Monday, August 14, 2017

I Cannot Believe I am 51 🙈

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals Holly  and Tricia  and Michelle @ Running With Attitude    Join in the fun 💙













Last week I rested a lot!

7- Rest day

8- Rest day

9- Bike Ride - 25.08 mi 2:07:38

10- Henrico Warm up - 1.01 mi 0:11:03
      Henrico Moonlight 4 miler - 4.06 mi 0:42:05
     
11- Rest day

12- Evening Bike Ride - 21.31 mi 1:49:18


13- Back to it - 4.01 mi 0:43:19
      Walking - 1.77 mi 0:31:35
      Strength Training -1:22:52


I've had quite the head cold for the past few weeks and I was feeling a bit run down, and the aches in my left calf were building so I had to let the summer goals go.
My plan was four runs while I was on my summer work schedule.
(Three 40 minute runs and one 10K a week)
I am little hard headed once I set my mind on something so I had a very difficult time breaking that rhythm. However, I am going to start half marathon training this week anyway, so the smart thing for me to do was rest and be ready for whatever Coach HoHo tells me to do!

After I rested Monday and Tuesday, the temptation was lurking to hop back in Wednesday and check off my four runs. The urge was bad, like a dangling dark chocolate bar, but I resisted because my left calf was still feeling just a little tight. That urge to check off the runs is real!
I had to remind myself this:

Muscle absorbs impact, when muscles are fatigued and tight they can't absorb the impact and your bone is compromised and at risk for injury. 
The PT drilled this into me when I was injured a few years ago, but I had to do some self-coaching to make myself chill.
You would think as much as I've been hurt this wouldn't be hard anymore...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The fitness highlight of my week was the Moonlight 4 miler on my birthday.


I talked run buddy into meeting me and we ran in the freaking evening heat. It was no joke…it was about 85 degrees, but we both needed a few miles for the week and it was really fun it was on my actual birthday night 💖
It was hilly, actually a few pretty big hills, and we pushed as hard we could. Mile three, I was starting to feel wonky and a little too hot, I was losing steam fast...so I dumped water all over my head and that seemed to help just enough to get me to the end. Run buddy could have finished faster for sure but we stayed together and finished upright!


We laughed when we saw our average, it felt so much harder when what the numbers show…
But considering most of our 10K heat runs were 11:25 – 11:40 average this was a step up!

My other non related fitness highlight was a ride on a boat at sunset - very nice 💗



Surprises are fun and this was 51 :) 



Normally I don't have big birthday celebration or surprises so last week was pretty fun even though I really am 51!

I am excited to get back to training this week! 
Oh and this weeks senior moment, I did some elliptical time but I forgot to start my watch...lol oh well 😃

Thanks for stopping by 💞














Ever had popsicles after a race?? It was the best!
Gone on a sailboat ride?
Do you have a hard time just chilling for a week?
Ever get a summer cold that took forever to shake?


14 comments:

  1. Aww what a nice surprise when you got to work. Hey you are only as young as you feel right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! How cool that you did a birthday race, even if it wasn't cool at all. :-) I suck at taking rest days. I know my cranky calves would appreciate it though ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love me some post-race popsicle!!!

    Glad your birthday was so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at ALL THAT LIVING... you make 51 looks AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The birthday race and sunset boat ride sound like a great way to usher in another year :) And I did the same thing on the treadmill last week and forgot to start my watch. Oh well, it still counts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I are both turning 50 this year (well, me in April, but him in Sept). I feel like I should plan something for him! I'm not sure he would like the attention of a party though. I can't decide! Someone did a great job decorating for you! 51 looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy your birthday was so special & what a nice birthday present from your running buddy.

    We have done sunset sailboat rides a number of times -- so peaceful.

    I am always super tired when I get a cold. Thankfully I don't get them too often. I hope that you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those bday balloons are precious!! It's fun having a run on your bday, isn't it? A couple years ago, the Leprechaun Chase was on my bday...and I felt so special when all of my friends serenaded me at the finish line ;-) Glad you had a great celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! I just turned 51 too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY to popsicles and birthdays! I turned 51 this year too! Enjoy the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!! A race on your birthday is the best way to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to run a race on my birthday. It has never worked out :( I think the hardest thing for us ALL to do is rest. But it is the one thing that makes the most difference in staying healthy. I can't wait to work with you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you pulled off a pretty great birthday after all! The moonlight race sounds fun. It's funny to think that 85 is cooled down for me here in Vegas but still considered HOT for you. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun is that - a run ON your birthday and a surprise and balloons! Happy birthday!! By the way, I totally know what you mean about being hard headed...that's totally me over here!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤