Monday, October 23, 2017

Petersburg Halloween Half


I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals for the Weekly Wrap!
Join in with Holly @ hohoruns and Tricia@ MissSippiPiddlin
http://hohoruns.blogspot.com












I ran half marathon #18 on Saturday hoping for a 2:15 or better finish and I fell a bit short, but I still had a pretty good day.



My goal was very reasonable, a 10:15 -10:20 pace should be very manageable for me, I really don't believe I am setting the bar too high or setting myself up for disappointment, I should be able to accomplish that mission. 

Here's the details:
I got all my working out done by Wednesday and rested till Saturday.
Monday - 3.55 mi (37:28) 90 minutes weights and core
Tuesday - walking w/Andrew
Wednesday - 3 mi (33:33)
Saturday - 13.1

walking w/Andrew

I ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast, drove 35 minutes, grabbed my bib, and ran 5 minutes to warm up. Boom! Ready for the 7 a.m. start.

It was 52 degrees and it felt dewy...not the crisp clear morning I hoped for, but there was a coolness in the air and usually at that temp I am fine in the morning humidity. It was 62 at the end of the race, so it was warming up, but not drastically. I had a 24 oz. throwaway bottle with two tablets of Nuun in it and 1 pack of honey stinger chews.

I used the restroom about 6 x's ...seriously, my badder is annoying. We heard a great rendition of the national anthem and off we went. I felt much less nervous than usual and I was confident that I could break 2:15 for the day.

I had created a workout in my Garmin. Run a warm up mile, because things are usually too bunched up in the beginning of race to interval, and then go 3 minutes running, 40 seconds walk break x 11 then switch to miles at a 9:45 - 10:20 pace to finish up the race. 
I hoped the small amount of intervals in the beginning would incorporate enough rest for my foot so it wouldn't throb by the end...and it worked well! 
The race was really small this year. It was much better attended the past few years and I wonder if it will survive for another year. 
They changed the course so it would be different from the spring race through the battlefields. However, a few sections were coned off but open to traffic, this became hazardous a few times around mile 8 and 10-11ish...which is usually about the time runners are really getting tired and not quite as alert. More about this in a minute. 

Those beginning miles were pretty peaceful as we ran through town, then back to a sports complex and looped out. Tranquil, shady, and people thinned out fast because the race was so small, 119 for the half distance. 
My intervals started during mile 2 and I knew they would carry me until around mile 5. I ate a chew during each walk break.
I tried to take it easy and let my legs warm up, they felt a little sluggish, not particularly heavy, just not super loose. I tried a few times to push and my legs and they would get that heavy feeling, but when I backed off they felt okay. I kept hoping my legs would warm up and come to life. 
On a quiet road I took a quick trot off course to pop a squat...dang bladder, but I was super fast. 

When my intervals ran out about 55 minutes in, I tried again to pick up the pace, but it didn't feel sustainable, as soon as I backed down a bit I felt fine...I ignored my pace cues and ran off effort. 
Steady run mile splits: 
10:14, 10:26, 10:28, 10:30, 10:44,10:22, 10:39, 10:24, last half mile at 9:30 

After we looped out from the sports complex we ran back through the city, and it got dicey at a few points. The cars were not staying outside the cones and one car in particular blew past me, and ran up fast on two girls who were ahead of me and honked the horn, I could hear them yelling to the driver about the cones and it being a race but I couldn't make it all out. A few more cars drove through very fast even though the speed limit was 35 on this road, all this was going on around mile 9.

There were a few good hills along the way too! 343 ft. of elevation gain total for the course. The car incident at mile 8/9 happened on a big hill and I do think it was a factor in people moving to the right slower because they were getting tired and focused on getting up the hill.

Everything after mile 9 was busy with traffic and around mile 10, cars were driving inside the cones here too. Police were at intersections stopping and directing traffic, but in between you were on your own. I ran on the rickety old sidewalk for a good long time between miles 10 and 11 because  the right lane was coned off and I didn't like cars coming up from behind me. Most runners stayed in traffic though. 
I only used two hydration stops for Gatorade because I sipped from my throwaway bottle most of the race. 
I did dump some water over my head at the last water stop because I was starting to feel warm. Even though it felt fairly cool I was still covered in a layer of salt...ewwww. I could tell at that point my right arm was chafed raw on the underside, so I guess I sweated my body glide off, but that seems to be the worst of it for this race. 
I didn't have my usual burst of speed toward the end, I knew I wasn't close to my goal so I just ran in steady. I felt pretty lack luster about my finish time, but the medal was cute 🎃


I felt a few twinges in my feet during the race, my glute had a few shots of pain, and a little soreness in my ankle at the end, but all that passed...just minor annoyances. Overall, it was a great long run, I just wasn't as speedy as I expected. 
I have zero excuses. I prepped well, had good weather, it just wasn't my day.  I tried a few times to pick up the pace, but my body was very stuck in the 10:30ish rhythm. 


I was hoping to make Coach HoHo proud and check off that goal race, maybe by Richmond half I'll feel ready to try again.
This happened because it was a small race! It is a cute award. 

 
Official time 2:19:43 - a 10:40 average pace

My last five races have all been very close to this time and it's funny because each race had very different circumstances, weather, and training behind it. The one exception of the last five was Glacier, I ran a 2:30:53 and I was thrilled with that because so much elevation was involved and I took my time to enjoy the views.

Hopefully before 2017 ends I will crack 2:15 again, but even if I don't I am still happy running all the miles 🙌💕 

How do you feel about races open to traffic? 
Any car/driver stories from a race? 
Relate to my bladders woes? 
Anyone pre-programming your Garmin yet? I am quite attached to this feature! 
Thanks for stopping by! 
Karen


32 comments:

  1. O gosh, I hate when I have to worry about traffic during a race! I am sure coach Hoho is just as proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few times it was a bit too much traffic for my liking! and thank you :)

      Delete
  2. The traffic situation sounds really scary during this race! I'm glad the running by feel worked pretty well and you were able to finish without any significant pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will run this course again, the spring race is better for sure. Thank you, I feel like I found a pretty good interval/run mix that works for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry but that race course sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. One of the things I disliked about PCB was running with the cars. Drivers don't like to be inconvenienced. I'm really glad nothing happened and that you finished close to your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy!
      I did not love the traffic at PCB either but at least it was advertised and I knew, I guess I wasn't expecting it for this one. It did feel like a disaster waiting to happen during that one stretch.

      Delete
  4. Down here, most races are open to traffic so I guess I'm kind of used to it and unfortunately, there's always that one driver that acts like a jerk! While you didn't hit your goal pace, you still had a really good finish time! Proud of you! Congratulations on a good run and an AG award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It really wasn't a bad day minus my one gear lol
      We had a string of drivers kind of being jerks :(

      Delete
  5. I know you wanted to be speedier but you had a solid race and finished without being injured! Some days I just can't get my body to run faster either. Except this morning... a white van drove past me and I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD because all I could picture was someone opening the van door, grabbing me, and throwing me in!! Maybe think about that at your next race???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have those mornings where someone will wig me out and off I go! LOL I see people just sitting a lot which creeps me out. Who just parks in a neighborhood and sits in the car?

      Delete
  6. Wow!! Running a half marathon with open traffic! I can't believe the race organizers put all of you through that danger! That is a terrible way to organize a race. Any races that say "open to traffic" automatically go in my NO WAY list.

    You did great, I'm sure Coach Holly is proud of you! I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana :)
      I doubt I will run this one again...I do try to avoid traffic if I can.

      Delete
  7. That's scary how the traffic was such an issue...too bad some drivers can't be a little more accommodating. My bladder is always on high-alert...it's SO frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was dicey...
      I always say I need new feet, but I actually need a bladder too LOL

      Delete
  8. Some days there seriously is just no explanation for how we run. I have days I run when I'm "fast" (for me) without trying, other days when it seems like everything is just perfect and no matter how hard I try I'm just sluggish . . . again for no reason.

    I KNOW you made Coach Hoho proud. You've only been together a few months -- and training isn't always linear. I think it's great you were that steady and mostly pain free.

    I've run a fair amount of halfs where they're open to traffic or at least partially open to traffic. It's always hairy. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same way! It is very hard for me to pin down what works and what doesn't because there seems to be randomness factor to it.
      Traffic just depends oh how exposed you are, but i don't love it.
      Hopefully Coach Ho is proud :)

      Delete
  9. What us up with some drivers?!? At the Columbus Marathon a guy decided to just barrel out of his driveway into runners. I've seen issues with cars too many times. Sorry it wasn't the race you wanted but you know what I say: Finishing is winning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia :) I did feel good and finish.
      Sometimes I am floored at how folks behave!

      Delete
  10. They can't all be PRs, but you should be proud that you had a strong long run and that you ran it pain free! I've never heard of drivers being so inconsiderate like that. Obviously a race was going on. What's wrong with people?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No they can't, it has been so long since i ran a PB or even speedier I can't hardly remember.
      It was tough for a few miles! I am glad no one got hit.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a good race, I know it wasn't exactly what you wanted but you wasn't that far off at all. I know you made Coach Ho proud regardless! I wonder if I can do my 235 Garmin that way??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!
      I bet you can pre-program the 235 :) It is a very handy tool!

      Delete
  12. My dear friend, I am SO PROUD of you! You kept running when things didn't feel like rainbows and butterfly kisses. You just kept at it -- stronger and stronger with a beautiful strong finish. Hello? You won an age group award! I agree with Teresa, most of our races are with traffic. Thankfully, most people are very respectful though. Thanks for linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you :) I hope to get that finish I want one of these days!
      I can run for miles just not speedy lol

      Delete
  13. You were very close to your goal and ran a steady race! Congrats!

    How did your stomach handle the chews?

    That is too bad about the cars on the course. Grr. Idiots.

    Cool medal and congrats on the AG award!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I like the chews, they seem pretty mild. Sports beans do okay also, but sometimes the flavor will get to me.

      Delete
  14. So glad the aches and pains didn't turn out to be anything crazy! Congrats on a great race! LOVE that medal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I always seem to have a few aches during a long run, is it possible to have a long run without any disturbances?? lol

      Delete
  15. Well done for completing the race close to goal. Sometimes it just isn't your day to hit the paces you want, but sounds like it was a great run all the same! That medal is too cool! (Awful, awful about the traffic situation - I got nervous just reading that part)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      The traffic made me nervous too! I've haven't heard any bad news reports so I think all survived.

      Delete
  16. All that traffic sounds horrible! But that medal sure was cute. Good news about your foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic was rough for sure!! I do like the medal it even glows in the dark lol I need a way to display them all now, my rack is full.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤