Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Recovering

I have been recovering from my first full marathon on November 12th. 
http://moreclutterfromkaren.blogspot.com/2016/11/marathon-day.html

I expected to be sore, but I feel like I am recovering slow...

After the race, I took the slowest walk to my car EVER. Okay, more like shuffling.  I tried to bend over, touch my toes (ROTFL), and stretch for a minute before I sat in my car. Strange stuff was happening in my legs, and I was not close to my toes ¯\_()_/¯

I took the hottest shower ever when I arrived at home...I stayed in till there wasn't a drop of hot water left.   I felt chilled all evening. I do not usually struggle with being chilly unless I am digesting. My body temp was just off all day after the race.

I didn't have much appetite, but I did eat a good meal and a few bananas (bahahah) and then I just bundled up and was lazy. Bananas, if you read my last post, you know I needed them before the race!!
Anyway, I did some light housework but it didn't last long. My feet, both of them, swelled and were tender. As far as muscles, I had one spot on the outside of my right thigh that was super sore.  My iliotibial band in the upper area very close to my hip area. I was super stiff that evening. 


Sunday I remained sore and but i could go up and down the stairs okay. I really wanted to take a walk, but I ended up sleeping for a good bit of the afternoon, and we went to ❤ Garth Brooks Sunday night! He is so awesome :)


Monday it was raining :( I desperately wanted to take a walk, but it was too blah out.

Tuesday - zip. Just eating...ugh...(•~•)

Whew! At first I was okay being lazy, but lying around Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday had my mind on the decline! Big time! LOL My brain is a mess without exercise!

Wednesday I did our circuit  session at work  and then "ran" a mile. My legs ached. Too soon. 



It was also the first day I was ravenous, craving nuts, and just had to eat. No calorie counting that day! I've had a few  a bunch of those non-calorie counting days. I've tried to make healthy choices, but I slipped quite a bit since vacation (the week before the race). 

Wednesday and Thursday I rode my bike, but man did my tushie hurt by the second ride. I actually had to get off and walk my bike a bit.



I felt like I was fighting something off more than once throughout the week and Friday I woke up in full blown cold mode. Nice obnoxious sneezing…achy, burning cheeks, you know the whole shabang! and I still don't feel 100%. 

I think the race caught up to me. 

Friday, I just felt so sick I was a mess. I crave sweets and more food in general when I don't feel well, I have always been that way. I try to avoid sugar when I don't feel well, but it is weird that is the one time I really want it! 

Saturday I took medicine and went to the gym and got a decent light lifting session done. I felt great on the arc machine but didn't want to overdo it so I kept it short. I tried to stretch and realized how crazy tight my legs were even though they weren't hurting.


Sunday I finally got the walk I wanted! I was working the hills, I admit, after my first mile  I turned it into a progression walk LOL

I was trying to better each mile...seriously, it is a sickness. Why can't I just relax? LOL   I did try to run a few steps, like maybe 12 steps and could feel the fatigue and soreness rolling in both hamstrings...I decided I was not quite ready yet, and shut it down fast.  I don't want to push.
I came home and stretched for about 20 minutes and felt much better. I could feel this walk in my gluteus the next day! But in a good way.

I chilled Monday, really trying to ease back into activity...

So far the ache I felt in my left shin is lessening...I think it may have been part of the normal healing process (??) but it did feel unique to the muscles soreness I felt in my hammies and illotorial band. I guess time will tell...

So, I am 10 days without running so far! I am wondering how long it will take.  I have a half marathon to run on Dec. 3rd and I hoped to run one Nov. 27th...and I really thought that would be doable, but now I am just hoping I get to run a few steps.

How long will it take!!?? 

Oh well, I  plan on walking later today :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, holiday break, black Friday shopping, whatever it is you are doing! Tell me your plans!! 

Mucho love, 
Karen 

27 comments:

  1. That chill after a marathon is very normal, happens to me in nearly every race even if I am running a marathon in 90 degrees, just means you spent up a lot of you energy!
    But you did awesome, loved all your IG photos!
    So sorry about the cold, that is not fun. Hope you get over it soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy!! That chill was odd, I could not shake it. I wasn't expecting to feel like that.
      I am still trying to get rid of this crazy cold. Enjoy your holiday :)

      Delete
  2. I hope you are feeling better and more rested! How many half marathons do you want to do this year? I'm blown away!

    How awesome to see Garth Brooks in concert! did you have a good time? Did you get a shirt? I always have to get a shirt at concerts!

    In all honesty, it took me 2 weeks to get over random pains and exhaustion from the marathon. And 1 month to not feel like I was dying when I ran. But that could have been because I didn't plan my recovery very well. One thing I remember, is that I was starving hungry for a whole week. But you know me... always hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to run this time of year so I really want to squeeze in the last few races! My old body may not got for it.
      Garth was amazing! he is so talented and fun. I did not get any souvenirs...too broke after vacation lol I like to get soft t-shirts...
      That is good to know it took you a bit longer to feel normal. I have tried to eat healthy and be patient...I hope I can enjoy my upcoming races, I don't expect to be fast, I'll be happy as long as I don't get hurt.

      Delete
  3. I always find that the one day of recovery for each mile raced theory holds true for me! Give yourself the full 3 weeks before expecting to see your 'normal' paces. Congrats on the marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura :) I will try to relax about how things feel slow with the recovery.
      I am trying to be patient, I know in the long run it will be better for me.

      Delete
  4. I can't tell you having never run that far! And even though I almost always feel as thought I could run immediately after a half, I don't. I just respect my body and my age (and also feel as though I'm fighting something off -- boo!).

    I think your first one is often the toughest one to recover from, because your body really isn't used to it. I know my marathoner friends consider a half to be a training run so I think you'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cold is hanging on...boooo. Hopefully you won't end up sick.
      I have a feeling 13.1 will feel pretty long after not running for a few weeks lol I've done it before after no training and it reminds you how long a half really is!!

      Delete
  5. When I ran my first and only marathon, I got sick right afterwards, couldn't walk without hobbling for three days, and didn't run at all for at least four weeks afterwards. So I think you are doing amazing!!! BTW - in your circuit training pictures, is that a blue body that you are pulling!?!?!? LOL! Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a rough recovery! There is no doubt the distance is tough on the body. I am trying to take it easy-my body doesn't really miss running just my head lol
      My cold is relentless. It seems worse again this morning:(
      Yes! LOL the blue body is Dummy - we need to give him a nicer name. It's from the firefighting class - 150 lbs. I do not drag him well alone at all!

      Delete
  6. You make me laugh, Karen! I can tell you have a hard time relaxing and just going with the flow. I have NEVER run a half marathon so soon after a marathon. I don't even think I had the desire to run very much after my marathons but it is a good sign you have the desire to! I know it's easy to say, but *try* to relax and go with the floor. Be nice to your body. And eat! Recovery is different for everyone. I normally need lots of recovery. I know there are people who don't and they bounce back but that's not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my head that misses running lol not my legs :) I really don't think I'd run again for a long time if I wasn't thinking about my upcoming race. I do enjoy my walks.
      I've been eating for two or three... lol I am going to kick myself if I get the holiday munchies.

      Delete
    2. I don't bounce back easy either. Patience:) i am trying to breathe deep lol

      Delete
  7. Karen after a first marathon way more than any subsequent ones, your immune system along with everything else takes a major hit. I remember waking up in the middle of the night after my first one writhing in pain. Be very gentle with yourself. DOn't be surprised if your balance is off and everything is fragile for awhile. I made the mistake of trying to ramp up too soon and ended up out for 4 weeks injured. Your body just performed an amazing feat. Give it plenty of time to recover and regain strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel the immune system hit, I can not shake this cold.
      It sounds like a rough recovery from your first. I really wasn't sure what to expect. I told Holly my training for PCB will be walks lol it could feel like a long race lol
      I'll keep trying to be patient!

      Delete
  8. Hang in there - keep up the walking! It might take a while still. But your body will thank you for not pushing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walking does feel good and it almost clears my mind as much as running:)

      Delete
  9. Nov 27 and Dec3?? Are you nuts?? Only kidding. I don't relax either. But I am never run 26 miles. That's twice a half. So you'll be fine by Dec 3 if you rest!!!

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rate I am going though I won't have any runs until Dec 3rd lol I think I am going to skip the 27th but I am not a 100% decided.
      Running for almost 5 hours was a doozy lol it's taking a lot recover

      Delete
  10. You are a speedy walker!

    I think if you're going to run a half on dec 3rd then you should probably keep things super easy until then. I've read that people who do races so close together are better served by resting and recovering then trying to get in any long runs in between the races. Enjoy your relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really get cooking on a walk :) sometimes I just walk but I had a mission that day lol
      I am still undecided about Sunday...I may just chill until the 3rd :)

      Delete
  11. For my first marathon, I walked or run/walked every day, it was part of the Galloway plan. For 3 weeks. It was WAY TOO MUCh and I think it took me about 2 months to fully recover. The second time around, I just made sure I walked a bit each day, to get the blood flowing to the muscles but didn't push it. I haven't run much since, only once or twice a week. I really think it is important to let your body rest and recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like too much right after. I needed those few days of completely nothing. Walking helped me too, it sounds like your second one was all around a better experience for you :)

      Delete
  12. After my first marathon, I was not hungry at ALL for like...three days. I took a super hot shower after the race but my body temperature went back and forth, too. And I remember getting kind of sick. I think it's really normal - your body used a lot of adrenaline to keep you racing and then you were PSYCHED after the race, so now that your hormones are getting back to normal, feeling sluggish and kind of weird/off is very normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That body temp thing was odd! I relate to not being hungry, and then 3 days later boom! I am still not feeling recovered really and I guess if it was hard on someone your age then I shouldn't be surprised at 50 it is taking me a few weeks!

      Delete
  13. I get weird temp issues after really long runs and races sometimes. Not sure what it's all about, but I've been there too! Sounds like recovery is going well. It's mentally always a challenge to stay less active when often races are so motivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am recovering slowly. I feel better then I relapse lol I think my race this weekend will be a very slow one!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤