Monday, November 28, 2016

Still Recovering



Monday
Notta
Tuesday
Walking 4.5 mi
Run 2 mi
Stretching
Wednesday
Notta
Thursday
Walking 1 mi
Running 8 mi
Stretching
Friday
Interval run  5K
Walking 1 mi
Stretching
Saturday
Circuit workout 75 min.
Sunday
Walking 2 mi
Running 6 mi
Stretching


I am trying to get back to a regular routine now. It has been 16 days since I ran my first marathon as I post this, and recovery has been up and down for sure. I just feel off. I feel better one minute and then feel like a bus ran over me the next.  I am surprised by how fatigued my legs continue to be.
Sunday morning was a struggle bus of a run for sure, I actually ran 3 miles, walked a while, then ran 3 more.
I just have to ride it out and hope I feel normal again one day soon!
I feel better when I look at my happy race pictures. It also reminds me it was a long time run, and that I need patience. lol


In the meantime, my weight loss has quickly slipped away. I have already gained most of  what I lost for the race, back.
It is annoying yoyoing all the time, so I am going to try to rally and see if I can get back on track. This time of year is challenging!

I spent most of my adult years under 130 lbs. after gaining and losing a huge clump (45 lbs. or so) in my youth, and again after I had my son...like 75 lbs. worth...

The struggle started for real about age 45.

I have hit my goal weight (135) several times, but I only hang on to it for minutes, before the yo yo starts.   Eventually I just give up, eat when I am hungry, and I always end up back around 140 lbs. It doesn't seem to matter how much weight training, cardio or running, it is really all about diet for me.

Losing during this training cycle was a big challenge.

About 7 weeks into training I had been trying to eat healthier, add more veggies,  be more intentional about taking in protein after runs, etc…
But my scale was not budging. I was still topping out over 140 lbs.

As training progressed I really wanted to give myself the best chance for a strong performance and started eating more salad at lunch every day, but the scale still barely budged. 
Then the craziest thing happened!

I got food poisoning September 15th and wa lah! I ejected every bit of food and fluid in my system and I came out 4 lbs. lighter a few days later. I fully expected to gain every bit of that back as soon as I started eating and drinking, but I never really did. Which I thought was nuts!!
Maybe it was coincidental…that my weight loss finally kicked in around the same time.

I finally got right under my goal weight about a week before the race.

I do not pretend to understand input verses output and how my slow thyroid impacts the weight loss process but it is not easy, even with all the miles, I still had to stay under 1300 calories a day on a regular basis.

I felt awesome to accomplish my mission, but it didn't help my marathon performance at all...UGH! Oh. well. I felt great, for a short time anyway.

The week before the race we went on vacation, and while I still chose relativity healthy things, I let go of the really stringent numbers. It has only been a few weeks since the race and the scale is already climbing up...fast! 

It boggles my brain how fast I can gain. 

My motivation to stay on track has waned a few times. The holiday treats are already becoming a challenge.

Over the past week, I enjoyed reasonable portions of sweet potato casserole, peanut butter chocolate cake, I had a fudge cookie...yes, just one, and a few cocktails...and I want to be able to do that, but I also hate to throw away all my hard work. I am going to try to get back on track this week! Time for more salad...

Are the holidays hard for you to maintain your happy weight? 

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals for the Weekly Wrap!

Join in the fun! with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin  


34 comments:

  1. I so feel your pain. Once I hit 50 it seems like I can subsist on air. My calorie needs are next to nothing. We certainly know how to burn calories and how to build muscle, but I haven't found the balance yet either. Continue being kind to yourself. Marathons are beasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy right! I would think working out more would have allowed me to increase my budget a bit, and while it did just a smidge...it still was like you said...air. It is very hard, I have to get mentally motivated to tackle the challenge.
      We do work hard :)
      I am really surprised at how beat up I feel again today...the marathon was quite a beast!

      Delete
    2. it doesn't get any better at 60. LOL.

      We are healthy and active. That's the important thing. There are so many people who are not.

      Delete
    3. That scares me LOL
      SO true, I try to do as much as i can :) and i know you do too!

      Delete
  2. The holidays are definitely a difficult time to stay on the healthy eating wagon! It seems like there are always goodies in the office this time of year too. I hope your recovery continues well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Same here, treats everywhere! SO easy to grab when I'm hungry.

      Delete
  3. So many holiday parties and then this vacation makes it impossible to diet. Life is too short. I will starve myself in January :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you continue to recover!

    Losing weight it hard. My sister used Weight Watchers with great success, is that something you would consider using? Do you use any of the apps? I used to log in the food, they gave me a good overview of what I ate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      yes, back in the day I used weight watchers and it worked. I have basically stuck to that plan for years.
      I log on Lose it app and helps me to break down protein and fat percentages easier. I am usually too high in fat! That is why I go with salad for a meal and it helps.
      It is becoming much harder to lose weight as I age. I had hoped since i work out fairly hard it wouldn't be such an issue but that is not the case.

      Delete
  5. I hope you find a way to be happy with your body but still enjoy life and food without STRESSING about it. If I wanted to look *exactly* like I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to eat or drink some of the fun things I want to. So I'm just kind of like- eh- why do I need to look like my standard of "perfect" anyway? No one cares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, even if I lose weight I do not look exactly like I want, not even close. I had to give that a long time ago. Gravity is taking over and even as hard as I work I can't undo aging.
      Typically, I feel so much better at my goal weight, but it is stressful i have to stay so freaking low to maintain it. I anticipate in the near future I will rounder...lol it is inevitable.

      Delete
    2. OH yeah, even if I lose weight I still have zits on my face and hairy arms and dry hands. So I don't look perfect either hehe!

      Delete
    3. you kill me lol you are in your best decade looking ripped! Seriously.
      I do have issues but I promise I am not that stressed - you saw, I just had a bottle of wine lol

      Delete
  6. Holidays are definitely challenging for my happy weight. I have lost 7 pounds since mid August working with Amanda Tress. I would like to lose 3 to 4 more. So I signed up for another 6 week program, starting today. It will keep me focused through the holidays AND a lot of it is HIIT and weight training, which I can do during the winter, before starting to train in the new year. My body is enjoying the down time from running.

    It took me forever to recuperate from my first marathon because I was back at it too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great Karen! I feel like what I need to do to lose weight is too strict so I have hard maintaining it any time I lose.
      I guess I am trying too much, my body is rejecting what i am doing for sure, so this will be a light week.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you are recovering nicely and getting in some good runs! Good for you, Karen. I think you look great and I wouldn't get too consumed with the weight. If you build muscle, you will gain weight. When you do as much cardio as you do, you will gain weight as the body retains water w/ glycogen stores. Can you find another measure of success instead of the scale? Body fat %, measurements, a pair of jeans that fit snug that you can see if you can work back into fitting more loosely? Hang in there, friend. I think you look perfect just how you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am going to try to get back to lifting a little heavier again, my shoulders kept giving me issues so I backed off for awhile. I don't mind gaining if i can wear my dress pants, that is what I kind of use to gauge my progress. Last week they felt great, this week they are tight. I am such a middle gainer, I carry it mostly in my tummy. It flips fast!
      You know my Doc checks my body fat % and I am barely in the healthy range, I am still after all this work pretty high %, which gets discouraging. I really don't know what else I can do. Except never indulge ...lol and that won't happen, I think I am leaning toward letting go and just being round.

      Delete
  8. Karen, for me, in perimenopause, pretty much no matter what I did I was stuck around where you were. The weight actually came off once I went through menopause (at least I think I'm through it). Weird, huh? And there's no saying it won't come back on! But perimenopause was much harder on me.

    Just keep eating healthy, because it's so important. I usually do gain weight in the winter, but it usually comes back off in the spring/summer.

    I have to always be very mindful of what I eat. Naturally thin people (and I have never been one) just don't really understand that struggle. My best advice? Like running, just keep trying! Persistence is key. It's why I plan to weigh in Thursday morning -- I probably won't be able to stay for my meeting, but I need that accountability! Unless I haven't gotten my act together and am not completely packed. And since I haven't really started ...

    26.2 miles is a LOT of miles. Especially that first one! You'll get back to normal, just give yourself time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good you were able to lose through the process of menopause. The Doc had hoped it feel easier for me since I am got through the process last year...but so far I seem to be stuck in the same rut for about 6 year snow.
      I do enjoy healthy food, so I feel like I eat fairly well most days, but I have moments for sure lol
      I have never not had to work at it either, I was a very overweight kid. I envy the folks who can enjoy their treats and not wrestle.
      My body is taking its time so I guess this will be a super light for me. I still am not feeling much better.

      Delete
  9. I have a question...even though your weight is not where you want it to be, how are your clothes fitting? My weight pretty much maintained itself through this recent marathon cycle, but my clothes are fitting looser. Is it possible you could have gained some muscle? The scale does not pay any attention to what you look/feel like LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel like everything was looser while I was training! It really has started to change this week, everything is getting snug again lol

      Delete
  10. I do very well through the holidays. Once they are over *BOOM*. I'm the vacuum that cleans up the leftover cake, homemade candy, chocolate chip pecan pie, Watergate salad... Try to be patient, although I know it's hard. You asked a lot out of your body. Maybe it just needs to recover on it's own schedule? See you in a few days. EEK!!! Thanks for linking, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was aching again last night so I have decided to give up this week, I guess it'll be a light week and I hope I feel good for the half!
      I need to pack tonight! I am excited.

      Delete
  11. I've done pretty well with my weight over the years but this past year has thrown me for a loop. Clearly, I'm in the throes of the dreaded menopause. My belly pooches like I'm pregnant. I have to run, if for no other reason than to keep the weight off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My belly has always been an issue since i was a kid, but mine pooches a lot faster now than it used too. It is hard to believe sometimes with all the hard we put in!

      Delete
  12. Recovery is a process. Every time it's a little different for me, but the most important thing is just to keep listening to your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to be patient, I have given up this week...I will wait until later this week to try any impact. My body is doing its own thing for sure lol

      Delete
  13. I'm avoiding the scale at ALL COSTS right now. Especially after Thanksgiving weekend!!!!
    Its SOOO hard when you hit your 40's... heck, its always been hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you, it has always been hard! I am really feeling it the last five years or so...

      Delete
  14. Oh the perils of the female body! I am dealing with the same issues...no matter what I do, I just can't seem to get back to where I was a year and a half ago. Menopause is killing me...just killing me! I sure hope things even back out once my body has completely traversed this crazy phase of life! Have fun this weekend with the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am excited to get to the beach :)
      I feel your pain, it does become increasingly challenging...seems unfair LOL

      Delete
  15. You may be on to something about your weight loss hurting your marathon. My coach said it's actually good to go into the race up a few pounds because you retain more water & carbs that way. Well, I was up for the marathon, and that didn't help me! I am still up and feel like I've gained even more. But I'm at the point where it's so bad that I know losing is a must, not an option. Yay for trying to do it this month, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really felt great as the weight came off, and I did allow myself almost two weeks of eating whatever, nothing crazy, but not budgeted so I had some fuel in me. It didn't seem to help me at all, in the end my legs were still fatigued from training.
      Trying to reign it in this month is proving to be a huge challenge! Already!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤