Monday, January 16, 2017

Chasing Unicorns


This is kinda of a runfession, weekly wrap up, training recap (bahaa), public service message post! I know I won't get to post until next week so I am cramming it all into one!

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals Holly  and Tricia 


Share your adventures and join the link up with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin  

9
Walked to Kasey's - 0.86 mi 0:17:13
Snow walking - 3.37 mi 1:03:11
10
5 minute plank challenge - 0:05:11
11
Warm Up - 0.36 mi 0:05:25
Five in Shorts - 5.50 mi 0:55:51
Chesterfield Walking - 1.25 mi 0:27:19
One More - 1.00 mi 0:09:49
Stretching and Planks - 0:14:32
12
Walking - 0.75 mi 0:12:37
Run Buddy 5K - 3.11 mi 0:31:52
Walking - 0.70 mi 0:15:25
I'm Late - 0.20 mi 0:01:54
5 Minute Plank - 0:05:14
13
Three With No T - 3.01 mi 0:31:07
Stretching -0:04:51
14
Home Dumbbell Workout - 1:04:02
15
Warm Up - 0.41 mi 0:06:25
Steadfast Seven - 7.01 mi 1:11:34
Walking - 0.59 mi 0:09:23
Wind Motivation - 0.90 mi 0:08:49
Planking/Stretching -0:12:15
I experienced it all last week! 

Snow to summer and massive full moons ⛄🌞🌕


A whopping 20 miles of running ♥

Week ending November 27th was the last time I logged close to 20, with 19 miles in a week. I realized that week something was really off and stayed low mileage through December with stretches of a week at a time of rest.

The first week of January I logged 15 miles, and I think every mile has felt challenging but glimmers of normalcy are creeping in. You know those wonderful effortless feeling runs where you feel in the zone?!  I haven't had one yet 😅 but I have had a few minutes on each run where I actually stop huffing and puffing and feel like I could go longer...than reality hits lol but that is okay, it is a work in progress. One thing for sure, I won't get a big head from running, it keeps me humble. 

Snowmageddon  Monday there was nothing to do expect walk to run buddies house and talk and walk a little more :) 
Monday night I had just started in on a nice glass of wine and I saw a plank challenge from Kim and Tricia on Instagram.  This is why you shouldn't drink and look at Instagram kids! You may get crazy ideas.  I had to plank 5 minutes everyday this week  LOL


Tuesday when I wanted to be lazy I had to plank five minutes!
Wednesday it looked like this but it all melted in a few hours.


Wednesday was so warm...as soon as I got off work I put on my shorts and ran! It was such a nice sight to see all the slippery stuff melt away. I had fresh legs from four days off running and was excited for the warmth. I was headed right for the rainbow. I did get super tired trying to push a little on this run, but I was happy. These paces feel very challenging to me right now, my breathing was a mess, and I got a killer side stitch and I still felt like I had floated towards clouds when this one was done. 
10:11, 9:59, 10:05, 10:38, 10:08 and a half mile @ 9:37

                                                                    Snow all gone
Check it out...blogger picture fail LOL 



Thursday full on summer weather hit. I texted run buddy to run with me after work, you can't miss these kind of days in January. 70 degrees when it is not a bit humid is pretty amazing, if only summer could feel like this. Neither of us had much time so we decided on a 5K.  I runfess I was sad when I heard my watch beep at mile 3 - I didn't want it to end so fast! The first two miles I was huffing and puffing, and my right foot (toe two in particular) was screaming, but I found my groove on the last mile and started riding the rainbow lol The mood boost was huge! 
10:33, 10:23, 9:57  .11 @8:46
We were hot though!


Friday it was still warm, my legs were soooooo tired, and my toe was still sore, but I said why not. I put on shorts and sports bra and didn't even bother with a shirt, it is dark, who cares? LOL
A run before work by an awesome full moon! Shiny objects distract me, I couldn't stop staring at it. 10:12, 11:01, 9:51
My legs felt shot, I am not use to running three days in a row, but I was whistling in the shower :) I know the day is coming where I  am going to ride the unicorn!





















Saturday I was worn out and I was going to call it a rest day but about 9 p.m. I decided I needed some weight work and knocked out my home dumbbell workout and broke in my new push up helper and of course I planked. I think planking everyday is contributing to my sore toes but I am determined to fulfill my commitment until Monday. I swear I am not drinking wine Monday and taking on any new challenges lol



Here is another runfession, I have lingering paranoia about injury in my legs, I am afraid I'll never be over it. I have felt the slightest pinch in my left shin just a few times this week and I keep wondering if my legs are really okay now, or if I should rest for another extended period just for good measure.
My stress fracture was January 2015 but the sensations in that spot have never gone completely away.
I also remembered that planking and push ups for a very long time aggravated my tibia bone, I had to tuck my leg for a long time so it wouldn't throb for several months, after I spent 6 weeks off in a boot. The problem is I need to tuck my left shin and my right toes are so sore I can't put all my weight on that foot LOL  yes, for REAL.

Anyhoo...I am going to run my 15K this week and then I will decide if I need a little more time off running. 

Sunday was long run day and I slept late! This is a bonus of winter, not snowmageddon days, but the average winter day rocks.  I went out and planned to do 6, but decided while on the move to squeeze out one more mile. It took me three miles of talking to myself to just keep moving and then I finally started to have those moments...the good ones. The zone out, my feet would finally turn over without mental effort, I could breathe...my last few miles things flipped and I was on a little runners high for sure.

10:08, 10:36, 10:25, 10:05, 10:20, 10:14, 9:42




While my running is improving, it has not been easy for sure. My breathing is still a bit ragged and my heart rate is sailing on runs, but I feel like I am thisclose to actually feeling strong on a run and having it all under control. I've had some good moments, now I just need to start stringing miles together like that. 
Hopefully you'll see me waving from my unicorn soon  :)  Hope you have a great week!

Did you see the ginormous moon last week?
Had a good runner's high lately? Been in the zone? Tell me about it!
Been though the process of coming back and feeling like running is all uphill?
Drink wine and look at Instagram? (warning...could be hazardous LOL)
Have a summer day at your house in January? 

49 comments:

  1. We did get all the weather last week! I know how you feel about your leg - I still worry about pain on the top of my foot after my break. Have you had a sports massage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big weather variety for sure lol
      I have had a sports massage but it has been over a year, at the time she did spend a lot of time working on my feet and calves where she felt knots. I wish I could go more often.
      Maybe we will always worry a little...

      Delete
  2. We have had crazy weather too. No snow but 15 degrees one day and 50 the next. No runners high. Just getting it in the miles. Did run a 10k but it was just a fun one.

    Wine and instagram. Why not? I haven't planked yet. Maybe I need to add wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a kick out of your plank post! LOL I will not drink wine and look at Instagram anymore.

      Delete
  3. I am so ready for shorts weather! We are warming a bit and may be over the artic weather for a bit...hopefully for the winter. Planking kills me... mostly because I find it boring and then I get distracted and I have a hard time doing planking challenges.. great job with yours last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a break from the zero stuff!
      I pick a song on my phone and play it while I plank, it helps. I do like to challenge my self but i have a rough time doing anything everyday...it is so not me lol

      Delete
  4. So glad I don't have running/exercise challenges pop up on my instagram lol. My beer and challenges would not go over well. I think the lingering twinges is all mental. I still have them to this day. Each time I get a small twinge in my knee or foot my mind goes off the rails. You know your body and know how to care for it. Train smart and you will be fine.

    Runs have been great. Can you feel like death and be on a running high at the same time lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard when an ache pops up - the first thing my mind does is worry about 6 or 8 weeks off. UGH!
      I am convinced wine make me think I am a super hero lol
      Yes, I do feel close to death and still feel amazing sometimes after I am done lol it is weird!! Congrats on your awesome race!

      Delete
  5. Yes! All of the above! As I'm finally beginning to get back into regular running, I'm wondering if I will ever get back to "good running" again. It sure doesn't take long to lose it but feels like an eternity finding it!

    We're having crazy weather here too, that moon was incredible! and I, too, drink wine while scrolling through IG ...but I tend to comment on things I shouldn't rather than take on painful challenges! :)

    Have a great week Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you got that right, it does feel like it takes an eternity to find it! I keep telling my self it'll show up soon.
      hahaha, wine comments can be dangerous too! Been there ;)

      Delete
  6. This weather has been so crazy lately. I don't get how it could snow last weekend and 70s here this week. I would take that over snow any day. Can't go wrong with a glass of wine when it's that cold out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am over snow now lol I had my fill! Wine is good anytime I know I don't have to run the next day lol

      Delete
  7. I saw the huge moon over the ocean in Mexico this weekend, partying at a friends beach wedding. Doesn't get much better than that!

    I'm in the same place of you running-wise right now, and I can say, I know how you feel. I am doing all my runs at a slow easy pace to re-build my aerobic base, so running never feels hard, but these slow paces are humbling. Even though I'm choosing to run slow, I haven't consistently run at these paces as a beginner and it feels weird. That and my attempt to build a routine has been interrupted by sickness and vacation, and it is getting a little frustrating. If I had more of a base built up, it wouldn't be a big deal but since I don't, every time I have to take a few days off it's like starting all over again.

    So, I get it, but hang in there. I keep telling myself to think of this summer/fall, when I'll be in great shape, and no doubt I'll look back on January and be proud of my patience and how far I've come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I bet the huge moon looked even better in Mexico!
      I can not even hit paces I was running as fairly new runner, it is so weird. What I am running right now use to be "easy paced" for me, but no more. I am just trying to roll with it and see where I land for now. Trying to rebuild is hard but I want to get to the other side so I am not giving up :)

      Delete
  8. That's a drastic change! Snow and shorts on one week! Planking for 5 minutes - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've had unseasonably warm days, here and there, but definitely not summer weather. But no snowmaggedon, either!

    Sunday's run felt pretty good, almost in the zone -- and today was totally the struggle bus. I think I'm more in the zone when I'm in a group, even if I'm alone in a group! Although I wasn't alone today, either.

    I think that's just how it goes -- you can't have the good without the bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know all about the struggle bus, I keep trying to hop off lol
      I want the zone to show up - this week during the race would be nice!

      Delete
  10. I have definitely been known to drink wine and scroll through Instagram, but clearly I need to stop before I get dragged into plank challenges!

    I ran 7 on Saturday - and like you, the first few miles were pretty meh, kind of tough, but after that I got into my groove and just sailed the last 4 with no problem.

    We had a 60+ degree day, but it POURED RAIN, so no outside run for me. I squeezed in a walk during lunch, but that was all she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware of any challenges once you drink wine LOL
      It feels so good when things start clicking!
      That is not fair it rained on your warm day :(

      Delete
  11. Ha Ha HA...thanks for joining the planking party ;-) Question...are you wearing shoes when you plank? It's much easier on your toes if you're wearing shoes (or even carpet slippers). Also, try resting the tops of your feet on a foam roller while planking...it takes the strain off your toes and adds another "balance" element ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! I tried shoes today but that is a different kind of discomfort. I do not have a foam roller at home, I have a roller. I will have to try that at the gym. I am thinking the Bosu may help.
      I think if I do it every other day it would be okay :)

      Delete
  12. The drastic changes in weather make getting adjusted to running again SO hard!! One day I'll feel awesome and the next I can barely keep my heart rate under control. I'm glad your runs are improving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to adjust to anything with all the sub zero and warm days in such a short span, but I still think I am making progress so I feel okay with it all.
      Your cold spell was pretty short down there, no?

      Delete
  13. I feel the same way about nice days in winter--you just have to get out and enjoy them! I'm there with you on not feeling really strong in runs yet. I am still struggling with faster runs, but I'm enjoying my slow, easy runs and just hoping the speed comes in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself there is really only about 3 months left and then it will be full on humid again so I don't want to miss this with time off right now!
      The speed should come eventually :) Sooner rather later would be nice.

      Delete
  14. The moon and even the angle of the sun have been amazing lately. Such gorgeous light...when it is not obscured by cloud cover. Running has been so hard for me lately. I'm extremely slow and out of shape no thanks to this hamstring that is still twingy. Cannot believe you melted all that snow already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't fair how fast the endurance goes when it comes to running! It seems to take a lot longer to get it back than lose it.
      SO far no snow in my forecast and I am not sad LOL

      Delete
  15. How CRAZY that one day last week it snowed heavily and then by the end of the week you were running in shorts and a sports bra! I don't know if I could handle swings in the weather like that - it would drive me nuts. I don't love that it's hot nearly 24/7 but at least it's consistent so I always know what to expect! :D

    Hahah I love that you were riding the rainbow! I have decided that it always takes me 2-2.5 miles to feel properly warmed up when I am doing run/walk which makes those 3 mile runs I sometimes do very frustrating! If I just start riding the rainbow at 2.5 it's hard to stop at 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is true! In summer I know what to expect - humid misery lol I am never sure this time of year LOL
      Maybe I am just taking longer to find my groove too. It is funny, I got so used to running long 6 and 8 miles runs while training that 3 still feels crazy short lol

      Delete
  16. Wow, Karen, excellent week for running! Colorado weather (especially in the spring) can we up and down. I have seen us have 60 degree weather and then a huge storm comes in and dumpes a few FEET, and then the next day the sun comes out and we are back to warm! It's kind of fun. I did see that moon--one of the benefits of running before dawn. I loved it! I love those runs where everything clicks. I had one today which means tomorrow will probably knock me back down on my ass, right?! Whenever I have to take a running break I always tell Rick "I don't mind the break as much as dreading the comeback". It's hard to say the least! Keep up the great work, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Spring sounds like it is now. i am never sure what to expect lol
      The stars early in the morning are so pretty! There are perks to waking up early :)
      You are so right about the comeback! Why does it have to feel so hard lol

      Delete
  17. We sure had some crazy weather last week! I have paranoia about my knee... so I can kind of relate to your stress fracture worry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it never goes all the away once you have been through that experience.

      Delete
  18. The moon has been so beautiful lately! And the weather... nuts. We were in a crazy cold streak and now we're enjoying +30F and that has been glorious. "Heat wave"!!!!!

    Keep up your running and planking! Ride that unicorn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 as a heat wave lol that is kind of sad, that is too cold!
      I am trying to catch my unicorn!

      Delete
  19. Don't wine and instagram!! funny!! my friend is doing this Yoga camp/ challenge and sent me the invite 2 days before, I took one look at it, a sip of my margarita and didnt' give it a second thought.... however, if it would have been a zumba challenge, I would have been all over that!

    I hope your toes are feeling better! what does your doctor say about your pains? I understand the fear of the pains, and as long as you know your body and when to give it rest and care, you will be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on maintenance now with my foot Doc, so I won't go in unless I break another pair of orthotics or have a big increase in pain.
      I will always have pain, even with all the rest my feet still are very tender under the ball of foot and toes. The minute I am active the shooting pains start up again, so I probably need to not run a lot of back back to days and let them rest in between.

      Delete
  20. I can't believe you went from snow to shorts in one week!

    I understand about having paranoia on injury. I'm a lot more cautious after being injured as I don't want to have to stop running again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy right lol
      I have been through a few long breaks, it is not fun! I guess we never get all the way over it.

      Delete
  21. LOL! Wine + Instagram could be very dangerous.

    So glad to hear that you are getting some glimmerings of good runs. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my tip LOL
      I just want a few strong months before the heat and humidity return!

      Delete
  22. That is the cutest jumping picture! I'm sitting here right now a little concerned with my feet after Disney. I think it is something a previously injured runner does. Worries. A lot. If you are still having issues -- please go to the doc and rule out a serious problem. I'll hold your hand (virtually)! Because, you know -- we've got things to do and places to go and races to run... Thanks for linking, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks! I tried a few times before I figured out I shouldn't face the camera lol
      I am on the search for a new Doc now just in case.
      I have plans I 'd like to get rolling on, but I am not feeling secure enough yet for sure.

      Delete
  23. That's definitely some fun weather, on the plus side you can't really get bored with it when it changes its mind so much temp wise, LOL
    As I was getting over my work injury I did like you for a while and would think every little thing was the injury coming back. Eventually you'll be able to let it all go and your mind will start remembering normal pains from pains to worry about. It's tough though to get to that point, kinda a mental game in a way.
    Good to know that your injury is healing though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True LOL I never know what the heck to put on!
      That is it- I am not sure what is "normal" aches and pains and what may be potential trouble when I feel anything in that area, it messes with my head for sure.
      I did do something to the tissue or bone in my shin, whether it was a stress reaction, or a strain in the muscle...idk. I could tell it did improve with rest, but now I worry it may have needed just a few more weeks! UGH LOL

      Delete
  24. Oh wow, that is crazy weather! We didn't get that warm, but all of our snow has melted (in Ohio) and it's supposed to hit 50's this weekend. I'm not even sure how to dress for that anymore since I'm used to layering up for 20 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤