge upgrade from my 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me while to figure this one out! I am sure you will love the 230 :)

      Delete
  2. I adore my 225! And yes, it was delightful upgrade from our old 110.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it too! It was a good upgrade. I still miss my 110 for the size and I loved the gray and the pink lol

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a great watch! I was thinking about upgrading mine because I really want something with the built in heart rate functionality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the heart monitor built in is what sold me! It really is nice not wearing a strap or another device.

      Delete
  4. I always love these posts. i'm so intrigued by all the new gadgets out there & want to find the perfect fit for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many options I got overwhelmed when I started looking at upgrading! This was a good pick for me, it really has helped my training ;)

      Delete
  5. I really like how you name all your runs!

    I have the Garmin 230, it was a Christmas gift. I like the interval features, it makes it so much easier than to keep staring at my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I may run out of names soon lol
      The 230 is a very nice gift! It is nice how much easier it makes training :)

      Delete
  6. I still have the dinosaur big Garmin 205. But I don't do intervals or any drills so it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed at your sweated it to death, LOL
    I rarely run with a device anymore unless I am going for a long run and just wanting to make sure I got the mileage in. For that I have the old Garmin Forerunner, so far I haven't sweated it to death, LOL but probably will one of these days:)
    Although, I do own a fitbit and clip it to my bra so technically I guess I do have a tracker, but I don't really use it for running just steps to kick my sisters but each day, LOL
    I like your idea about customizing your workouts with it. I think those ones that you hear people with in the races that beep that annoying constant beep for each of their footsteps to keep on pace, would be great for training. (not races, LOL) it would be fun to use one like that also to create training plans and paces for different days of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You brave gal - out there running naked lol it's good you can not worry about it! I had a 110 for a long time I loved :)
      I am not sure if mine will do actual pacing like that. My beeps are fairly soft though! There is vibration with it too so hopefully my interval beeps aren't annoying!!!!
      I have sweated a few things to death - mainly headphones;)

      Delete
  8. Are you sure it is not the Garmin 235? Because that is one of the reasons I got it. Because I was told that the 225 did not have HR capabilities. I am loving my Garmin 235 with the smart notifications. I was even able to set it up so it would beep if I am going under or above the pace I want during my run. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 235 is a little more expensive - the 225 does have heart rate capability built in :) that's the reason I purchased it. The 220 model is just a GPS - I love all the training advantages some of the newer models can give you :)

      Delete
  9. I have been thinking about getting a new garmin but the one feature my hrm strap does that the watches don't is measures vertical oscillation (the up and down motion when running). Its not really a big deal to give it up but its kind of nice to know how efficient my running is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh very interesting- my guess that feature will show up in a newest model if it hasn't already.

      Delete
  10. I got the Mac Daddy Garmin 920XT when I decided to get into tri. It amazes me and I know I've barely brushed the surface of all that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great review! I am really wanting to get a new Garmin that tracks all my workouts (run, swim, cycle) and also my HR. Right now I have the forerunner + a Garmin swim. What I love about this watch is that you can program in your workouts. I do Galloway method and I am always curious how fast I run vs. how fast I walk (I mean, it really doesn't matter but I always wonder). I can kind of see it on the graphs that show up in Garmin connect but this is really cool and much, much better. I love seeing all the data and I think seeing HR would be excellent. I am focusing on staying in my zone more but having the watch tell me would be much easier than just going by how I feel. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan :) I have found seeing my breakdown when I am doing intervals has really helped me. It helped me running the half last weekend because i knew how fast I needed to be running to stay on my goal pace. I have enjoyed seeing my paces as I try different times...I think you would really enjoy being able to see your paces.
      The heart rate data was very useful to me in summer especially :) Staying in that lower zone really conserved energy and made of easier recovery. I have really enjoyed being able to program in what I want.
      I think the Fenix does it all but it is pricey! I am not sure about the 235 as far as swimming.

      Delete
  12. Wow that watch does a ton of stuff. I use the Garmin 220. I love data but the nicest thing is Bluetooth sync to my phone. I use to have to plug my watch into the computer each time I wanted to sync my data. I know how lazy right lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to plug in my old watch in too! LOL It is nice when I away from home, like at my last few halfs I could upload and look right there :) Garmin has a lot of great products :)

      Delete
  13. Okay, this looks like a great watch! I am still using my Nike+ and I know at some point it will die and I'll need to upgrade, so I'll keep this in mind. It's cool that you can program all those workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to customize your work outs is a great perk :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of changing my watch and everyone seems to recommend Garmin. I have the Nike+ which I do love, but when I see what yours does, I am blown away.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤