Monday, July 31, 2017

My Sore is Sore

Picture heavy post warning!

I am linking up with my awesome running gal pals Holly  and Tricia  
I'm linking up with the lovely and inspirational Deborah @ Confessions of a Mother Runner for the weekly wrap! 


The theme of my week has been, "My sore is sore"

I've been working hard at my fitness challenge with Clarinda from Enjoying the Course. Some exercises went better than others, but overall I have done every exercise and I have tried new things! When I go to the gym I've been incorporating several of the exercises into my workout and I end up sore.  I also discovered my single leg balance needs a ton of improvement. Single leg deadlifts were a serious mess. Motion and balance...oh crud, I am so challenged!
I've also discovered Burpees are extremely evil.
It was a win I was able to do them though. In the past, any time I've tried burpees I would get sharp pains in my wrist (I have ganglion cysts) and my toes, but I held up for 40 and wow, did I crack a sweat. Some part of my body was sore for every workout I did this week!


 This has been the norm for July. That is 6 a.m. I am so over it!


So when I woke up last Monday and it was 73 degrees I wondered if I could trick my body into believing it was "cooler". Normally 73 and humid is still survival mode for me,  but I've been baking in the mornings.  Why not try?! The worse that can happen is I will have to just go slower. 




Progression does not come natural to me. I have a hard time picking it up just a little and I often will have flip splits, one mile a little faster... one a little slower, because it feels more comfortable.  I do try to play around with a progression run when my mind needs a distraction or my legs feel good. My legs just felt so tired during mile two I could barely hold on, but then things flipped a bit. I guess I need a longer warm up.

Tuesday morning my glutes were talking to me!  How the heck does picking up the pace a little make me so sore?! 
It was all I could to keep moving. This is a pretty typical heat run for me, I call it my summer shuffle. I went into work late so I had time,  I just kept plugging away at the miles. This is the furthest I have run since my half last month. 
77 and mega humid - this is all I got! 


I thought I would be cutting back on miles, but it worked out to be a pretty good mileage week.


Our buddy run this week was another brutal 80+ degree run and we both struggled a little, but we got it done. Toward the end we found the most magnificent road.  We looped the block and ran it twice as our reward. Shade!!!





The shade and trees were all so pretty! We couldn't resist a  run photo opp! 

Then we walked 4 miles  and found some other great views. 


Sunday the most amazing thing happened! After rain and storms on Saturday some drier cooler air rolled in. Serious, 63 degrees at 7 a.m. it was like a dream after all these tough days.
It wasn't a perfect run, I was sore from workout Saturday (dang burpees) but that was not enough to make me want to stop. When I got to my planned four, I just kept running savoring the low humidity air. 
I finally stopped because I was so thirsty! If I wore my pack I might still be running LOL 

It felt so good to be able to push myself again! But I made my sore glutes, more sore! So as I type this Monday morning, the incredible weather did hold up, but I decided to not to run this morning because I felt like my body needed a break. It is so hard missing out on a fabulous morning, but sometimes I just gotta chill. 

Burpees?! Love or hate? 
Progression runs? Do you enjoy them? 
How's your balance? Have any great weather in  your neck of the woods? 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Karen 

31 comments:

  1. We've had a great stretch of weather here too, which made yesterday's sucky run that much more depressing. Don't you feel the pressure of wanting to squeeze it all in on those good days?

    Great month for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes! I do feel like I need to get out there when it is nice because it doesn't last long, but I can have rough runs on nice days too.

      Delete
  2. We had a nice cooler day yesterday and it was heaven! Over the humidity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great running week Karen!! on those lovely views on your run! and the shade is always welcome!

    I haven't done a progression run in a long while... it would hurt if I tried it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ana :) I could feel the speedier miles for a few days lol

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I definitely have a hate/hate relationship with burpees. And I have difficulty with those single leg exercises too... definitely something to work on. It sounds like you had a great week overall though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how a few exercises can reveal such a weakness, I have been avoiding them ever since, but I do need to work on it :)

      Delete
  5. Love the pics from your buddy run! Good that you got to experience some cooler weather. When the weather is brutal week after week, it can be soul-sucking. Some cooler days are rejuvenating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soul sucking is the perfect description lol
      I am sad the heat is back, I keep hoping she and I will get one nice day, we just have a few more weeks to go.

      Delete
  6. Girl, if you recall my posts about those dang HIIT classes the hubs and I were going to and that evil little bouncy instructor who kept calling out some variation of burpees ....ugh! They are the devil incarnate and they will make every muscle in your body sore! Good job running through all of that soreness though! You're a tough little cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Thanks, I feel kind of creaky right now lol
      I can imagine the HIIT classes would kill ya!

      Delete
  7. My balance has improved a lot in recent years from yoga (though infrequent) and all of those recent leg lifts. That said, I'm still a clumsy clod. Burpees are brutal to my hammies (and piriformis issues), so I avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do more yoga, but I just can't seem to fit it all in. I always chose something else lol
      My hammies are finicky too.

      Delete
  8. I suck at progression runs. I tend to panic and run the miles way too fast and then I'm dead in the end. I admire your ability to get up so early and work out. Since summer vacation Lola and I have been enjoying many hours of sleeping in LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should sleep in and enjoy that time :)
      I do the same things with progression, I have hard time finding anything between warm up and push and hold it LOL

      Delete
  9. Great miles for the week! Way to run in the heat! I'm not looking forward to the heat wave starting tomorrow, 4 days of 100+ deg heat. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exercise - UGH! Occasionally(very) I drag myself to the gym to use some machines.

    You are doing great getting your runs done. I wish I could go in late. I am so lazy in the am....
    You are dong great on getting your runs done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I take annual leave in the summer every so often to run so I can get up at 5:30 or 6:00 lol those early mornings get to me. I can't do it often during the school year.

      Delete
  11. We did get the most beautiful weather yesterday. Unfortunately most of it got wasted on us.

    40 burpees. Well, no wonder you're sore! Does anyone really like them? They are effective, though!

    I'm glad you got some of the cooler weather too. Hang in there, it'll come back . . . maybe not soon, but it will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been avoiding burpees ever since but I should do them more!
      The cool weather is already gone, I hope it comes back soon LOL

      Delete
  12. YAY for shade! That makes it so nice! Burpees are from the devil. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LoL at "my sore is sore"! I totally understand how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sore glutes mean that eventually you'll have strong glutes and they won't be sore.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wait wait wait... did you say you did 40 burpees? Dang girl!! I was on a roll for a month where I did them every day, but I could only do maybe 15. Freaking hard! But phew, what a workout! I need to get back doing them again. I give you kudos! ps, loved the senior moments post ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I took a short break about mid way lol I was feeling it. You were brave to do them everyday! It makes my heart race for sure.
      I'm still having senior moments...forgot my ring today. Took it off to lotion my hands and bam LOL walked right out the door.

      Delete
  16. I totally agree that burpees are evil and my balance also needs some work. It's fun to push ourselves, though, isn't it?! Thanks again for doing my challenge with me.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤