Sunday, August 20, 2017

Training Week #1

This week kicked off half marathon training with Holly! She is going to coach me this training cycle and I am excited to turn the thinking over :) This coaching things is all new to me, and I would call week one a win!
I am running a half October 21st, November 11th, and December 2nd.

October 21st is my target race, but I am not sure what kind of target I am trying to hit yet!
I'll just have to see how my feet hold up, distance is always a challenge.

October still has the possibility to be notoriously hot and humid in the morning, so if it turns out to be a tough morning, I'll flip my sights to November and hope it is a nice day!
I have a lot to pack in, so I'll be trying to to find a way to trim these training recaps so you won't fall asleep trying to read them!

I have been running a lot of miles, not long distance miles, but fairly consistent weekly mileage for several months, so I feel like I have a pretty good base right now...well of all easy miles. LOL  I just crossed 700 miles for the year.
Last week I cut back to only 9 miles of running and biked because I was experiencing some calf tightness, and I felt like my legs needed the break. Coach HoHo wanted to start with 3 runs a week, so I am trying to roll with it and let my mileage drop down in hopes my legs will get stronger with the recovery time.

Monday - Rest day! It was so freaking humid I did not mind resting :)

Tuesday - Training run #1 4 easy 
5:40 a.m.
4.20 mi
47:58 11:25 avg
Avg HR 139
Elevation gain 159 ft.














The haze was a step up from cruel for this run, I could actually see the water swirling in the air as my knuckle lights broke the darkness. I felt like I needed a bush whacker to part the screen of thick water...it was tough and I was glad this was and a low intensity run. My body feels very heavy in the high humidity and it has been my norm all summer to hit 11:30 - 12:00 minute miles, especially on hills. I don't walk or pause, that is just the speed I move at. Sometimes I am awed by how hard even small elevation gains feel in the heat.



Wednesday - rested all day except for 10 hours at work ;)

Thursday - Training #2  200's x 8 (:55 to 1:00 per 200) 
5:40 a.m.
4.05
41:40 10:17 avg
Avg HR 149
Elevation gain 54 ft

Since I struggle with easy miles in the typical morning humid 73-78 temps, I confess I was a little nervous about 200's.  I actually did not try to hit any specific paces, I just tried to pick up the pace and see what I could do without dropping over.  I didn't even look at my splits until I was at work to see how I did. I had a few snafus, but overall I feel like it was a very good session and I was pretty close to my target pace.
I headed up to the school near me because it is flat!! I can take off my running belt and water bottle while I run loops and it has light.  I pre-programmed this workout in my Garmin with a mile warm up/cool down mile in my watch, so I could just gooooo run. Problem was... the school is just a little further than a mile, I hit my first 200 when I was trying to cross the street...so I ran down the shoulder till I got a break in traffic!
When I got to the spot I wanted to drop my stuff I needed a restroom break, so I ran and popped a quick squat. I paused my watch, I hate pausing when I start a work out but what are you going to do?!  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I left my belt and water bottle on the curb and started around the loop...my headphones lost connectivity...I never claimed to be a genius πŸ™ˆ πŸ˜… or maybe I was not awake enough at 6 a.m. to think clearly. I did a few more 200's, but I finally stopped and put my belt back on so I could hear some music.
I was uncomfortable in the heat, but I never got lightheaded or nauseous, it was a big ol' sweat fest but I felt accomplished when I got in the shower.

200's
8:32 (1:03),  8:34 (1:03), 7:44 (:57),  8:17 (1:01),   8:07 (1:00),  8:19 (1:02), 7:54 (:58),  8:11 (1:01)
my recoveries were also 200's and I stayed 11:00 - 11:20 pace








FridayTreadmill - 2.35 mi 0:39:17
Legs and Core - 1:08:29
I was feeling very fatigued, which is strange because I have cut my mileage sooo much the past two weeks, but fatigue was chasing me all week so I slept in late and went to the gym. My mood was very dark (I've had a lot of dark days the past few weeks) ...I walked on the TM with incline. I realized I needed a good endorphin pick me up, so I did five 30 second strides and I started to feel like a new person. Thank goodness for endorphins! My perspective flipped completely and I could see some light again. Hopefully Coach Holly will forgive me, it was the only running I did outside of my plan. 

SaturdayArc machine- 0:16:43
Upper Body - 0:49:05
I did not get to the gym until very late afternoon and I had not eaten all day. It was a short upper body session because Kenny and I needed to eat. I busted out as much as I could, then I went and an ate a Boca burger with a egg on it #nomnom

Sunday - Training run #3 7 comfortable 10:40 - 11:00 target pace 
7:03 a.m.
7.00 mi
1:17: 23 11:03 avg
Avg HR 144
Elevation gain 220 ft

This was my first time programming a target pace range into my Garmin so I had no clue what to expect. I put 10:40 to 11:10 as my range. I admit I was very worried about trying to hit these paces and I gave myself a few more seconds thinking about how I struggle on hills in the heat.
I kept taking turns that avoided hills and provided some shade.  My Garmin would display my pace when I dropped below my target and would also beep and tell me when I was back in target range.
I started to feel fairly fatigued about mile 5 because I am not use to running that fast, but overall I did not have any major struggles.
I finished strong and enjoyed my walk home (2 miles). I was drenched and I drained my pack dry, 2 liters w/2 tablets of Nuun in it.

When I synced my Garmin I was surprised, all my usual screens with data were there except my splits.












Weird right! It doesn't really bother me not knowing mile by mile, I can still see my pacing and zones, so I think I will use it again next week for my long run because it really does help keep me on track. Without the cues from my watch I would have easily settled into that 11:30 or slower pace.
I felt pretty good about this run. I did feel a bit more used up than I normally would, but I didn't feel I over did it at all.
15.25 running miles...quality miles πŸ’¦πŸ˜‰

Random Notes from the week: 

I got run gum from Marcia and I give it a thumbs up. Thank you πŸ’—πŸ’—Marcia!!

I almost always run fasting in the morning and I have cut way back on my caffeine intake, so I do feel like chewing this gave me a boost. I felt a little more energetic during my weight sessions and my long run this week.













I also got this cute mug from Kristina who is donating a portion of the money to organizations that help animals. As a fellow furry mom I can appreciate her mission, and I know many of you can as well!
You can read about her online shop BEAMM

I enjoyed a cup of coffee Sunday after my run

























This was only my 2nd cup of coffee all week! I made a yummy breakfast after my run Sunday.


















That pre - programming in my Garmin is becoming quite handy for training! 
Have you used it or created any work outs with your Garmin or device you use?

Have you tried Run Gum? 
Do you make up your routes as you go? 
How did your week go? 

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals Holly  and Tricia  for the weekly wrap! 
Madhuri @ Ponder 'N' Wonder  is hosting this week. Stop by and show her some love. 
Please, wrap it up with us!

Thanks for stopping by! 
Karen 


38 comments:

  1. I have my Garmin programmed for my run/walk intervals. It's so handy! I don't always use them, but it's nice to know they are there.

    It's also nice to have a coach manage your training. All you do is look at that plan and execute. No thinking. Just go! You're in good hands with Holly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my intervals ready too, it is nice. I use to carry a timer with me, but now I can just switch over if I need it :)
      I am excited to work with Holly!

      Delete
  2. I have not figured out how to use those features of my Garmin. I'm debating figuring out how to upload the course for the Reston ride .... How cool to be working with Holly! I'm sure she's set you on the right path to meeting your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried to upload a course in my Garmin yet!
      I am excited to work with Holly, week one already pushed me out of my comfort zone a bit ...which is good :)

      Delete
  3. I would like to try the run gum too. I am attributing the humidity to my feeling more tired and run down lately but who knows. Sounds like your new plan is off to a great start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is the heat, I've had a tough few weeks, maybe it will be better this week! I am sure you will have a nice time getting a break from it this week.

      Delete
  4. So cool that you're working with Holly!!!

    I also love the programming feature in my Garmin. Very handy!

    Oh, and I love, love that coffee mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to be working with Holly!
      I really like Kristina's design :)

      Delete
  5. I have never attempted to program anything into my Garmin LOL I'm quite happy with the GPS feature and looking back over my splits when I finish. I know, I'm a total tech moron LOL I need to play with the Garmin a bit and test out some of the bells and whistles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was odd to me the splits were the thing missing LOL but I realized last night I should have preprogrammed the target pace per mile LOL live and learn :)

      Delete
  6. Woo-hoo! Hooray for the first week of training. I love the start of a new training cycle. I have a Garmin but I haven't figured out all the awesome features yet, lol.

    I love the breakfast you made for after your run! Looks super yummy and filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if the heat would just go away so I can really enjoy my runs that would be great lol but it was a pretty good week - heat and all :)

      Delete
  7. I'm also doing a race on one of those same dates! Hmm, I wonder if it's the same one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is a local race, Nov. is Richmond! and December in Florida :)

      Delete
  8. All the best with your new training cycle and new coach! Glad you like the Run Gum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for letting me try the Run Gum, I think it is a win :)

      Delete
  9. The good thing is, my training plan constantly changes and adapts to you. That is why you only get one week at the time. ;) If we need an extra run day, sure -- we can do that. But I want you to give the 3 days a chance. The goal is to have those tootsies healthy and ready for race day, yes? Great week, Sista! Look at those speedy 200s in the HEAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I want to see if the three days helps my feet. I don't think I will see much improvement with my feet, but I haven't tried anything different for awhile, so why not :) If you are okay with me doing a few strides if my mood dips that may be all I need lol

      Delete
  10. I'm glad the endorphins helped with a pick-me-up on Friday! Sounds like a solid first week of training. I used a Garmin training plan this Summer while I wasn't actually training for anything and it was nice because I could sync it directly with the watch to have my workouts there and ready. I'll have to figure out how to program it with my own workouts now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I need that pick me up to clear my head!
      Oh, you used the calendar feature to add workouts...I was looking at that, but I have not tried it yet. The gadgets do make life easier!

      Delete
  11. You are a genius - the problem is the time, 6am is NOT meant for clear thinking! LOL! Well done on your first week of coaching. My running changed after I got a coach - it became a lot more focused! So enjoy the journey and best of luck with those Half Marathons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree LOL Clear thinking is not meant to happen too early lol
      I think the coaching will be good for me :)

      Delete
  12. You are doing great! How inspiriting!

    I don't do much but run. Never programmed my Garmin. I only use it after a race to check my paces.

    I wish I was coachable...have zero discipline to follow anything...

    I bet HoHo gets you to a PR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well it is just week 1 LOL hopefully I can keep up with Holly and not make her crazy. I don't doubt her skills at all but my feet are very fickle, I am not sure if PR is possible to even dream about!

      Delete
  13. I have so much to still learn about my Garmin. I've only been doing easy runs the past several months, so I haven't tried programming any workouts yet.

    Great job on week 1!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was living in easy run land lol this picking up the pace thing is a challenge :)

      Delete
  14. I do make up my routes as I go!

    Trying to hit paces can be really intimaditing, but ti's so satisfying when you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will chase shade all day and flat LOL
      It is nice making myself go a little after months of easy only paces.

      Delete
  15. I love setting my intervals on the watch! it's so easy and convenient !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't pre-programmed my Garmin yet. I'm still learning how to use it since I've only had it a couple of weeks.

    I tried the Run Gum, too. I'm not a gum chewer at all, and I was so surprised by how much my jaws ached the next day after chewing my first pieces. I was fine after trying the other two flavors.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My jaws will get tired like that from gum and even sometimes if I have nuts.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  17. Targeting 3 races is a great idea since it takes the pressure off of having to do well and worrying about the weather at any one race. My Garmin will not auto-lap and record splits if I set an interval at more than 1 mile. For example, if I program in 1.5 miles for a warm-up it won't give me the splits for the 1st mile but lumps it all in together. Maybe setting a pace range does the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that is exactly!
      I should have put it mile by mile, I just lumped it as one workout and didn't really think about it. However, I think I may just do it like that, it worked well! I don't really need my splits.

      Delete
  18. Happy half marathon training kickoff! I'm jealous! :)

    Thank you for sharing a pic of your meow mug! I love seeing the cups make their way around the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the awesome mug!!
      You will be back to training soon, but I know exactly how that feels and it isn't fun.

      Delete
  19. Great job this week and yay for the first week of training! You did great!! Sorry about the gloomy few days but I agree with you, endorphins are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is amazing what a difference a little endorphin burst can make!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤