Saturday, November 5, 2016

How I decided to run a marathon…


Logo

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals for the Weekly Wrap!

Join in with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin  

Just a quick hello from Dallas! I am trying to make my way home as you read this! 




Saturday is the big day!! 

I wanted to achieve the marathon milestone by my 50th birthday, however, health issues kept holding me back. I tried two years in a row to map out a training plan for a spring marathon, but it was not meant to be. 

Last March, my target marathon came and went, while I was still recovering from my plantar plate tear, barely running at all.
I knew August was coming and the 50th birthday would happen.  I assumed a marathon was not a realistic goal in my future.  It nagged at me though; I kept thinking I need to do this. 

As I healed and became aware my feet were never going to 100% again, it nagged at me even more. I kept thinking if I wait until I am 55 or 60 who knows what challenges I might face.  It seemed the time was right now.

I chatted with Robyn and she helped me work out a basic plan based on what the marathon training team here does, and convinced me the hometown race was the way to go.
Sleeping in your own bed, a short commute, saving $$ ... except I had to train through summer LOL

a very early draft

I wrote in a paper calendar month by month, and stared at it, tweaked it, and stared at it for DAYS!!
Thinking...there is no way. 
That voice in my head said no over and over. 
You can't handle summer heat
You can't handle getting up early enough to get the miles before work
You can't handle the long runs and not get injured 
blah, blah, blah...

I eventually broke the training down even further.  Base building  for eight weeks and training for sixteen weeks... somehow that made it easier.

One week at time, one run at a time, check them off and just seee...
Don't worry about the hurdles until you approach them. I really did not enjoy summer at all, but I managed to suck it up and get my runs done, and I never got heat sick, which for me was a big win! 


I figured I wouldn't get through base building. 

I did a post about base building here

Basically I got through 8 weeks, had some issues, learned some things, and got back into double digit runs. Once I got though I was determined to keep going.

So, I started checking off training runs. 

In the early weeks, I was having a lot of pain issues and I kept missing miles. Finally by week 5 things started clicking a little better. It is not the " bad"  foot that plagues me, it is actually the other foot now.
I went through 12 weeks of training not really believing I would get the end of it! I kind of pictured myself hobbling over a finish line at best.

Finally in October, I woke up early one morning and realized even with all pain in my foot, I was getting better at managing it and I was going to do this.  I was going to run a marathon, I most certainly had trained enough, and I just felt content that I could do it.  I started seeing myself finishing strong :) Best feeling ever.

Now I am just days away from completing my dream...
I hope I have that dream day to share with you soon, but no matter the outcome, I am going to fight to the finish!

Thank you for all the encouragement, support, and thoughtful advice. I value the time you take to interact with me each week! I feel blessed to have shared my journey with such wonderful blogging buddies! ❤  

Prayers are welcome if you feel led  
I need all the good mojo I can get!! 

Karen 


45 comments:

  1. You are almost there!! It will be amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! The start (and finish!) line awaits! Best of luck and enjoy every minute of every mile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am going to do my best to stay in happy mode :)

      Delete
  3. I am so excited for you! It sounds like you've had a long journey to this point but you've done all the hard work and this is the victory lap. I hope it's a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt in my mind you are going to finish this thing. You are way more mentally prepared and overcame so much more than I was for my races. I'm so excited for you to achieve this goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard!! I hope I am prepared. I feel like I pushed through some tough training runs, let's hope I can make this one a good one!

      Delete
  5. I am so proud of you for all the hard work you've put in.
    I've always heard that marathons are just the final victory lap of your training. Enjoy those 26.2 miles. i will most definitely lift a prayer for you & will be cheering you on from afar!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rebecca Jo :) That is everyone tells me, this is just the victory lap! Still the longest run yet though LOL

      Delete
  6. You got this, Karen!! So excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so exciting Karen. The pain sucks but your determination will carry you through the finish line. Looking forward to your race recap. May the course be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got this. I have no doubts. Can't wait to read the recap.

    Maybe it'll motivate me to try one.... NAH! Never!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could be there to cheer you on!!!!! YOU ARE RUNNING A MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish so toooooo! I am trying to get my mind into happy mode right now :)

      Delete
  10. IT'S ALMOST GO TIME! I am so excited for you, proud of you and ... omg! Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. I cannot wait to hear all about the day you became a marathoner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement :) I am excited to share the day with you even from afar! I keep telling my legs it is almost go time lol

      Delete
  11. Oh, prayers happily sent! I have no doubt you will do it. I have no doubt it will be painful, but I'm hoping those "I'm doing a freakin' marathon endorphins" will carry you through!

    You have got this & you have also got to be one of the most determined ladies I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers are always appreciated :)
      I am counting on those endorphins!! Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Hmmm, you almost make me believe it possible to tackle this distance myself! I have issues with my feet that I have always believed would never allow me to complete a full marathon. Your training schedule intrigues me....I will check it out. Best of luck to you and I'm anxiously awaiting to read about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it!! I can send you my training sheet - I feel like I am well prepared. I really did have doubts in the beginning but now i feel pretty good....I sure hope I can say AFTER the race LOL
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. You got this, my friend. I am always here cheering you on and can't wait to see you SHINE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate the encouragement :) I am going to try to not let my nerves get the best of me!

      Delete
  14. Sending you all the good juju! You got it! Read this the night before :D http://suzlyfe.com/dear-first-time-marathoner-half-marathoner/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You trained & suffered through the summer heat. That alone will get you through the toughest parts of the marathon. I made sure I had a mantra ("I can do tough things") and used it when the going to tough. If I have one piece of advice (even if you didn't ask for it), ENJOY it. And don't worry about your time. Best feeling ever is just completing the 26+ miles. Keep your head high, stay positive, take lots of painkillers before, and know that we are all routing for you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always welcome advice :)
      I am going to do my best to turn off the expectations and just keep moving and smile. I am working on my mantras :)
      I appreciate the wonderful encouragement!

      Delete
  16. Achieving a dream you've had for so long is going to feel just amazing. You are READY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Boy, I hope this feels amazing LOL What will I do when it is done??? I am scratch that worry for now lol

      Delete
  17. I am excited for you. ENJOY the race. I know you can do it! I will be thinking of you this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can do so much more than you think! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've had an awesome training cycle and I am so excited for you. As you know, my first marathon was not the one I had planned. But, I relished every step of that thing after coming back from injury, really not even knowing if I could handle the distance. If you have any time goal, I would throw it out the window. LOL. Celebrate the day. Celebrate every single step. Yep -- there's my two cents. I can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for linking, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to let go of the time expectations...trying not to stress if I have to stop for a restroom and tell myself just have fun, I hope I can do it. I really do want to enjoy it! As soon as i pick the right clothes...UGH!!!

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. I hope you had a great day!! I had replied Run Tina Run!!!! I guess my comment was eaten and didn't post.

      Delete
  21. Good luck!! It was so interesting to read about how you got here. This was a big goal for you and you made it- now just run your victory lap! Cant wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa :) I am so tired right now I am delirious but it's done!!

      Delete
  22. How did I miss this? No matter...I'm over the moon for you! Good luck tomorrow! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤