Sunday, October 23, 2016

Run Richmond


I am linking up with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin 
Join in! ㋡ Check out the etiquette here   Thanks for stopping by! 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Here goes!
  • Robyn who has run the Richmond Marathon a few times, invited me to the training team's 20. It is the first 20 of the marathon course.
  • My run buddy has been training with the team and I asked her if she wanted to ride with me.
  • We were released in waves based on projected finish time.
  • Robyn was super encouraging this would be good for me, a real rehearsal run!
  • The route is complicated. I had anxiety about running downtown in traffic, and about getting lost! I do not know the city at all. I was so worried when I started my intervals I wouldn't be able to keep up with the group.





























  • I had so much anxiety I didn't sleep well.
  • It has been hot and humid all week, and then it rained Friday and the temp dropped overnight. It got super windy. Wind gusts in the 20 mile an hour range aren't the norm here, so I fretted about what to wear. Normally, I would have worn tank and shorts in 55 degrees, but the wind made it feel colder.
  • I took a light long sleeve with me, a tank top, and capris..LOL I wore shorts downtown and made last minute decision to put on my capris.


















  • We were bunched up the first few miles so, I stuck with run buddy and her friend.




  • After the crowd thinned out, and I was even more nervous about getting lost.  I decided to not do my intervals, I just kept running. All those turns on the route overwhelmed me!

  • Urban running...we had to stop at cross streets and lights and I started thinking the break standing still for a moment may be enough for my feet. We also had six water stops the training team set up and we planned to take our time at them for a minute or two. SO I ran....

  • I ate sport beans (two packs) early and I am glad I did. My tummy wasn't so good later in the run.

  • I was okay until somewhere around mile 15. I got a cramp in my stomach, that lasted a few miles. My feet started hurting. I started walking a little, but managed to keep run buddy in sight. There were just a few other people near us.
  • I started feeling nauseous from the pain in my tootsies a few miles later, I stopped and just stood still a while. It calmed my foot and I caught up to them again.
  • I felt blank the last several miles. I couldn't really form a good thought, say a mantra, or hear my music because traffic is so loud, it drowns everything out. I was so nervous over the pain, I went as easy as I could.
  • After I stopped moving for about three minutes, and tried to stretch a little, the crampy tummy and nausea feeling went POOOF! Just gone.  I felt great other then my aching feet. Why can't it just go POOF when you are still running??????
  • The last few miles were tough!  I did have to walk a little, but I was too close to give up, and I finished. 
  • I stared at my splits several times! It is a such a long list when there are twenty...mind blowing. Never in my wildest dreams, even a few months ago did I really believe I'd ever see that!!



























  • I used intervals to train so I could save my feet, but my dream was RUN the RACE!  At first, I was upset with myself I had not waited until the race to try to run. My plan was to save the real pushing for race day because I knew it would be risky since my feet are so fragile. However, as I've thought about it more, I am glad I tried it during training. I am just praying I recover okay. I do know running flat out will not give me the best race day experience. That is too many miles to deal with pain and fear of injury.  There is no way I could have covered six more miles feeling like that.
  • I am 99.9% sure I am going to interval the race.  I think it will give me the best chance for a strong finish and it will be so much easier on race day with a marked course!
  • I ran for 3:53:22 - my moving time was 3:43:20 - even with that much break time I was hobbling at the end. I now think it is crazy to run for that long LOL just saying...
  • I feel really proud I did it! I was excited to see my watch beep 20!
  • My shower stung soooooooo bad! I missed a spot on my back with the sports stick, or just sweated it off...I don't now, but it really hurt. 
  • The weather for this run was pretty darn amazing, even though TWICE on the Lee Bridge the wind blew my visor off! It was like the cartoons the first time. The wind carried it quite a ways back! I had to run back and retrieve it LOL
  • I lost my visor again near the stadium on the last mile. Luckily, there was a break in traffic, so I still have my visor :)

  • I am so thankful Robyn encouraged me to do this.  I learned some valuable info, and feel so much more prepared for the race!  I look forward to the shady miles near the James River and the views as I run to run across the bridge...and the finish line!
  • I'll be back to later to share  how my recovery went. Tell me what is happening in your world! 


43 comments:

  1. Congratulations Karen! So happy this is all working out for you. I can't wait to hear when you rock Richmond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again Karen! That 20 is HUGE and so much to be proud of. Race day will be better. Your body will remember what to do and adrenaline and sheer will will carry you the remaining 10k. There won't be traffic, and hopefully less wind. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcia!! I sure hope it is less windy lol but I'll take it over heat :) I am getting excited.

      Delete
  3. Great job! That 20 was your dress rehearsal. You're ready for the big show.

    BTW, I've run races where my feet hurt so bad I couldn't walk after, and I've run some where my feet didn't hurt at all. You'll just have to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! That pain was tough, it was doing a number on me. I sure hope it is under better control by race day...I am thinking lower mileage, it should calm down!

      Delete
  4. YES!!! Congrats on 20 Karen!!! Girl, you are going to run a marathon in a couple weeks. :) Your dream is coming true because all of the hard work you put into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU did it!!! COngrats!!! And, yes, you are smart to run intervals on race day because that's how you trained. I would be a nervous freak with all those traffic turns (on paper)...did they have any signs set up along the route with arrows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! No we were supposed to carry the route with us LOL a lot have been running downtown and know the way I guess!!! But not me lol so I ran. I am feeling excited now for the race

      Delete
  6. Wow - congratulations! I agree that 4 hours is a crazy amount of time to run, but it's what runners do! I hope your feet are feeling better now. It will be nicer on race day when you aren't stressed about the course and traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Coco :) yes, I feel like the race will be easier! which makes me excited :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your longest run EVER! That's amazing. Think.about.it. OK - Here's the thing. You don't have to stick to whatever you decide. You have the right to change your mind! If things aren't going well, make adjustments. If you feel great, push harder. Take comfort in the fact that you are in control. Funny you mentioned the mantras -- I get so zoned out I can't think of any. I'm so excited for you and know you are going to have an amazing experience. Thanks for linking, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! i will try to keep all that in mind. I feel like I will be okay problem solving race day as long as it isn't hot! I hope i don't have to battle that element, that is the worst one for me. I feel good I was able to get through all the discomfort for this one, it made me more confident.
      I know! I may have to write a mantra on my arm LOL

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your 20 miles. Even when it got a little tough, you continued on and did not quit. I always feel much more confident after completing that 20 miler before the big race. Enjoy your taper now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! It was a boost for my confidence for sure :)

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your 20 mile long run! It's such a great feeling when you complete that amount of miles, and definitely a confidence booster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, i started to feel ready after thought about all I had pushed through!

      Delete
  10. Congrats. You are amazing! Intervals are fine. It is still considered running. And you will be able to finish! No doubt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene :) I think if I go that route I will have less pain and enjoy the whole thing!

      Delete
  11. Wow,this was such a great end to my weekend. Such a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard :) It felt to get it done. I feel I can handle the race now.

      Delete
  12. WAY TO GO! What an incredible accomplishment! Enjoy your taper and get excited about the big day! I wish I could be there to spectate/cheer for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Oh I wish so tooooo! I won't have anyone on the course, but it makes me feel good to know you are excited for me :)

      Delete
  13. Awesome job and you SHOULD absolutely be proud!I am sending healing vibes to those tootsies -- they deserve it. It must give you some peace of mind at least having run the first 20 mile of the course.

    I know it will hurt, but my guess is the accomplishment will far outweigh the pain. Go Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! After I really had time to let it sink in, I realized it will feel so much easier race day as far as the course goes, so i am feeling excited.
      I think - I hope - my pain level be much more manageable to interval the whole thing. It was good for me to run 20 miles though! I now know for sure intervals build just as much endurance as regualr running :)

      Delete
  14. You did a great job on your 20 miler! I have my first 20 miler this weekend and I'm nervous but excited! It had to be great to be surrounded by other runners for support. Looks like the intervals are working great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to run the actual course. I got to see where i will have shade, where i won't LOL
      This was the only long run I did not interval and endurance i felt fine, but to have an enjoyable race I will use intervals to keep my feet from hurting. I don't want to feel nausea on race day, I want to enjoy it!

      Delete
  15. Way to go on that 20 miler! It sounds like a great idea to run it on the actual course and have it supported with water stops, plus a bunch of other runners. I hope your feet recover well. It makes sense to do the race with intervals if it's going to result in a better experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry about the chafing and foot pain, but glad you got it done! Eating early is good. Maybe you could switch to drinking later in the race to keep from feeling blank. A little fuel helps me with that on long runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess stuff happens, you can't make it perfect for all the miles lol
      I expected my feet to be an issue so that was no surprise.
      I drank two tablets of Nuun and refilled with powerade. I am still trying to decided how much and what to cary for the race! I feel like the Nuun agrees with me better but the race supplies blue powerade.

      Delete
  17. Way to go on the 20 miles!! It is so cool that you got to see the marathon route! that way there will not be any surprises!

    You are almost there!! YOu got this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! yes, i am convinced now race day will seem much easier!
      I think I can- I think i can....

      Delete
  18. Ahh look at you lady 20 freaking miles!! Oh you have go this! The race is done!!! Ok ok lets not get ahead of ourself but what a confidence booster!
    Chaffing is for real isn't it. You think your fine until the water hits! eeeek!
    I'd so stick to the intervals too! I love the picture at the end holding up both hands with your buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, 20 felt so crazy LOL It was tough, but I do feel so much more optimistic now!
      Oh that chafing was bad lol
      Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  19. I ran 8 this past week as part of my marathon training and it took me a little less than 2 hours. My mind immediately flashed forward to running 16-18 in a few months and realizing exactly how long it would take me! Oh man, I definitely need lots of planning in order to run that long!

    Great job! I went to school in Richmond, and ran the half a few years ago and loved it. Have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! I trained in summer heat so my long runs were really at the slowest pace possible...it took me 3 and 3 1/2 hours to do those longer runs. It does some planning! I have run the half the past few years too :) I love the course!

      Delete
  20. Definitely an awesome fun if you learned something valuable that will help you have a good race! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your 20!!! Please do your run/walk intervals for the race if that is how you trained! You train how you are going to race! :) And, did you eat 200 calories (two sports bean packs) total for 20 miles? Did you find anything you can eat that won't bug your stomach? That feeling of being blank at the end is bonking from being low on energy! I hope you can figure that out before the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim!! I will do intervals for race, I don't want to deal with that much pain again, it made me nervous.
      I couldn't not have eaten anything even if I had it that day, I was feeling too nauseous. I may do Honey Stinger chews for the race- they seemed easier to chew - less flavor. I will carry more!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤