Thursday, December 15, 2016

Tacky Light Run 2016

I admit I'm a bit of a Grinch about the holidays, but the Tacky Light Run is one of the rare things I have done several times. The atmosphere in the neighborhood is so festive, and I am dazzled by the elaborate light displays. I ran this on December 10th. The start time is 6 p.m.  It was nippy ;)

One year it poured rain, I mean like blinding rain, a few years ago it was nippy but nothing like this year! Last year when I ran this it was almost 70 degrees....we kind of had summer that just wouldn't go away last year.

It was about 28 degrees  for this one and the crazy thing is the humidity is so non-existent in VA right now it feels even colder.
I went with my old Navy leggings, and they kept me very toasty. I had a cuddle dud shirt under my Mickey T.

My hat was last year's swag :) 


This route goes through a neighborhood called Walton Park. Every year more and more houses decorate and it seems more and more families hang out and cheer. The streets are lined with kids wanting to high five everyone. ✋✋ Lots of houses pipe very loud Christmas music and there is always a DJ, I am not sure if it a neighborhood person or actually part of the run LOL but he is always there cheering runners along.






I always try to get to get close to the front because this is a fun run and there tons of kids that run it with their school classes, and families. The groups are big for this and there are a billion strollers.

This year everyone was packed tightly in the start shoot so I couldn't get up as far as I wanted. When Santa said go I had to just trot along and do some dodging until I got to a thinned out space.
The speaker was loud


I started back a bit farther than I hoped! 


I enjoyed the decorations and told myself to take it easy, there isn't even a clock!  LOL
About a half mile in, I got in my own space. I had some faster runners around me and I tried to keep up with one in particular...he had bells all over him. A running elf that sounded like a symbol 😄

Mile one went fast, and I decided to use the crowd momentum to push my pace. It has been so long since I have been able to run and sustain anything "fast" for me, it felt good to be at panting pace.
I was panting and high fiving as many kids as I could.💚

This neighborhood has a few big hills, two of them are about 45-50 feet up. It was strenuous for me to hold my pace going uphill, a lady asked me if I was okay during mile two going up a big one. I must have been breathing too heavy. I laughed, I knew I was huffing but I told her I was determined to hold my pace. I went from - I just want to have fun, to being competitive with myself. ¯\_()_/¯


At the mile 3 sign I felt soooooo tired but I was determined to make myself go. I kept running and high fiving! I was passing houses so fast, I couldn't take it all in.  I was planning to do a second loop like I did last year, so I could go easy around the course and look at all the displays...

A lot walkers just stroll the course, so the course was still packed when I finished.

I love the finish area, Santa waits to high five ya!


I receive my medal and drank the small bottle of powerade they gave everyone at the finish.

The medal is actually an ornament and I love the hat! 

It took about 7 seconds after I stopped running to feel how cold it was. I felt fine running, I even had to take off my gloves I got so warm, but I went from warm to icicle-like fast.

The course was a little long this year so I ran 3.9 miles :) I also ran a mile warm up before the event, so it was a pretty good workout night. It felt good to get some speedier miles in - it has been a really long time since I have seen anything close to this pace on my watch.


My legs were torn up the next day LOL 

I toyed with going back into the neighborhood for a second loop, but decided to call it a night. I had a fun run, and I didn't want to get sick, so I booked it back to my car with a mission of a hot shower :)


I did not know these girls, I just thought they looked adorable so I took their pic lol
A lot of people come decked out, it is fun to see all the outfits!




This event always gets my Christmas love flowing a bit every year! 

Did you do a fun holiday run this year? 
Become competitive with yourself even when it is supposed to be "fun"? 

30 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! And now I'm having hat envy! We got the most disappointing tees for our holiday run -- I would have loved a hat!

    I was running veeeery slowly with my friend, chatting, until the last mile. Where I just picked it up & ran (it's downhill to the finish). And I actually ran a mile or so with no walking, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my #holottafun group could run this with me! It is a very well organized event and I do love the hats. They are very warm :)
      I love a good downhill finish :) Always motivating!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a really fun time! I didn't do my usual holiday run this year as it was the same weekend as my race in Baltimore. I might just have to find a neighborhood with fun lights to run through on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so fun and festive! I'm kind of a scrooge this time of year too. Every year I vow to start earlier with the planning so I can enjoy things, but it never happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is awesome and you did a great job! I try to map out my runs based who has the best lights so I would be in heaven doing this run. Super cool and what a perfect way to get into the holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea :) The houses on my normal routes are not super decorated, maybe i need to drive a new neighborhood on break and run :)

      Delete
  5. That looks like a blast, Karen!!!!! I want to come down and run it with you next year! It sounds like my kind of race. ;) We could drink wine afterwards and solve all the world's problems and make out with your cats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a night run person but I would be all over this. This looks like tons of fun . the outfits look awesome. Overall just a rally fun event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I carried my knuckle lights this year and everyone wanted to run with me because it was easy to see :) I forgot to mention that in my recap lol going to read your post soon - promise!!!

      Delete
  7. This looks like such a great race!! and the hat and medal are super awesome! I'm all sorts of jealous over here!

    I need a holiday race, but it's likely not going to happen! next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana! The hat is really fun swag, I use it a bunch :)

      Delete
  8. How fun! The holiday lights runs are great I did one last year. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK - I am LOVING this. I bet it is so fun to run at night with the lights.
    I think its awesome more houses are getting involved. That could build up to the one cool event in the future.
    I am totally digging that hat too - SUPER CUTE!
    & who doesnt want to high five santa at the end of a race?!?!?! SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This run has become so much fun! It is really cool the neighborhood gets into it.
      Santa is nice to hang out during this busy time of year lol

      Delete
  10. What a great event!I love that it's not timed...everyone can kind of do their own thing ;-) AND, the hat! Oh gosh, how adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bunch of fun!
      The hat is some of the best swag I get all year!

      Delete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only holiday Grinch in the blog-world. I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't really care much for Christmas. This run does seem fun, and the lights would be a great distraction! During shorter races, I often go from "just wanting to have fun" to feeling competitive against myself! It's funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short runs are good to test your limits! If i tried to run that fast any longer I'd croak LOL
      I am not a huge fan of all the hustle and bustle and pressure for presents....etc. but I do the pretty lights, I think the decorations are fun!

      Delete
  12. That is SO fun! And I love the hat and that you got a medal. Crazy how the weather has been so different every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! That hat is good swag :)
      The weather continues to go from one extreme to another here!

      Delete
  13. Sounds like fun ! I think running covered in bells though would have driven me nuts, even if it is a short distance. LOL !
    Your feet doing OK ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bells were so funny! This event is so loud it was hard to hear them sometimes, but it did make for a good running rhythm lol
      My feet have not really changed much, I am okay with shorter runs but I think I will need intervals for anything long. My left foot has improved a bit but my right one continues to make a lot of noise.

      Delete
  14. This looks so fun! And, I love the hats. :-)

    I ran a PJ 5k back in Nov that runs through a pretty cool light display. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much fun! It looks like you've had a fun and productive year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤