Saturday, May 27, 2017

May Runfessions

It is Runfession time and boy do I need this!


















 I am linking up with Marcia's Runfessions to get this stuff off my chest 💞

May has been challenging.

I trained pretty well in March and April and I was feeling pretty strong on shorter runs, but May has felt like a setback. I unintentionally hopped on the struggle bus and the driver won't stop to let me off. My legs just want to walk.  I like to hit the button on my Garmin and go until I hit the desired mileage, but lately I find myself praying for a car to be coming when I cross a street, so I have a reason to stand still for a second! JUST a second...hahaha, a few times a second turned into 20 or 30 seconds, three or four times during a run 😜 I have no idea what is going on, but I am trying to  nip it in theeeee budd.


I am still feeling super weak on hills! Some mornings I can barely make myself gooooo. I runfess, I had hoped once I got my blood pressure under control and adjusted to my meds I would be zooming uphill once again, but it just isn't feeling easier.
After a few months of solid training aren't you supposed to feel stronger?! I just feel weak...it is annoying.
My next half has 1230 feet of elevation again LOL 😏 I have no delusions of running a speedy half marathon next month.

My streak of obnoxious race photo is going strong this year.

This was from the Petersburg Half I wrote about in my last post. How do I always managed to be captured looking CRAY - cray!?


How about this beauty!? This was towards the end of  a hilly half marathon I ran in February. I had a rough day, I was so over hills...I remember looking down, so I could not see the next one coming. The thought of any more uphill put me in overload! LOL I did not need this moment captured.























For the life of me, I can not take a decent race pic!

At my PR 10K in April I wasn't even in the pics. I also did not make the cut at Park to Park Half marathon...Argh...

At the Monument Ave 10K I was captured in heat misery...my decision to not wear a visor was killing me...terrible sun glare.























At least a photographer grabbed me at the finish line, but I still wasn't buying one, because every other pic looks like the one on the left! and marathonfoto is expensive. Maybe one day I will get an actual event pic that is good lol

And lastly, my motivation to get out and move this month had nothing to do with fitness goals. The desire to enjoy a few cake pops a week has been the driving motivation to get out and run.

What is motivating you lately?! 
What do you need to get off your chest this month?!

Keep on rocking!! 
Karen 


22 comments:

  1. If I don't see the photographers, it can definitely be ugly. But that finish line one of you is great!

    This month has seem very slooooow (running-wise) to me, but I had a strong week this week. You just never know when things will turn around! I hope they do soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often see photographers but they never seem to be snapping pics LOL I saw several at my last half but I did not get in any photos.
      It can flip anytime for sure, but I suspect from here on out it is going to be tough...it is very warm and humid in the mornings

      Delete
    2. Who gets a good pic after taking only one? I need to take a few in order to get a good one! Your side bar pics are all great!

      Delete
    3. Thannks Tina :D I am thankful I have the finish line marathon pic - a ton from that day are rough LOL but i am thankful I have my PR half and marathon finish!!

      Delete
  2. Hills are always very hard for me! I'm incorporating some hill work into my long runs for my marathon training so we'll see how that goes, lol.

    I have some classically bad race photos - I may share them on my blog one day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hills are a special kind of beast LOL
      I hope training goes well for you.
      We should always share our classic race pics ;)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting your running photos! I always looks like a turtle in mine, they always catch me when my extra skins is flying forward... I hate it!

    It seems that May has been a challenging month, I blame the change of seasons !

    You are strong, it will come back to you! When I'm struggling, I always tell myself this phrase I read somewhere "it doesn't get easier, but you do get stronger".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, I have a bunch of those skin flapping pics!
      You are right, the change to warm and humid stole the gains I had been making, I am just trying to hang on now. I hope I can have a good half next month and then I'll be ready to chill for summer.

      Delete
  4. Karen, I'm actually OBSESSED with that cray picture. That's honestly one to frame!

    Your arms look buff, your stride looks like you're flying and your face looks like you're in your own little world having a great time!

    The one from the hilly half is great too -- it looks like you're looking for money on the ground! Like you're thinking "surely they are paying me to run up all of these hills! Where is my money?!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. baahhahaha, I was not really having a great time that day LOL This was a downhill section that came after the hills in the park and I remember feeling like I needed a lot more downhill in my life!
      I could use some money, I'll keep looking!

      Delete
  5. I've gotten so I actually like the bad pictures. What does that say about me? I just can't take it seriously anymore! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I am with you, I can't take this too serious either!

      Delete
  6. I don't know how marathon Photos stays in business with their ridiculous prices. I can't remember the last time I bought a pic. Maybe NYCM?? Don't beat yourself up about feeling weak/slow. I know that feeling. I'll bet it's hormonal. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those prices are really crazy! marathonfoto is the worst.
      Maybe it is hormones...I don't know what to think some days about how weak I feel, and it can come and go without notice!

      Delete
  7. I feel your pain in both the struggle bus area and the race pic area! I posted not too long ago about how terrible all of my race pics are and posted a real gem from my Quarry Run...it was a beaut!!

    Lord knows I can empathize with you on the health issues. I'm trying to get my cholesterol down with my diet which hopefully will lower my blood pressure as well. It really does suck getting "old"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on working on it!! We can not give up, although sometimes I take a break and do what I want LOL This getting old stuff is serious, but as long as I still feel okay when I am done I am going to keep on trying.

      Delete
  8. LOL. That's a cute cake pop - definitely motivation to keep running. ;-)

    Those are some priceless race pics. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate cake pop is my favorite lol portion control :) unless I buy more than 1 but I would never do that ;)

      Delete
  9. Those cake pops will definitely do the trick! I've gotten to where I enjoy the bad pictures more than the good ones! I have a LOT of bad ones. Toothless. My favorite of yours is where you are looking down! (If I don't look maybe it will go away! ha ha). I'm stopping on my runs now too. It's the humidity. I can run miles and miles non-stop during the winter. No can do in summer! Cut yourself some slack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a cake pop addict now lol
      It is crazy, I can't even run slow some mornings and make it all the way. I think I cut myself too much slack last week LOL I just bailed completely on my long run. I only have two long runs before my next race! I am going to need to dig deep to make myself accomplish them. I don't want to see hills and have to look down again to remain sane LOL

      Delete
  10. Oh Karen you and your race photos are hilarious!! Why do you think your energy is zapped?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know to expect a crazy looking lol they outweigh the good ones!
      Hormones are probably playing apart and my thyroid is slow.
      My heart being enlarged on top of that plays a role also, and my stress has been off the charts for months with little relief, I try to manage it but everyday there are more challenges.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤