Monday, May 15, 2017

In A Nutshell

What I've been doing since my last blog!

https://hohoruns.blogspot.com/p/weekly-wrap.html
      This link was created to support active women. 
        Click HERE to see complete rules.

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals Holly  and Tricia  Share your adventures and join the link up with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin  


I cannot believe I haven't blogged since January. I never thought I would go away that long, but life happens...

Here is the condensed version of catch up from January! Ummmm, I am still trying to figure out my 'new year" goals LOL I made need to just wing it at this point, huh?!

January feels soooo long ago!

It was December before I finally acknowledged to myself  I was injured again...stupid left calf...I took time off throughout November, December, and January trying to heal. I took off some long stretches, but I also ran some, so yep, I probably delayed healing some, but I didn't miss out on planned events and I did eventually heal. I don't advocate this, I am just being honest. I couldn't emotionally deal with being out completely.

January I was struggling with how I felt on runs big time. I gained a few pounds, and I just felt so weak. It was odd, usually in the winter I run happy and strong! I was puzzled, but I wrote it off as lack of consistency.

February was tortuous! This was the biggest loss of fitness feeling I ever experienced. I felt weak run after run, I began to wonder what else was wrong; but I would have a fun run every so often and it would keep me going. I spent all of February wanting to work on pace and incorporate speed workouts, but it was taking everything I had just to make my body go, survival running was all I had!

February 26th I ran the Sentara Colonial Half at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA

It was a tough run. Very hilly and I was coming into it with no long runs the whole month and this incredible weak feeling.  I  thought when I signed up for this race months before, it may be my shot to run a super strong race but it didn't work out that way. I just barely held on and finished.
2:20:12 and I was exhausted when it was over.

It ticked me off I felt so out of shape, and I was determined to get back to regular training in hopes of some good races before summer.

March I started doing track workouts and regular training miles. I was starting to finally feel better on the shorter runs and see some progress with my pace! However, I still struggled with the weakness on long runs and hills.  Even though I bailed on most of my long runs because I felt so weak, I ran 103 miles in March, hoping to make some noise in April and run a few fast races, but I still wasn't feeling 100%.

April 
The 1st weekend of April I ran the Monument Ave 10K  ~ it was hot that day! I ran a 58:39 and it was hard fought. I felt rough most of the run. I was thrilled to meet my B goal and sub 60 a 10K (it had been a long time!) but I missed my A goal of a PR. I had a lot of issues after this race...a huge blister, very sore feet and toes, I was bummed it took so much out of me.
Robyn and me :) 

I met up with Meagan and it lifted my spirits after Monument Ave
The second weekend in April, I decided I had trained better than my Monument Ave time, so I hauled my rear to Urbanna, VA to run another 10K. 
I pulled off a PR 56:53 and felt content!

I missed another chance to do a long run that weekend, but I was glad I did it. I considered doing a slow long run the next day, but hahahahahah...my legs were shot. 


After this race I decided to finally deal with an issue my eye doctor had been giving me a hard time about the past few years...my blood pressure. I've been getting high readings for quite awhile, and an increase in busted blood vessels and spots behind my eyes. He had a come to Jesus meeting with me. I told him my family doctor kind of excused the issue each time I mentioned his concern and he said... time to see a new Doc. I did, and ended up in Cardiologists office within a few days.
To make a long story short, I had lots of tests: a few EKG's, a CT scan of my heart, an echo cardiogram, all kinds of blood tests...and while I do have an enlarged heart, particularly in the left chamber, from untreated high blood pressure, I do not have any blockages. The Cardiologists said he wanted me to cut out my coffee, and keep exercising :) I am on two new medications and I am happy to report minimal side effects and a huge positive impact on my blood pressure :) My poor 'ol heart was working too hard for too long.
The Cardiologist said it was possible I might start to feel stronger once I adjusted to the medication, but so far distance runs have remained a challenge. I feel pretty weak.

I finished April with two half marathons. I was so sad my races ended up being in very hot humid conditions.  Spring in VA can be a toss up with weather, but usually we have some decent mornings...not so much this year. 

April 22nd  I ran Petersburg Half marathon in 2:22:17- it was all about survival in the elements.

April 29th, it was hot again and I ran Park to Park Half Marathon 2:20:34


One goal I did set for myself for 2017, run 6 half marathons. I have a good chance of completing that mission! I've already checked off three...not the way I hoped, but they are done, and maybe one of these days I will get around to writing some race recaps to share my experiences.

Another goal was to make something fabulous happen at age 50. Many of you know, I did train an finish my first marathon at age 50, and now I have set a 10K PR!!

How are you doing on 2017 goals? 
Tell about a goal you set for yourself so I can cheer for you :) 

33 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you back!!! Of course, we've been in touch all along. Keep on moving, that's what I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thankful for your support :) I am trying to work my way back!

      Delete
  2. She's baaack! I feel for you on the hot & humid races. I've had my share of them & they totally suck. I'm really glad you got your high BP treated, though -- they don't call it the silent killer for nothing.

    It runs in my family & Mr. Judy's -- but running has been really good for me in that dept (Mr. Judy is on meds).

    I just decided to sometimes push myself out of my comfort zone this year -- hence another hot & humid race for me (but a PR!), a trail half, and now one at elevation (which is kind of scary, too).

    But 6 halfs is probably just too much for me! 3 in 3 months and all the other stuff going on in my life is taking it out of me & I'm ready to dial it back down after this next race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't have let the BP go for so long...but I had so much other crap going on..at least it is better now. My Dad never got out of his 40's, I really should have known better.
      It is amazing how much energy a half takes lol I feel ya on trying to keep up with life and run races.
      It is good to try new things :) You are doing amazing!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back! I only just came back to blogging myself last week so I totally understand that sometimes life gets in the way!
    I've loved following you on IG though, you have been running some fun races!
    I did not know you were 50, you look amazing for your age! Seriously I thought 38 ish :) Great job on the PR, you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soooooo sweet! If I don't touch up my hair it is easy to see my age in person lol my wrinkles don't show in pictures as easy.
      I hope school is going well for you.
      I had so much going on I just needed to simplify for a spell.
      I love all your IG posts, you share beautiful pics! I do get bugged how IG sometimes shows the timeline out of order now, but it is a great way to stay in touch.

      Delete
    2. Oh I hate how IG does the timeline out of order too. Before it was so much easier just to go through and catch everyones stuff, now its hard because it doesn't always show me everyones posts.
      But thank you, I do love to take pictures, its been something I have been working on to get better at!

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you are back! I've also been following you on IG and seen all the fun races you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It felt great to read some blogs today, I have been popping in and reading but have not been consistent.
      I had fun running races in April for sure!!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! But of course I follow you on FB... and ONCE in awhile I get on IG but it is just not my thing. I am glad you are on meds that help your BP. I had high blood pressure at the doctor so I cut out added salt... except on the rim of my margaritas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I suuuuuckkkkk at FB. I confess I hardly open it. I do duplicate my posts to FB sometimes but I am not faithful in checking it.
      haha, I am still having salt on my rims too ;) I have cut caffeine and salt quite a bit though! I missed you.

      Delete
  6. I am so glad that you went to see a new DR. You do not want to mess around with that cardiac stuff. (spoken like a true Dr's daughter over here) Nice to see you back blogging too.Look forward to staying in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, I should have been more diligent about the BP, but I am on a good path now. I have been thankful I could KIT on IG and see your fun!

      Delete
  7. I love how you say you cut back on running in March, but still ran 100+ miles. LOL. I haven't seen that kind of monthly mileage in FOREVER! Congrats on your 10k PR, too. :)

    That's scary about your blood pressure, but glad that your doc says to keep up with the exercise. Hoping you get your energy and strength back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that does sound silly saying I cut back LOL but I did it in all short runs LOL
      I am not sure what to expect about feeling stronger again, I have high hopes...but for now, I keep riding the bus!

      Delete
  8. Yay!!!! Glad you're back! I kept thinking I was missing your posts (because I tend to get so behind at times)...whew! I'm glad I didn't miss any action ;-) Well, my goal is to PR at Grandma's (which isn't really that grandiose...certainly not a BQ anyways), but I'm hoping to run it strong and NOT have any fueling/injury/weather issues ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful at Grandma's! It is a huge event and you have been putting in the work!! Thinking good thoughts for you.

      Delete
  9. You've been busy while you were gone! I mean I've seen all of these updates on Instagram but seeing them all here in one post really puts it into perspective. IMO you've been having a crazy good year! Three halfs and a 10K PR! I would take that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a lot going on here so I feel good about what I did accomplish! I have been trying to keep up with everyone, but it's hard...I hope to start catching more posts now :)

      Delete
  10. I keep checking your blog and couldn't believe you hadn't posted since January either! You are such a trooper to push through these half marathons despite feeling lousy. Why don't you cut yourself a break and play to your strengths? From the track workouts you post on IG I can see that you're a fast twitch kind of girl. If that's what you enjoy and where you're strongest, why not make that your focus while your health issues are being sorted out? Running is wonderful and badass at any distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia, I am tossing that idea around about just cutting back. Maybe after this year it will be time. It is quite a hard balance between challenging myself and pushing and feeling disappointed. I don't feel very strong in the fast twitch area, but I did really enjoy working at it :)

      Delete
  11. As I know I've said before, you're way too hard on yourself. Your disappointed finish times would be amazing for many runners. Any time you cross that finish line, you should be proud of yourself. Esp if you felt lousy. And you even had a 10K PR and ran over 100 miles in March. You rock.

    Hope you continue to blog. I've missed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene :) It isn't really about the time, but it is a big change that takes adjustment...I keep trying to set aside expectations and roll with what comes, but sometimes it is hard.
      I have missed blogging but I just wasn't in a good place...
      I have missed reading about everyone's adventures!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hope you are blogging again! Be by soon :)

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad you're back! Quite a journey you have had over the past months but it has to feel great to be back and running again. Keep it up - you can totally rock that 10k PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hope I can hang in there and keep up with the blogs. I hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  14. Welcome back, Karen! We missed you on the WW! I'm glad the medications are working and I think you'll regain that strength after a period of time. It could be you are feeling weak simply due to the humidity now anyway. (I do!) Way to rock that 10k PR! I ran a 10k the same day and you whipped my tail but good. I hope I'll be at one or two of your other planned half marathons! It's time for more #holottafun! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad to be back to catch up a bit ;)
      The humidity isn't helping me for sure!
      Ha, that will be the last time I run a 10K that fast lol I know you can whoop that when you train regularly.
      I hope so, I am hoping I have a few more halfs in me...but sometimes I really feel close to be being done with longer distances for awhile.

      Delete
  15. So good to read this update. I've been worried I just missed your posts! You look great (and much younger) for being 50! I'm 43 and have been nothing I need more recovery than I did even a few months ago. I guess that's a sign of getting older? Congrats on your 10k PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer I would have never guessed you are 43! You look amazing! I thought you were in your 30's
      Thank you, but I truly feel 50 lol I have aged a lot this past year. I do try to keep my fitness game going even though I wasn't blogging.
      A PR felt very good! I hope to be back to reading and blogging more again!

      Delete
    2. Oh and yes, my recovery needs have been increasing... it is better to go with it!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤